Open source IDE for PB6 written in PB6 - PBSEdit.exe (1/1)
Author Message
 Open source IDE for PB6 written in PB6 - PBSEdit.exe (1/1)

You're right. Here is the URL to download it from my site...
http://www.*-*-*.com/

The source code will be available only via email to selected
serious programmers only.

-Mike

Quote:

>Posting .EXE's to a discussion group is generally considered a VERY bad
>idea -- after all, for all we know it contains every virus under the sun...
>(Just look at the 'MindBender' thingey that appeared just now on some of
>the basic NG's, which apparently contained a virus as well)

>Since it's an open source project anyway, it would have been a MUCH better
>idea to simply post the sourcecode, or point people to your homepage or
>something.

>(Anyone who runs executables posted to newsgroups is ASKIN for trouble)
>--
>Marc van den Dikkenberg

Fri, 30 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open source IDE for PB6 written in PB6 - PBSEdit.exe (1/1)
Not exactly OPEN SOURCE then is it?
Quote:

> You're right. Here is the URL to download it from my site...
> http://SoftByteLabs.com/PBSEdit/

> The source code will be available only via email to selected
> serious programmers only.

> -Mike

> >Posting .EXE's to a discussion group is generally considered a VERY bad
> >idea -- after all, for all we know it contains every virus under the sun...
> >(Just look at the 'MindBender' thingey that appeared just now on some of
> >the basic NG's, which apparently contained a virus as well)

> >Since it's an open source project anyway, it would have been a MUCH better
> >idea to simply post the sourcecode, or point people to your homepage or
> >something.

> >(Anyone who runs executables posted to newsgroups is ASKIN for trouble)
> >--
> >Marc van den Dikkenberg

Sat, 31 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open source IDE for PB6 written in PB6 - PBSEdit.exe (1/1)

Not exactly SERIOUS are you?

Quote:
>Not exactly OPEN SOURCE then is it?

>> You're right. Here is the URL to download it from my site...
>> http://SoftByteLabs.com/PBSEdit/

>> The source code will be available only via email to selected
>> serious programmers only.

>> -Mike

>> >Posting .EXE's to a discussion group is generally considered a VERY bad
>> >idea -- after all, for all we know it contains every virus under the sun...
>> >(Just look at the 'MindBender' thingey that appeared just now on some of
>> >the basic NG's, which apparently contained a virus as well)

>> >Since it's an open source project anyway, it would have been a MUCH better
>> >idea to simply post the sourcecode, or point people to your homepage or
>> >something.

>> >(Anyone who runs executables posted to newsgroups is ASKIN for trouble)
>> >--
>> >Marc van den Dikkenberg

Sat, 31 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open source IDE for PB6 written in PB6 - PBSEdit.exe (1/1)

Yeah, I think he was. And correct, too. Open source projects by definition
make the source code freely available to anyone and everyone. That is
definitely not what you are proposing.

I looked at your .exe and it shows signs of being a good forms designer and
editor. However, I was unclear as to where the compilation and debugging
tools fit in. I would assume an IDE to have those components, along with a
number of other features. Perhaps you have a specification document which
describes the development path you intend to pursue?

Quote:

> Not exactly SERIOUS are you?

> >Not exactly OPEN SOURCE then is it?

> >> You're right. Here is the URL to download it from my site...
> >> http://SoftByteLabs.com/PBSEdit/

> >> The source code will be available only via email to selected
> >> serious programmers only.

Sat, 31 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open source IDE for PB6 written in PB6 - PBSEdit.exe (1/1)

Quote:
>Yeah, I think he was. And correct, too. Open source projects by definition
>make the source code freely available to anyone and everyone. That is
>definitely not what you are proposing.

ok then, lets call this semi-open-source project :o)

Quote:
>I looked at your .exe and it shows signs of being a good forms designer and
>editor. However, I was unclear as to where the compilation and debugging
>tools fit in. I would assume an IDE to have those components, along with a
>number of other features. Perhaps you have a specification document which
>describes the development path you intend to pursue?

As you know, the PB de{*filter*} can not be implemented by us. It'll have
to be done by the guys at PB, we don't have the source code of the
de{*filter*} nor the compiler.

The project is as follow and will be Professional and Powerful...

1. Form designer. This includes multi forms, drag/drop of objects,
full object move (no drag box), features such as checkboxs,
buttons, progress bar etc, into any panel of a statusbar. Toolbar
and statusbar into any page control. Animated controls etc etc.

2. Code editor. Similar to VB, with auto-caps of declared variables
and sub/functions with tooltips and var/sub/functions info. Can
edit full source or only sub/function. Easy jump to sub/functions
and easy return. Double click object to edit source code. Property
window for all forms and controls which includes all events.

3. Language addition such as...

Full object code, for example...
Form1.Button1.Caption = "string"

WITH/END WITH, for example...
WITH Form1.Button1
    Caption = "string"
    Enable = %TRUE
END WITH

Now, PB is a professional tool and so will PBSEdit. So only
professional programmers are accepted in the development of it.
That's why it's semi-open-source. I don't want to waste my time and
have zillions of different PBSEdit going around and{*filter*}up the
project.

