What is PBDLL??
Author Message
 What is PBDLL??

I've used QuickBASIC for years and now am fairly competent in VB.  But
I've not, until recently, known of the existence of these other
distributors of BASIC.  Since I'm wanting to expand my experience to
coding for other platforms (Linux, OS/2, Mac - I currently code for
Win9x) I'm looking at these other offerings.

PB Console I understand- and it would be a great treat to be able to
call API's from a console app :-)

But I don't really understand what PBDLL *is*.  Is this just a DLL
add-on for PB Console?  Or is it a stand-alone product of it's own?
Does it have a graphical dev enviroment?  (A recent post about a 3rd
pty enviroment would lead me to believe the answer is "no".)

Can somebody shed a little more light on exactly what PBDLL is and how
it works?

Thanks much,
- Shawn

Mon, 11 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What is PBDLL??

Quote:
>Can somebody shed a little more light on exactly what PBDLL is and how
>it works?

   I also come from the VB world, and I've been curious about what
PB/DLL comes with. That is, I'm used to having some of the nice VB
controls like PictureBoxes and ListBoxes and the Common Dialog
Controls and ComboBoxes and such. Does PB/DLL come with this stuff?

Mon, 11 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What is PBDLL??

says...

Quote:
> >Can somebody shed a little more light on exactly what PBDLL is and how
> >it works?

>    I also come from the VB world, and I've been curious about what
> PB/DLL comes with. That is, I'm used to having some of the nice VB
> controls like PictureBoxes and ListBoxes and the Common Dialog
> Controls and ComboBoxes and such. Does PB/DLL come with this stuff?

The powerbasic DLL Compiler for Windows is many things...

First, it is an "addon" produc to Visual Basic.  You can create true
machine code DLLs that can be called from Visual Basic (or any Windows
programming language for that matter).  The DLLs are completely stand-
alone, they do not require any additional DLLs or runtime files.

PowerBASIC code typically compiles to 20 times smaller than Visual Basic
and up to 40 times faster than Visual Basic.

The PowerBASIC language is "not" 100% compatible with Visual Basic, so
you can not simply compile your Visual Basic programs with PowerBASIC.
To create DLLs you write SUBs and FUNCTIONs in PowerBASIC which you then
DECLARE in VB and call like any other SUB or FUNCTION.

Second, PB/DLL is a stand-alone product.  Visual Basic or another
programming language is not required.  You can compile BASIC code to
stand-alone .EXEs, again with no external run-time requirements.  "Hello,
World!" in PB/DLL compiles to just 6k.

With version 6.0, PowerBASIC added a new technology called "Dynamic
Dialog Tools".  DDT allows you to create GUI interfaces in your code.
For example,

  DIALOG NEW hParent, "Caption", x, y, width, height, style TO hDlg
  CONTROL ADD BUTTON, hDlg, "OK", ButtonId, x, y, width, height
  CONTROL ADD TEXTBOX, hDlg, "", TextId, x, y, width, height, style
  DIALOG SHOW MODAL hDlg

These four lines of code allow you to create a dialog with an "OK" button
and a text box.

You can download sample code for PB/DLL from our FTP site at
ftp.powerbasic.com/pub/pbdll32/

I highly suggest the ADDRESS.ZIP and SMTP.ZIP examples which really show
off DDT and TCP/IP support.

You can also visit our web BBS at www.powerbasic.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi
and read messates from existing customers and our support staff.

--Dave

Mon, 11 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What is PBDLL??
Check PB's web site at http://www.powerbasic.com

Lots of info there.

--
Michael Mattias
Tal Systems

Quote:

>>Can somebody shed a little more light on exactly what PBDLL is and how
>>it works?

>   I also come from the VB world, and I've been curious about what
>PB/DLL comes with. That is, I'm used to having some of the nice VB
>controls like PictureBoxes and ListBoxes and the Common Dialog
>Controls and ComboBoxes and such. Does PB/DLL come with this stuff?

Tue, 12 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What is PBDLL??
I've already been there.  The information I read was too vague to
answer my questions.  Which is why I'm asking them here.

- Shawn

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:14:41 GMT, "Michael Mattias"

Quote:

>Check PB's web site at http://www.powerbasic.com

>Lots of info there.

