Search program on CD
Author Message
 Search program on CD

I am looking to distribute one big table (60mb) on CD.  I would like to
have a simple search program on the CD so a user can just pop the CD in,

and search without having to do an install.  Can this be done with
powerbasic?  If so, does anyone have any examples?

If there is a good 3rd party tool for doing this, I am open to
suggestions.

Mon, 28 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Search program on CD

Quote:
> I am looking to distribute one big table (60mb) on CD.  I would like to
> have a simple search program on the CD so a user can just pop the CD in,
> and search without having to do an install.  Can this be done with
> PowerBASIC?  If so, does anyone have any examples?

> If there is a good 3rd party tool for doing this, I am open to
> suggestions.

What file format is the table in?  What you want to do can certainly be done
in PowerBASIC, it depends on how much code you are willing to write.

--Dave

Tue, 29 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Search program on CD
I am looking to use either Access (.MDB) or dBase (.DBF).  I believe the .DBF's
can be read easier by other.  Some will import the data into their systems,
others will just use the search program.
I am targeting the search program to WIN 95/98/NT users only.

I have looked at using MS Access runtime, but there are to many side effects of
installing it on users systems.

 - Mike

Quote:

> > I am looking to distribute one big table (60mb) on CD.  I would like to
> > have a simple search program on the CD so a user can just pop the CD in,
> > and search without having to do an install.  Can this be done with
> > PowerBASIC?  If so, does anyone have any examples?

> > If there is a good 3rd party tool for doing this, I am open to
> > suggestions.

> What file format is the table in?  What you want to do can certainly be done
> in PowerBASIC, it depends on how much code you are willing to write.

> --Dave

Tue, 29 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Search program on CD

Quote:
> I am looking to use either Access (.MDB) or dBase (.DBF).  I believe the .DBF's
> can be read easier by other.  Some will import the data into their systems,
> others will just use the search program.
> I am targeting the search program to WIN 95/98/NT users only.

> I have looked at using MS Access runtime, but there are to many side effects of
> installing it on users systems.

I don't have any advice on which file format to use, other than it's easier to
access .DBF files from PowerBASIC than Access files.

All Windows versions of PowerBASIC can access files of up to two gigabytes in
size (not a problem since CD's are limited to 650 megs.

--Dave

Fri, 01 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Programming CD-ROM/CD-R/CD-RW

2. Programming CD-ROM/CD-R/CD-RW

3. Programming-search the web quickly with Search Spaniel

4. In search of cheaper Recordable CD's

5. Cross-Platform CD Publishing - best CD-R drive/sw

6. Starting Application Installation Program on CD problem

7. Special font in program on CD

8. CD-Find program name

9. New book on visual programming - contributions to CD-ROM

10. New Phonics Computer Reading Program - CD

11. want code/info for playing audio cd's in CD-ROM

12. CD-ROM programming question, w/ code example