Windows access
Author Message
 Windows access

I'm pretty much a pure DOS user (I use Win 3.11 about once per month)
and from time to time I write utils in PB 3.5 for blind people. So far
they've all had DOS screen readers so there has been no problem, but
increasing numbers are now Windows-only. So, while the utils can still
run (even in Win2k ?), they can't get any feedback and even starting
them is problematical.
Ideally, I'd like to be able to bolt a simple 16-bit Windows interface
onto the utils, but I don't even know if that's possible, let alone how
easy it might be. Maybe a Windows front-end is a possibility, but
already I'm out of my depth :(
Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Alan.
--
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                   ~
~     Alan Monty          ~    Panic now to avoid the rush.   ~

Thu, 30 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows access
If what you need is the "text screen" interface to get the feedback, you
might want to try using the powerbasic Compiler, which outputs a text
screen.

Tell you what: for some reason your application (aiding the blind) sounds
like the kind of thing I'd like to donate a little more time to. A number of
years ago I helped someone force PB/DOS to print through the  BIOS (not PB's
normal text printing mode): he had an application which intercepted the BIOS
calls and ran the text into a speech-synthesizer. Very rewarding to me,
knowing I did something good.

The first thing that comes to mind is the the Windows "Accessibility
Options", which are designed .. well, let's see what Microsoft has to say...

"The Accessibility wizard makes it easier for people with disabilities to
operate a computer without installing special software. Accessibility
options-such as StickyKeys, ShowSounds, and MouseKeys-are designed to help
users with specific disabilities make full use of the computer."

"..Notes. You can also start the Accessibility wizard by clicking Start,
pointing to Programs, pointing to Accessories, pointing to Accessibility,
and then clicking Accessibility Wizard. "

If that does not get you started in the right direction, drop me a note at
the address below if you'd like me to take a shot at porting one of your
PB/DOS utilities to PC/CC or maybe just find some alternate way to generate
feedback. We can discuss your needs more effectively off-line.

Regards,
-
Michael Mattias
Tal Systems
Racine WI USA

Quote:
> I'm pretty much a pure DOS user (I use Win 3.11 about once per month)
> and from time to time I write utils in PB 3.5 for blind people. So far
> they've all had DOS screen readers so there has been no problem, but
> increasing numbers are now Windows-only. So, while the utils can still
> run (even in Win2k ?), they can't get any feedback and even starting
> them is problematical.
> Ideally, I'd like to be able to bolt a simple 16-bit Windows interface
> onto the utils, but I don't even know if that's possible, let alone how
> easy it might be. Maybe a Windows front-end is a possibility, but
> already I'm out of my depth :(
> Any ideas would be gratefully received.

> Alan.
> --
>   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                   ~
> ~     Alan Monty          ~    Panic now to avoid the rush.   ~

Thu, 30 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows access
On Sunday, in article

Quote:
> If what you need is the "text screen" interface to get the feedback, you
> might want to try using the PowerBASIC Compiler, which outputs a text
> screen.

No, what I need is some sort of non-text interface. Unfortunately, DOS
and 32-bit console apps are regarded as being identical from the screen
reading point of view and require a DOS (or at least a text mode) screen
reader. Most blind people are on short commons financially and since
screen readers cost an arm and a leg, those who are buying today only
get a Windows one.

Quote:
> Tell you what: for some reason your application (aiding the blind) sounds
> like the kind of thing I'd like to donate a little more time to. A number of
> years ago I helped someone force PB/DOS to print through the  BIOS (not PB's
> normal text printing mode): he had an application which intercepted the BIOS
> calls and ran the text into a speech-synthesizer. Very rewarding to me,
> knowing I did something good.

Yes, I know how you feel.

Quote:
> The first thing that comes to mind is the the Windows "Accessibility
> Options", which are designed .. well, let's see what Microsoft has to say...

Thanks, that's worth investigating.

Quote:
> If that does not get you started in the right direction, drop me a note at
> the address below if you'd like me to take a shot at porting one of your
> PB/DOS utilities to PC/CC or maybe just find some alternate way to generate
> feedback. We can discuss your needs more effectively off-line.

Thanks for that.

Alan.
--
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                   ~
~     Alan Monty          ~    Panic now to avoid the rush.   ~

Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Video For Windows access in 32 bit

2. Microsoft Windows access with Forth.

3. Microsoft Windows access with Forth.

4. Access to Access Databases with Windows Regina?

5. accessing access from Python on windows

6. windows clipboard access with windows xp

7. Functions to access Windows Registry

8. accessing windows DLL's from RealBasic

9. -- HELP -- Serial port access w/VW20, Windows

10. Realbasic for Windows and an Access database?

11. MySQL database access with Windows 98

12. Rename - Access Denied - Windows NT