QBasic Decompilers
Author Message
 QBasic Decompilers

I've been searching the net and CANNOT find a single one!  Could someone
kindly point me in the right direction?

Wed, 24 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 QBasic Decompilers

Quote:

>I've been searching the net and CANNOT find a single one!  Could someone
>kindly point me in the right direction?

Yes. The correct direction is toward "Where you keep your backup"  because
there is no such thing as a BASIC-language de-compiler, except for selected
versions of Microsoft Visual Basic when the program was compiled only as far
as the P-code.

(Lest you think you have fooled me with a trick question: "QBasic" is an
interpreter, so nothing was compiled with it. Is it possible you just meant
"Basic?" That's what my answer is based on).

Michael Mattias

Wed, 24 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 QBasic Decompilers

Quote:
> I've been searching the net and CANNOT find a single one!  Could someone
> kindly point me in the right direction?

Mmmm... decompilers. A tricky topic.

Do you have the source in an unreadable format? Most Microsoft BASICs
have tended to save source code in a "tokenized" format, which can be
converted back into text sources with a relative minimum of effort. In this
case, generally, keywords such as PRINT are converted into codes such
as CHR$(xxx), and the rest remains fairly recognizable. There are a few
such detokenizers available.

Do you only have an .EXE file? Then, you've got a real problem. It's not
impossible to write a program that decompiles such things back into
BASIC code, but it's a hideous business, and (as far as I know) has not
been undertaken: too much work for too little potential profit. You'd have
to charge a major fortune for the product. The results would be lacking
in niceties such as meaningful variable names and labels, and wouldn't
be pretty. If the .EXE was compiled with debug info turned on, some of
this information might be recovered, but this would be even less likely.
Generally, you'd be better off rewriting the software from scratch.

Thu, 25 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to RB this QBasic Code?

2. qbasic source code

3. Qbasic source code archive