>>>Can somebody shed a little more light on exactly what PBDLL is and how
>>>it works?

>>   I also come from the VB world, and I've been curious about what
>>PB/DLL comes with. That is, I'm used to having some of the nice VB
>>controls like PictureBoxes and ListBoxes and the Common Dialog
>>Controls and ComboBoxes and such. Does PB/DLL come with this stuff?

Tue, 12 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What is PBDLL??
Thanks, Dave.  This helps, but I still don't have a complete
understanding.  Perhaps you can clarify a few things:

Quote:
>Second, PB/DLL is a stand-alone product.  Visual Basic or another
>programming language is not required.  You can compile BASIC code to
>stand-alone .EXEs, again with no external run-time requirements.

This is what I want to hear :-)  And compiling stand-alone DLL's is an
extra bonus.

Quote:
>With version 6.0, PowerBASIC added a new technology called "Dynamic
>Dialog Tools".  DDT allows you to create GUI interfaces in your code.
>For example,

It sounds like DDT is a library that allows the programatical addition
of GUI objects- correct?  Is there a visual creation tool (like VB)
that would allow me to draw these objects instead of creating them
programatically?

Quote:
>You can download sample code for PB/DLL from our FTP site at
>ftp.powerbasic.com/pub/pbdll32/

Wouldn't I need PB/DLL in order to run this code?  I'd like to be able
to see some stuff before I fork over the bucks for any compiler.

Speaking of; is it possible to call the compiler from the
command-line?  I've got a generic development enviroment app that I
might want to use- but it would need to be able to call the compiler
and pass any required parameters.

Quote:
>You can also visit our web BBS at www.powerbasic.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi
>and read messates from existing customers and our support staff.

I'll try to scoot on over some time soon.

BTW, is there a demo version of PB/DLL?

Thanks!
- Shawn

Tue, 12 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What is PBDLL??

says...

Quote:
> >With version 6.0, PowerBASIC added a new technology called "Dynamic
> >Dialog Tools".  DDT allows you to create GUI interfaces in your code.
> >For example,

> It sounds like DDT is a library that allows the programatical addition
> of GUI objects- correct?  Is there a visual creation tool (like VB)
> that would allow me to draw these objects instead of creating them
> programatically?

No, you have to create the GUI interface programattically.  There is no
"visual design" environment for PB/DLL.

Quote:
> >You can download sample code for PB/DLL from our FTP site at
> >ftp.powerbasic.com/pub/pbdll32/

> Wouldn't I need PB/DLL in order to run this code?  I'd like to be able
> to see some stuff before I fork over the bucks for any compiler.

There are pre-compiled executables along with the source examples.

Quote:
> Speaking of; is it possible to call the compiler from the
> command-line?  I've got a generic development enviroment app that I
> might want to use- but it would need to be able to call the compiler
> and pass any required parameters.

Yes, the compiler is a command line product so you can use any third-
party editor that you like.

Quote:
> BTW, is there a demo version of PB/DLL?

No demo version available at this time.  We offer a 30-day money back
guarantee.

--Dave

Fri, 15 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What is PBDLL??
I'm very glad I ended up in this newsgroup with my troubled mind. Despite
the 'few' topics covering what PB/DLL really is, I'm getting more and more
convinced that it's something I easily could convince myself to need.  8o)
Despite this fact, I would like to state, before I rush out my own
questions, that the official PB site unfortunately is somewhat vague in
answering some important issues. Bragging isn't always so very
informative. - I hope that is something that will change..

I've now printed parts of the PB site, read a few postings in the PB run
forum, but still I had some questions to finish the puzzle I was stuck with
after this. To begin in the other end, I quickly found myself assured that
PB/DLL could make stand alone DLL's that was extremely fast. But as most
applications I've developed in VB (3.0, 5.0 and 6.0), speed has never been a
real problem/challenge. What has been, is the size of the distributed
package. - A 50kb database application, shipping with 9.5Mb dependencies.
It's a shame. With an absolute minimum package footprint of 1Mb runtime
DLL's, I consider it more or less hopeless to develop, among other things,
Internet applications in VB.
Finally I've come to the point that I know PB will create minimum sized
applications, and require me to struggle more with WinAPI than ever before.
So in a way I'd like to compare PB to C++ packed into a mixture of a more
human friendly language.
At several occasions PB is referred to as an add-on to VB without clarifying
the relationship between these two. - Except from the 'Basic' part. And
maybe more interesting; what's the difference? Yes, I've got the thing about
speed, and size. So I'm more after the things that hides under the hood.

