Newworking
Author Message
 Newworking

Hi all,

  For the first time I find myself engaged in a large project that will
require networking. There will be 2 or more machines running the program all
sharing the same data and if/when portions of that data change each of the
separate computers will need to read in the new data. Is there some elegant
way to do this (Win98 or better)?

Drop a message in a file for the other computers to pick-up and read?

Have each program check the time stamp on the file(s) that have been modified?

Any ideas?

--
C'ya,

  Don Schullian
www.DASoftVSS.com
www.basicguru.com

Mon, 05 Jan 2004 11:38:31 GMT
 Newworking

Quote:

>   For the first time I find myself engaged in a large project that will
> require networking. There will be 2 or more machines running the program all
> sharing the same data and if/when portions of that data change each of the
> separate computers will need to read in the new data. Is there some elegant
> way to do this (Win98 or better)?

> Drop a message in a file for the other computers to pick-up and read?

> Have each program check the time stamp on the file(s) that have been modified?

MySQL or PostgeSQL on Linux (you said "or better" :-) )

John
--
use Perl;
program

Mon, 05 Jan 2004 12:29:47 GMT
 Newworking

About two months ago in the powerbasic source code forums, I posted an
"Internet Cookie Monitor" application which shows how a program can watch
for a change in a disk file using a separate thead and act when that
happens.This might be just what you need. (PB/DLL SDK-style code).

I do not have the url handy, but a search on title "cookie" or submitter
"Michael Mattias" finds it.

--
Michael Mattias
Tal Systems

Quote:
> Hi all,

>   For the first time I find myself engaged in a large project that will
> require networking. There will be 2 or more machines running the program
all
> sharing the same data and if/when portions of that data change each of the
> separate computers will need to read in the new data. Is there some
elegant
> way to do this (Win98 or better)?

Mon, 05 Jan 2004 20:05:26 GMT
 Newworking

Quote:

>>   For the first time I find myself engaged in a large project that will
>> require networking. There will be 2 or more machines running the program all
>> sharing the same data and if/when portions of that data change each of the
>> separate computers will need to read in the new data. Is there some elegant
>> way to do this (Win98 or better)?

>> Drop a message in a file for the other computers to pick-up and read?

>> Have each program check the time stamp on the file(s) that have been modified?

>MySQL or PostgeSQL on Linux (you said "or better" :-) )

John, BETTER <> BIGGER! :)

--
C'ya,

  Don Schullian
www.DASoftVSS.com
www.basicguru.com

Mon, 05 Jan 2004 22:16:33 GMT
 Newworking

Quote:

>About two months ago in the Powerbasic source code forums, I posted an
>"Internet Cookie Monitor" application which shows how a program can watch
>for a change in a disk file using a separate thead and act when that
>happens.This might be just what you need. (PB/DLL SDK-style code).

>I do not have the url handy, but a search on title "cookie" or submitter
>"Michael Mattias" finds it.

Thanks, I'll have a look-see...

--
C'ya,

  Don Schullian
www.DASoftVSS.com
www.basicguru.com

Mon, 05 Jan 2004 22:24:19 GMT
 Newworking

Quote:

>>>   For the first time I find myself engaged in a large project that will
>>> require networking. There will be 2 or more machines running the program all
>>> sharing the same data and if/when portions of that data change each of the
>>> separate computers will need to read in the new data. Is there some elegant
>>> way to do this (Win98 or better)?

>>> Drop a message in a file for the other computers to pick-up and read?

>>> Have each program check the time stamp on the file(s) that have been modified?

>>MySQL or PostgeSQL on Linux (you said "or better" :-) )

>John, BETTER <> BIGGER! :)

And SMALLER <> BETTER either  8-)>

Pick a database engine that does what you need it to, and worry about the
size later, if at all.  FWIW, the executable for MYSQLD isn't particularly
large, although I've never used it on windows.

Mike-

Quote:
>--
>C'ya,

>  Don Schullian
>www.DASoftVSS.com
>www.basicguru.com

       Please note:  My public PGP key is available on my web site.
              The web page is at http://www.catherders.com

          Because network administration is like herding cats.

Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:27:10 GMT