Newbie
Author Message
 Newbie

I have never used PB before, and would like some opinions on it.  As I
understand, you write the dll's in PB/dll, but you need an add in(PowerGen
to write exe's)?  Is it at powerful as VB? Is it easy to learn?  Is it worth
buying, or are there any demos, so I can see if I like it.  Any help would
be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

        Kelly D.

Sat, 27 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie
Thanks Marc for your speedy reply.  I think I'm gonna give it a go.  I do
have a strong background in VB and Borland C.  As long as it's not as
frustrating as the VC++ IDE I should be ok.  Do you know of any good books?

Quote:
>On Tue, 9 Nov 1999 00:21:59 -0600, "Kelly D Domalik"

>>I have never used PB before, and would like some opinions on it.  As I
>>understand, you write the dll's in PB/dll, but you need an add in(PowerGen
>>to write exe's)?

>No -- PB/DLL can create .EXE's all by itself. The only difference is that
>you have to include a statement #COMPILE EXE at the start of the program.

>With PB/DLL 6.0's built in 'DDT' (Dynamic Dialog Tools)  you can
>programmatically create dialog windows. Another possibility is using a
>standard dialog editor, and include the resource files these create.

>> Is it at powerful as VB?

>It has significantly more "raw power" then VB -- certain operations are up
>to 20 times as fast.  No external run-time libraries are required, unlike
>VB. It can create multi-threading applications, etc.

>However -- PB/DLL doesn't have as friendly of a development environment as
>VB does, so it may be a little harder to get started.

>>Is it easy to learn?

>Ease of learning: depends on your background.
>It is a BASIC, so it definitely helps if you have previous experience
>programming in (any) basic.

>It's also a windows programming language. if you've never done any windows
>programming, it might be a bit complex at first -- but that is something
>you are likely to run into with any windows-based programming language:
>it's fundamentally different from programming in DOS.

>>Is it worth buying,

>I personally thing it's definitely worth the price, and so do a lot of
>others.  I'm not a mindreader, though, so you may experience it
>differently.

>> or are there any demos, so I can see if I like it.

>No demo version available... However, PB Inc. gives a full refund on  their
>products if you are not satisfied.
>(Excluding shipping cost -- refund also doesn't apply to electronically
>shipped copies)
>--
>Marc van den Dikkenberg
>--
>The powerbasic Archives (US) -- http://www.pbarchives.org
>The PowerBASIC Archives (EU) -- http://www.xs4all.nl/~excel/pb.html
>All BASIC Code Archives (EU) -- http://www.xs4all.nl/~excel/pbabc.html

Sat, 27 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie

Quote:
Kelly D Domalik wrote...
> Thanks Marc for your speedy reply.  I think I'm gonna give it a go.  I do
> have a strong background in VB and Borland C.  As long as it's not as
> frustrating as the VC++ IDE I should be ok.  Do you know of any good books?

Kelly: *NOTHING* is as frustrating as the VC++ IDE :)

I saw a recent version of the Borland C++ Builder for the first time last
week (hard to beleive, I know), and was absolutely blown away. But about half
my PB programs have used DDT for building dialogs, and it's really easy. I've
also used PowerGen for things that don't seem obvious in DDT (like trayicons)
and that is also pretty natural. I'm new to PB myself within the past couple
of months, and at least for me, there's no going back to VB (except when they
twist my arm to use OLE/COM at work)...

PowerBasic is worth every penny as far as I'm concerned, and learning the
Windows API hasn't been as tough as some make it out to be, especially if
you know some C already.

- Troy

Sun, 28 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie
Thanks for the info Troy!  :-)

Quote:

>Kelly D Domalik wrote...

>> Thanks Marc for your speedy reply.  I think I'm gonna give it a go.  I do
>> have a strong background in VB and Borland C.  As long as it's not as
>> frustrating as the VC++ IDE I should be ok.  Do you know of any good
books?

>Kelly: *NOTHING* is as frustrating as the VC++ IDE :)

>I saw a recent version of the Borland C++ Builder for the first time last
>week (hard to beleive, I know), and was absolutely blown away. But about
half
>my PB programs have used DDT for building dialogs, and it's really easy.
I've
>also used PowerGen for things that don't seem obvious in DDT (like
trayicons)
>and that is also pretty natural. I'm new to PB myself within the past
couple
>of months, and at least for me, there's no going back to VB (except when
they
>twist my arm to use OLE/COM at work)...

>PowerBasic is worth every penny as far as I'm concerned, and learning the
>Windows API hasn't been as tough as some make it out to be, especially if
>you know some C already.

>- Troy

Sun, 28 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Newbie Newbie, we are all Newbie to something

2. Not a newbie, but a newbie question...

3. Does a variable exist? NEWBIE NEWBIE NEW

4. Newbie wants newbie friend

5. newbie BRAND newbie!

7. Newbie Pythom + Newbie Com = Way confussed

8. Trivial Newbie Question (Newbie)

9. Newbie "Why does my program..." Was: Re: Newbie 370 Questions

10. Newbie - as in "really" Newbie!

11. Help a newbie search the archives

12. A few more newbie questions..