Since it's mentioned that the learning curve can be steep on Windows itself,
and thus makes PB 'hard' to learn/use. I was wondering about the
availability of free source/samples, add-on's and reasonable priced goodies
of other kinds. And I find myself somewhat curious about the facts of life
with PB. - The environment and the feel of using it. As I'm experienced in
VB (teacher), I've really learned to appreciate such functions as VB's line
based syntax check, the 'auto complete' and other things (the form creation)
that makes programming a joy. So flat out, how is really the environment of
PB/DLL? The screenshot I found at the site was kind of insufficient to give
a god hint. I'm left behind thinking it's like creating web pages with
Notepad. And that's not really something I long for.
Ok, I admit, I got the thing about DDT. But I wouldn't mind having a better
idea of how it's working.

I have laid back on the sofa browsing trough the SMTP sample, and find it
understandable. But I'm afraid it has left me curious about the manual of PB
as well.

Feel free to shoot in your comments to my 'questions', as it probably will
'make' me one of you. - Soon..

(And Dave, no offence, I understand youre involved in developing PB. Pleas
keep in mind my view of the site. It's not 'neewbie' (new to PB, that is)
friendly and would probably scare less determined souls from spending the
necessary time to figure it out.

Mon, 08 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What is PBDLL??

Quote:

>I'm very glad I ended up in this newsgroup with my troubled mind. Despite
>the 'few' topics covering what PB/DLL really is, I'm getting more and more
>convinced that it's something I easily could convince myself to need.  8o)
>Despite this fact, I would like to state, before I rush out my own
>questions, that the official PB site unfortunately is somewhat vague in
>answering some important issues. Bragging isn't always so very
>informative. - I hope that is something that will change..

<snip>

Hi,

  I've been using PB's compilers since day one and R. Zale's compilers before
that and the best advice I can give you is "Go for it!" There is a 30 day
money back offer connected to the purchase and, though I've never used it, I'd
not doubt it validity one bit!

  I'll admit that PB is, and has always been, a bit more 'up tempo' than it's
MS counterpoints but that is/was the main reason I opted for it over MS's
stuff. I DEMAND total control. That way I KNOW what's happening.

C'ya,

   ____    _    ____      ____  _____
  |  _ \  / \  / ___) __ | ___)(_   _) Don Schullian

  |____//_/ \_\(____/\__/|_|     |_|    www.DASoftVSS.com
  ___________________________________   www.basicguru.com
      Vertical Software Solutions

Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What is PBDLL??
Hmmm, well... you've asked pretty much a lot of very general
questions, and I'm not sure where to begin or where to go.
Bearing in mind that I work for PowerBASIC, I'm kind of
inclined to step aside and let other people answer, anyway.
I'm sure they will. Meanwhile, let me touch on what I can.

PB/DLL is composed of extremely tight code in assembly
language, and itself generates extremely efficient code.
You can expect applications in PB to take a tiny fraction
of the amount of space required with VB, and with no problems
with having to distribute or update a half-dozen Microsoft DLLs.
PB apps are self-contained.

The BASIC part of PowerBASIC is largely a major superset of
Visual Basic, and should present you with a minimal learning
curve. If you do a lot of GUI development, you'll almost certainly
want to supplement PB/DLL with the PowerGEN GUI design tool.
PB/DLL's own GUI handling is closely related to the actual Windows
design, and more powerful (but more difficult to deal with) than VB's,
which imposes its own layer of design. On the other hand, if
you've done much work with traditional languages, you're
liable to find the PowerBASIC approach a lot more intuitive
(and a lot less disruptive) to your programming style.

The PowerBASIC development environment is not
generally quite as Cadillac-smooth as the latest VB
releases-- one of the prices you pay for saving a few
megabytes in your production code. Consider PB more
of a sporty vehicle-- fast, small, and elegant. For better
or worse, you *will* get more "feel of the road". By the
same token, you'll have better control over what you're
doing.

