Setting the Record Straight 
Author Message
 Setting the Record Straight

From what I have seen on this forum,  a lot of people don't want to say
anything because they already have powerbasic and don't want to jeopardize
their relationship with the company,  or they just feel that it is a
necessary evil that dealing with an arrogant sales staff and owner are part
and parcel of buying a good software product.  I am outside the sphere of
influence PowerBasic so I can say the truth with no fear of repercussions.
I believe I was treated inappropriately for the questions that I asked about
the product.  I asked what their upgrade policy was.   The answer I got was
that if a new version comes out within 30 days then it is free,  otherwise
there is a charge.  I scoured the PowerBasic forums and found several posts
that led me to believe that a new update was necessary as the product was
getting dated.   I sent an email stating my position,  not in any way
abusively,  that I would wait for the new version and was committed to
buying it.  It was at this point that I was informed that I was arrogant and
obnoxious for not deciding to buy right away.  Now I am saying all this to
set the record straight,  as I have been accused of being abusive to the
sales staff,  which never happened.  It was quite the contrary.

If you are with a company where you have to watch what you say just so you
can purchase their product then they need to seriously look at their
policies.  I understand David Navarro's position that they are staffed with
the people who develop the software and they aren't skilled with dealing

company to find out about the software and to ask questions.  That they
weren't prepared to deal with my questions for whatever reason is
unacceptable.  That they called me arrogant and obnoxious because I decided
to wait for an upgrade based on my research is appalling behavior for any
software company of any stature.

Any other justification of their behavior has to be motivated by other
factors.  I have no doubt in my mind that their software is first rate,
that isn't the issue.  The issue is that they have to treat people with
respect,  and not feel they can stomp on people who disagree with them.

Thank you for allowing me this intrusion.

Dan



Sun, 01 Feb 2004 14:37:25 GMT  
 Setting the Record Straight

Quote:
> From what I have seen on this forum,  a lot of people
> don't want to say anything because they already have
> PowerBasic and don't want to jeopardize their
> relationship with the company,  or they just feel
> that it is a necessary evil that dealing with an
> arrogant sales staff and owner are part and parcel
> of buying a good software product.

Uh...  From what you have seen on this forum, people are afraid to post
complaints, so a lot of people must want to complain?  I don't see the logic in
that statement.

Based on my own 16-year history with PowerBASIC, I think there are "a lot of
people" that are reading this thread, scratching their heads and saying to
themselves "Gee, I've never had anything but good experiences with PowerBASIC".

There's really no point in debating this, and I don't intend to get sucked into
a long discussion.  We have different views of the situation, and neither of us
has any statistics to back up our view.  I just thought it was a good idea to
add some balance to this thread.

My own company sent out a Customer Satisfaction Survey a few years back, asking
our customers to rate us on a scale of 1-10 in ten different areas.  Our average
score across all categories was 8.8 (Tech Support was given a 9.85) but we had
to massage the numbers because so many people gave us scores like "20".  We
counted all of those as 11's.

But we DID have some unhappy customers that gave us a "1".

My point is that a certain percentage of the people that deal with ANY company
are going to be unhappy.  The phone company, the cable company, Microsoft, the
auto repair shop, the neighborhood grocery store on the corner... and
PowerBASIC.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but it seems like you're trying to make it sound like
everybody that calls PowerBASIC is treated badly, and that's simply not the
case.  Unfortunately the human impulse is to complain to others when we feel
that we have been wronged, but few preople take the time to write thank-you
notes, so all we see here are the bad experiences.

I don't dispute that you feel you were treated badly.  That's something that
every company should try to avoid.  But to characterize PowerBASIC as a company
that is rude to everybody that calls is unfair and unfounded.

-- Eric Pearson, Perfect Sync Software (publisher of, among other things, add-on
products for PowerBASIC)



Sun, 01 Feb 2004 23:30:42 GMT  
 Setting the Record Straight
We have heard you say this again and again.  Give it a rest.  If you don't
like POWERBASIC then don't deal with them.
Keith Shelton


Mon, 02 Feb 2004 06:38:36 GMT  
 Setting the Record Straight
That was my last post on the subject.  I appreciate all of the feedback I
have received.

Dan



Mon, 02 Feb 2004 07:52:05 GMT  
 Setting the Record Straight


Quote:
> That was my last post on the subject.  I appreciate all of the feedback I
> have received.

> Dan

Thank you. I was getting tired of your {*filter*}ing and moaning.


Mon, 02 Feb 2004 09:31:42 GMT  
 Setting the Record Straight

Quote:

> Based on my own 16-year history with PowerBASIC....

OOPS... CREDIBILITY GAP!

PowerBASIC Inc. did not exist until at least 1991 or 1992.

Did the gentleman from Michigan seek unanimous consent to revise and extend?

MCM



Tue, 03 Feb 2004 07:48:04 GMT  
 Setting the Record Straight

Quote:

> Any other justification of their behavior has to be motivated by other
> factors.  I have no doubt in my mind that their software is first rate,
> that isn't the issue.  The issue is that they have to treat people with
> respect,  and not feel they can stomp on people who disagree with them.

