OT: Task Manager Software needed
Author Message
 OT: Task Manager Software needed

Wrong newsgroup, I know, but:

Does anyone know of some good 'task manager' software?

What I am looking for is something with the functionality of MS-DOS batch
files:

- Start and execute a DOS or Windows program, with option to run
synchronously or asynchronously (i.e., choice of "launch and return
immediately" or "launch and wait for the program to end before resuming").
- Execute a step conditionally based on the return or error code of previous
task
- User-written scripting
- Test for files' existence and/or file size

But I want a few more features...

- Show on the screen the current step being executed (user-friendly)
- Optional or automatic logging of session to disk file
- Allow user to terminate the script while running (after current invoked
task completes/ends)
- Ability to store multiple scripts and select which one to run
- (Optional) mechanism to prompt and accept user values which can then be
used as parameters to next step. Examples: "Run this step Y/N?" or "Enter
Filename to process"

I would prefer the software be Windows-based, but will look at MS-DOS.
Should cost no more than $250-$300 US (single user).

Scheduling (i.e, "run daily at 2:00 AM") is not necessary - I am looking for
something to assist a user to run a series of 'on-demand'  tasks in the
correct order.

If such an animal is not available commercially, I will consider writing it
myself, but I feel no great compelling reason to re-invent the wheel.

I am not interested in being the first user of a new product.

Product/company names, web sites, other news groups, search tips all
appreciated.

Thanks for all replies,

--
Michael Mattias
Tal Systems

Wed, 15 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 OT: Task Manager Software needed

Quote:

> What I am looking for is something with the functionality of MS-DOS batch
> files:

> - Start and execute a DOS or Windows program, with option to run
> synchronously or asynchronously (i.e., choice of "launch and return
> immediately" or "launch and wait for the program to end before resuming").

What about the win95 or NT START command  (they are unfortunately
different but)

START /WAIT will wait for completion.

Quote:
> - Execute a step conditionally based on the return or error code of previous
> task

if ERRORLEVEL

Quote:
> - User-written scripting

A Batch file

Quote:
> - Test for files' existence and/or file size

if exists

Quote:

Ok now I will get a little more realistic:   Look at source.cygnus.com
for the Unix tools.  It includes (along with all the unix commands you
could want) bash. With bash you have a full scripting language.

You can run the script with 'tee' which copies the file and dumps it
to console at the same time.

In KSH (another shell scripting language) you can use 'set -x' to turn
on debugging so that you can dump the commands as they execute.  (Some
unix guru confirm this).

Quote:
> I would prefer the software be Windows-based, but will look at MS-DOS.
> Should cost no more than $250-$300 US (single user).

The price is right  ZERO.   I have run these for 12 months without any
problems.

Quote:
> Scheduling (i.e, "run daily at 2:00 AM") is not necessary - I am looking for
> something to assist a user to run a series of 'on-demand'  tasks in the
> correct order.

Look up the 'at' command in NT.  It is there for you to use.  I have
looked this up but not used it in anger yet.   It appears that
Microsoft ripped off enough from SCO unix to make a decent Cron.  I
would assume that WIn2000 would have the same things.

Thanks
Ken Foskey
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~waratah/

For fast secure document delivery on the Net
http://www.themailxchange.com.au/

Wed, 15 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 OT: Task Manager Software needed
Find a copy of the IBM REXX interpreter for the operating system
of your choice. There are versions that run on OS/2, Windows, MS-DOS
PC-DOS VSE, MVS and others.

The main IBM page for REXX is

URL http://www-4.ibm.com/software/ad/obj-rexx/ibmrexx.html

There is also another REXX interpreter called Regina that
is available from other sources.

A search at http://www.alltheweb.com on rexx and regina
should provide a number of leads

Lorne

 Sat, 29 Jul 2000 11:56:33, "Michael Mattias"

Quote:

--
Lorne Sunley

Wed, 15 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 OT: Task Manager Software needed
you could just use win9x and Obasic, or even winbatch..........
Our DOS based server at work uses a package which allows us
to run tasks simultaneously (9 tasks at the mo). I can't remmber the name
but its Pascal based, if it is of interest to you then let me know and I will
find the details.
Quote:

> Wrong newsgroup, I know, but:

> Does anyone know of some good 'task manager' software?

> What I am looking for is something with the functionality of MS-DOS batch
> files:

> - Start and execute a DOS or Windows program, with option to run
> synchronously or asynchronously (i.e., choice of "launch and return
> immediately" or "launch and wait for the program to end before resuming").
> - Execute a step conditionally based on the return or error code of previous
> task
> - User-written scripting
> - Test for files' existence and/or file size

> But I want a few more features...

> - Show on the screen the current step being executed (user-friendly)
> - Optional or automatic logging of session to disk file
> - Allow user to terminate the script while running (after current invoked
> task completes/ends)
> - Ability to store multiple scripts and select which one to run
> - (Optional) mechanism to prompt and accept user values which can then be
> used as parameters to next step. Examples: "Run this step Y/N?" or "Enter
> Filename to process"

> I would prefer the software be Windows-based, but will look at MS-DOS.
> Should cost no more than $250-$300 US (single user).

> Scheduling (i.e, "run daily at 2:00 AM") is not necessary - I am looking for
> something to assist a user to run a series of 'on-demand'  tasks in the
> correct order.

> If such an animal is not available commercially, I will consider writing it
> myself, but I feel no great compelling reason to re-invent the wheel.

> I am not interested in being the first user of a new product.

> Product/company names, web sites, other news groups, search tips all
> appreciated.

> Thanks for all replies,

> --
> Michael Mattias
> Tal Systems
> Racine WI USA

Fri, 17 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. OT: Task Manager Software needed

2. Task manager task.py updated

3. Multi-Tasking software for DOS needed

4. Icon in Task Manager

5. My program stands on the task manager ?

6. access to task manager info from labview vi?

7. Using Task Manager stats within LV?

8. VAX Ada Tasks and VMS Lock Manager

9. Can someone show TASK MANAGER example ?

10. like the CPU usage recorder of win2000's task manager

11. W2K Task Manager & Trap

12. OT: Choosing software (long response)