If you have specific questions, please feel free to address

money-back guarantee (excluding email delivery).

Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What is PBDLL??

Quote:
>There is a 30 day money back offer connected to the purchase

  Not on email delivery, so the 'money back' offer is not an important
  issue to me. Neighter is actually the price, which I find fairly
reasonable.
  I already have a request for a small Internet application that will cover
  the cost, and then some..

Quote:
>I DEMAND total control. That way I KNOW what's happening.

  Sure I follow you there. Control is something I like. But then again it's
not
  the ultimate thing, so as I said; creating web pages in Notepad is full
  control, but..

  As a side step. How easy is it actually to develop DLL's with PB? I got
  this idea that it's just to put the needed declarations, a sub/function
and
  "compile dll" into a text (BAS) file, and hit the button.. - At least I
love the
  idea of such simplicity in (ab)using available power.

  Btw.. I like the environment in this newsgroup! I find you fellows here
very
  helpful and so far - friendly.

Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What is PBDLL??

Ok, here is my 2 cents worth on this topic..

Quote:
> I'm very glad I ended up in this newsgroup with my troubled mind...

I only happened along here a few weeks ago, and yep, this is a guru rich
room!

Quote:
> To begin in the other end, I quickly found myself assured that
> PB/DLL could make stand alone DLL's that was extremely fast. But as most
> applications I've developed in VB (3.0, 5.0 and 6.0), speed has never been
> real problem/challenge. What has been, is the size of the distributed
> package...

Same here. The whole idea of PBDLL for me is to write things that either
need to be downloaded (so very small) or things that need only one form. I
've used PB since the first DOS incarnation and follwed PBDLL since it's
inception, but I still wouldn't want to create a full blown app with
hundreds of dialogs in PBDLL

Quote:
> Finally I've come to the point that I know PB will create minimum sized
> applications, and require me to struggle more with WinAPI than ever

before....

I think THIS is the bit that frightens most people off - somehow cutting and
pasting a function from a VB source code archive seems to be easier than
working it out for yourself, but believe me, it just aint so...

Take this example ... some of you may get bored at this point, and may like
to go on to the next message ....

Lets say we need to get the name of the currently logged on user. I have a
declaration and a function to do this in VB, but had no idea how to go about
it in PBDLL. Well, the good news is it's really easy to work out..

Take a look through the Win32API include file that comes with PBDLL (the one
you #include in your app) and it has all these neat functions already made
up for you (some pretty damn good ones to..)

Near the end, you'll find this (these things are easy to find, you can load
the win32api file into the pbdll editor, then use edit/find)

DECLARE FUNCTION GetUserName LIB "ADVAPI32.DLL" _
                            ALIAS "GetUserNameA" (lpBuffer AS ASCIIZ, _
                            nSize AS LONG) AS LONG

In VB, you would pop one of these at the top of a code module, then create a
function to access them (except you would use strings instread of ASCIIZ) in
the definitions..

To use them in PBDLL, you don't even need to define them. Just include the
win32api in your app, then create the function...

e.g.

FUNCTION UserName() AS STRING
' we need somewhere to store the name (would be a $ in VB, but ASCIZZ in
PBDLL)
 LOCAL Buffer AS ASCIIZ * 255
' some temporary space to play with
 LOCAL Temp AS STRING
' go do the API thing (the 255 is just the length of string we have given
it)
 CALL GetUserName(Buffer, 255)
' now we have got the user name in the buffer
' chop off the string at the first chr$(0)
 Temp$=LEFT$(buffer,INSTR(buffer+CHR$(0),CHR$(0))-1)
' retuen and get outta here
 FUNCTION=Temp$
END FUNCTION

Now, in PBDLL (or in VB), everytime you refer to UserName$ , you get the
name - This is not a specially selected simple API call, most of them are no
more complicated. If you've played at all with API calls in VB, then I
promise you'll find them easy to handle

Quote:
> I consider it more or less hopeless to develop, among other things,
> Internet applications in VB.