I've not been involved in this discussion, Dan, so what I say might be
repetitive with what others have said. If that's the case, please excuse
me.

First, while I don't doubt what you say is true about your experience
with the folks at PowerBASIC, I'll tell you how I handled things. When I
have had problems in the past and called for help, and Bob Zale answered
the phone, after one or two conversations with him, and getting about
the same treatment that you did, I learned that Bob was not the one I
wanted to talk to when I had a problem. :) I got phone numbers for Lloyd
Smith and dealt with him a lot. Lloyd gave me good advice for dealing
with Bob: don't.

Lloyd gave me some insight into how difficult it is to run a small,
understaffed company on a tight budget and explained how Bob had risked
everything by putting everything he had into it. He also explained that
Bob is a perfectionist and is very {*filter*} himself and his staff because
he wants his products to be absolutely the best they can be. What Bob
lacks in the tact department can be explained by the fact that he is
programmer by trade and not a businessman.  If you understand this, you
understand everything there is to know about the PowerBASIC
organization.

Now, having said that, the reason that I choose to stick with Bob Zale
is precisely the reason you complain about.  Knowing how Bob feels about
his own work and the pride he takes in it, gives me the trust and
confidence I need to continue my relationship with his company, despite
the fact that it isn't particularly gushy with its customers.  You said
it yourself: the software is first rate. That, to me, is the issue. I've
had discussions with Bob, Lloyd, Dave and others about this feature and
that, this upgrade and that, pricing and so forth, and, like you, have
never gone away satisfied with the answers I've gotten. But when I
finally get the new version or product, I am satisfied. It isn't always
apparent when you talk to them, but, in my experience they do listen to
their customers, except in one thing: Bob is determined that PowerBASIC
is not going to be a clone of Microsoft and that is the main thing that
really riles him up.

I'm not going to change your mind about your relationship with
PowerBASIC, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it and PB, too.

Take care.

Lawrence Gordon



Mon, 02 Feb 2004 00:49:15 GMT  
 Setting the Record Straight
Lawrence,

Thanks for your input and information.  Like I said,  from the feedback I
have received, the product is very good but I guess I'm not used to the idea
of being abused by salespeople who are supposed to be helping me.  It is
certainly a different way of doing business.  I guess from what you are

Had I known that from the start it might have prevented me from responding
on this forum.

Regards,

Dan



Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:34:17 GMT  
 Setting the Record Straight

Quote:

> > Based on my own 16-year history with PowerBASIC...
> OOPS... CREDIBILITY GAP!

> PowerBASIC Inc. did not exist until at least 1991 or 1992.

That's true, but my statement was not meant to be misleading, just concise.

I was a Borland TurboBASIC user (and then a beta tester) six{*filter*} years ago.
TurboBASIC was eventually retired by Borland and was acquired by Bob Zale, the
original author.  After a brief tenure with a company called Spectra,
PowerBASIC, Inc. was founded.

So, discounting product-NAME changes, I have a 16-year history with PowerBASIC
(the family of compilers) and with Bob Zale.  And I have been acquainted with
some of his current staff for most of that time.  PowerBASIC (Inc.) did not
exist until some time later.

I stand by my original statement. {smile}

-- Eric Pearson

P.S. I literally Laughed Out Loud at your "clone" response in alt.lang.basic but
I never post LOL-only responses.



Wed, 04 Feb 2004 01:35:48 GMT  
 Setting the Record Straight


Quote:
> Lawrence,

> Thanks for your input and information.  Like I said,  from the feedback I
> have received, the product is very good but I guess I'm not used to the
idea
> of being abused by salespeople who are supposed to be helping me.  It is
> certainly a different way of doing business.  I guess from what you are

> Had I known that from the start it might have prevented me from responding
> on this forum.

I talk to the sales department only to buy products;  I don't ask them any
questions, except about pricing and shipping, or make any comments on the
product.  I'm getting close to 50 years old, but I'm still capable of
learning.  :)  I might add that the last time I ordered something, about 5
or 6 weeks ago, the gentleman on the phone was quite pleasant. I said to him
"This isn't Bob, is it?" <vbg>

I also want to say something else. I was the moderator of the Fidonet
POWER_BAS conference way back when echo mail was the preferred way to send
electronic mail. Bob Zale called the bulletin board I ran and wrote me a
wonderful letter. The idea that there was a real person behind the product
and not some nameless, faceless corporate suits, impressed me greatly at the
time. And it still does.



Wed, 04 Feb 2004 02:49:52 GMT  
 
 [ 10 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Newbie needs to be set straight again ...

2. setting RS for records separated by white space

3. Picking from sub-set of records

4. 'Insert another record' - setting defaults

5. Reclaim Deleted Record with Auto Number Set

6. How to view process or report a sub-set of records from a file

7. RECORD LOCKING(PARENT AND CHILD): TOPSPEED AUTOMATIC SETTING

8. Setting record position in Lookup Browse

9. Set highlighted record to top of browse box after locate

10. ADO and Records Sets etc

11. Track for last record after set filter to a condition

12. SET RELATION uses 2 diff records

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software