plotting packages
Author Message
 plotting packages

Anybody care to comment on scientific plotting packages available for PB?
Looks like most of the big commercial outfits are catering to MS and Borland
while leaving the rest to fend for themselves.

I'm looking at a project which will eventually be commercial so GNU or open
source are iffy.

Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:11:31 GMT
 plotting packages
You talkin' 'bout some kind of "bolt-on" library you can add to your PB
programs?

In the Windows environment?

Any commercial package which uses standard Windows DLLs should be usable
with PB/Windows; that said. some of the stuff for use with MSVB and MSVC++
are hooked into the MS-runtimes. (Those are not really DLLs, they are
"Active X" DLLs, or in-process OLE servers)

I gotta believe there are "standard" plotter libraries available from places
like Provantage.

Well, looky here, I have a Provantage catalog right here on my desk. Let's
see if I can find anything...

Well, not much on "plotter". Maybe Crystal Reports? Hmm, not much in the
"libraries" section of the catalog at all.. let's look a little
further...say, don't some of the printers come with standard "plotter-type"
interfaces and drivers? Yeah, here in the "printers" section I see the word
"plotter" a couple of times....

On further reflection, isn't a plotter just a printer, anyway?

Or am I missing what you want to do?

--
Michael Mattias
Tal Systems

Quote:
> Anybody care to comment on scientific plotting packages available for PB?
> Looks like most of the big commercial outfits are catering to MS and
Borland
> while leaving the rest to fend for themselves.

> I'm looking at a project which will eventually be commercial so GNU or
open
> source are iffy.

Sat, 14 Feb 2004 05:04:17 GMT
 plotting packages

Quote:
> You talkin' 'bout some kind of "bolt-on" library you can add to your PB
> programs?

Exactly, plug and play, so to speak.

Quote:

> In the Windows environment?

Yup, should've mentioned that I'm working with PB/DLL

Quote:

> Any commercial package which uses standard Windows DLLs should be usable
> with PB/Windows; that said. some of the stuff for use with MSVB and MSVC++
> are hooked into the MS-runtimes. (Those are not really DLLs, they are
> "Active X" DLLs, or in-process OLE servers)

I've found several packages with standard DLLs which leaves me trying to
translate their C or Pascal over to PB. Not impossible at all, but if I can
avoid that step it'd be nice.

Quote:

> I gotta believe there are "standard" plotter libraries available from
places
> like Provantage.

> Well, looky here, I have a Provantage catalog right here on my desk. Let's
> see if I can find anything...

> Well, not much on "plotter". Maybe Crystal Reports? Hmm, not much in the
> "libraries" section of the catalog at all.. let's look a little
> further...say, don't some of the printers come with standard
"plotter-type"
> interfaces and drivers? Yeah, here in the "printers" section I see the
word
> "plotter" a couple of times....

> On further reflection, isn't a plotter just a printer, anyway?

> Or am I missing what you want to do?

Well, you started off on the right foot but lost it in on the
plotter-printer correlation. I just need to draw 2-D and 3-D plots on the
screen, be able to send them to a printer, and perhaps even put'em on the
clipboard so some poor analyst can use'em in their reports.

Up to now, I've been using Excel as a front end for my application and PB
dlls as the number crunching portion. Now its time to look at building a
stand alone app so I've got to replace and improve on the graphing ability
of Excel. Since my programming experience is primarily numerical methods and
engineering analysis using fortran and Basic, I believe that investigating
the "bolt on" solutions is worthwhile.

Thanks for your time and help,
Clark

> --
> Michael Mattias
> Tal Systems
> Racine WI USA

> > Anybody care to comment on scientific plotting packages available for
PB?
> > Looks like most of the big commercial outfits are catering to MS and
> Borland
> > while leaving the rest to fend for themselves.

> > I'm looking at a project which will eventually be commercial so GNU or
> open
> > source are iffy.

Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:58:23 GMT

1. cross platform gui plotting packages

2. Ada Scientific Plotting Package for X-Windows/Sun/Alsys

3. graph/plot packages for Ada/X

4. Any Freeware/Shareware Postscript Plot Packages for Fortran

5. Problems with Piddle plotting package, Help.

6. Cal Comp Plotting package for fortran

7. Dislin is a nice plotting package

8. call for comments on Graphite plotting package

9. pgplot plotting package for python?

10. Plotting Package for Python 2.3

11. Plotting Packages

12. Good Plotting Package