Now you are talking power - I do ALL of my internet stuff in PBDLL - it just
screams! - How about this (mush simplified, but functional) example of
getting a webpage back in a string..

FUNCTION GetHtmlPage (BYVAL server$ BYVAL page$) AS STRING
  TCP OPEN PORT 80 AT server$ AS #1 TIMEOUT 90
  TCP PRINT #1, "GET "+page$+" HTTP/1.0" + CHR$(10)+CHR$(10)
    DO
      TCP RECV #1, 32767, buffer$
      ret$ = ret$ + buffer$
    LOOP WHILE LEN(buffer$)
    ret$ = TRIM$(ret$, $LF)
    TCP CLOSE #1
  FUNCTION=ret$
END FUNCTION

That's not possible in VB now is it !!

Go on - take the plunge - you will never look back !

Alan

Quote:
> [...]

Pleas
> keep in mind my view of the site. It's not 'neewbie' (new to PB, that is)
> friendly and would probably scare less determined souls from spending the
> necessary time to figure it out.

Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What is PBDLL??

Quote:
> FUNCTION UserName() AS STRING
> ' we need somewhere to store the name (would be a $ in VB, but ASCIZZ in
> PBDLL)
>  LOCAL Buffer AS ASCIIZ * 255
> ' some temporary space to play with
>  LOCAL Temp AS STRING
> ' go do the API thing (the 255 is just the length of string we have given
> it)
>  CALL GetUserName(Buffer, 255)
> ' now we have got the user name in the buffer
> ' chop off the string at the first chr$(0)
>  Temp$=LEFT$(buffer,INSTR(buffer+CHR$(0),CHR$(0))-1)

This can be optimized...

FUNCTION UserName() AS STRING
  LOCAL buffer AS ASCIIZ * 256
  GetUserName buffer, 256
  FUNCTION = buffer
END FUNCTION

By using an ASCIIZ string, PowerBASIC already does the "t{*filter*}" for
you.  And I changed the 255 to 256 because you should always use numbers
evenly divisible by four for maximum efficiency.

--Dave

Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What is PBDLL??
The IDE in PowerBASIC does not have many of the "neat features" found in
Visual Basic.  We tend to spend more time working on the compiler and
language features than we do extraneous features in the editor.  However,
it is progressing (the original editor didn't have color syntax
highlighting).

Many people have even discovered commercial and shareware text editors
with those nifty features and because PowerBASIC can be used from the
command line, the compiler integrates nicely into their editors.

A lot of nice things have been said about PB/DLL, but I think the best
feature of all hasn't really been mentioned, although it's self-
evident...

The users of PowerBASIC are its best feature.  People like Lance Edmonds,
Jules Marchildon, Eric Pearson, Don Schullian, Marc van Dikkenberg,
Michael Matthias, and hundreds of other people who are just as important
take the time to post their valuable source code, read and answer
questions, and promote the product to others.

I learn more about programming and Windows programming every day from our
customers than I do from any book or magazine.  I don't think there is
much of anything that one programmer or another hasn't undertaken to
write in PowerBASIC.  I've seen all manner of applications and code
snippets that make *me* feel like a novice sometimes.

If you take the plunge and start using PowerBASIC, know that there are
people around to answer many of your questions and in many cases even
provide code examples.  Particularly on our Web BBS.

For only $190, you get what is arguably the world's best compiler, and
access to hundreds if not thousands of knowledgable programmers who are
willing to share that knowledge with you.

--Dave

Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What is PBDLL??
One of the things that drives me absolutely nuts is that I
can't e-mail someone just an .exe with Visual Basic.
Every program has to be installed, even if it is just some
small file string utility program that I have written.

Does PBDLL have the same limitations ?

jon

Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

2. Getting Disk Serial Number with PBDLL

3. PBDLL problem ?

4. Bug in PBDLL 5 - HEX$ function ?

5. 3 Jobs for PBDLL programmers in germany

6. pbdll 5.0 and OCX files

7. Visual Designer for PBDLL

8. PBDLL Compiler Questions to the programmers

9. VB forms to PBDLL - Use this

10. PBDLL Bug Report

11. HELP NEED: How to make a Desktop-Link with PBDLL 5

12. Dialog Designer for PBDLL ?