So far, no one has email me about joining the project, but yet, you
all want to see the source code!!?? Maybe I should just drop
this project and do it on my own. You'll have to wait longer to
have it, and it won't be free either.

Mike

Sat, 31 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open source IDE for PB6 written in PB6 - PBSEdit.exe (1/1)
Such a project was already going on.
A lot of requests for this but in practice <zero>

It ain't so bad manually

Quote:

>>Yeah, I think he was. And correct, too. Open source projects by definition
>>make the source code freely available to anyone and everyone. That is
>>definitely not what you are proposing.

>ok then, lets call this semi-open-source project :o)

>>I looked at your .exe and it shows signs of being a good forms designer
and
>>editor. However, I was unclear as to where the compilation and debugging
>>tools fit in. I would assume an IDE to have those components, along with a
>>number of other features. Perhaps you have a specification document which
>>describes the development path you intend to pursue?

>As you know, the PB de{*filter*} can not be implemented by us. It'll have
>to be done by the guys at PB, we don't have the source code of the
>de{*filter*} nor the compiler.

>The project is as follow and will be Professional and Powerful...

>1. Form designer. This includes multi forms, drag/drop of objects,
>full object move (no drag box), features such as checkboxs,
>buttons, progress bar etc, into any panel of a statusbar. Toolbar
>and statusbar into any page control. Animated controls etc etc.

>2. Code editor. Similar to VB, with auto-caps of declared variables
>and sub/functions with tooltips and var/sub/functions info. Can
>edit full source or only sub/function. Easy jump to sub/functions
>and easy return. Double click object to edit source code. Property
>window for all forms and controls which includes all events.

>3. Language addition such as...

>Full object code, for example...
>Form1.Button1.Caption = "string"

>WITH/END WITH, for example...
>WITH Form1.Button1
>    Caption = "string"
>    Enable = %TRUE
>END WITH

>Now, PB is a professional tool and so will PBSEdit. So only
>professional programmers are accepted in the development of it.
>That's why it's semi-open-source. I don't want to waste my time and
>have zillions of different PBSEdit going around and{*filter*}up the
>project.

>So far, no one has email me about joining the project, but yet, you
>all want to see the source code!!?? Maybe I should just drop
>this project and do it on my own. You'll have to wait longer to
>have it, and it won't be free either.

>Mike

Sun, 01 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open source IDE for PB6 written in PB6 - PBSEdit.exe (1/1)

Quote:

>Now, PB is a professional tool and so will PBSEdit. So only
>professional programmers are accepted in the development of it.
>So far, no one has email me about joining the project, but yet, you
>all want to see the source code!!?? Maybe I should just drop
>this project and do it on my own.

Professional programmers don't just jump in. They wwant to check out if
they really want to devote their time and energy before making any
commitments. After all, I assume they all have to work UNDER you?

Maybe, with this attitude, you'll have difficulty finding any volunteers
at all.

--
        Bart.

Sun, 01 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open source IDE for PB6 written in PB6 - PBSEdit.exe (1/1)
Oh, now I understand ...
Semi-Open-Source is kinda like a democratically orientated dictatorship.

Thanks for clearing that up.  Open the flood gates, I'm sure the emails
will be pouring into your inbox.

<snip>

Quote:
> ok then, lets call this semi-open-source project :o)

<snip>

Sun, 01 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open source IDE for PB6 written in PB6 - PBSEdit.exe (1/1)

Quote:

> ok then, lets call this semi-open-source project :o)

[SNIP]

> Now, PB is a professional tool and so will PBSEdit. So only
> professional programmers are accepted in the development of it.
> That's why it's semi-open-source. I don't want to waste my time and
> have zillions of different PBSEdit going around and{*filter*}up the
> project.

> So far, no one has email me about joining the project, but yet, you
> all want to see the source code!!?? Maybe I should just drop
> this project and do it on my own. You'll have to wait longer to
> have it, and it won't be free either.

I doubt any professional programmers would want to get involved in such a
project without a very firm understanding of what they are getting into. In
true open source, you have guidelines and can "set your mind free". What you
are proposing is much more restrictive.

Sounds like you are looking for a volunteer staff, who will then have to do
it your way or hit the highway. If that is a correct assessment, you should
forego the "free" and "open source" tags and shoot for a commercial product.
You might get "volunteer" developers who would contribute their time and
skills in return for a piece of the pie. No up front, and rewards are
contingent upon a successful deliverable.

Setup a non-disclosure, non-compete on your web site, change your pitch, and
see if you get any takers.

Scott

Sun, 01 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open source IDE for PB6 written in PB6 - PBSEdit.exe (1/1)
I have not seen it as yet, but it is unclear if you launch the compiler or
not. the de{*filter*} I understand, but the compiler can be a silent shell which
makes it look like it is in your IDE just like the current PB 6 Editor does.
 -Barry

Quote:
> >Yeah, I think he was. And correct, too. Open source projects by
definition
> >make the source code freely available to anyone and everyone. That is
> >definitely not what you are proposing.

> ok then, lets call this semi-open-source project :o)

> >I looked at your .exe and it shows signs of being a good forms designer
and
> >editor. However, I was unclear as to where the compilation and debugging
> >tools fit in. I would assume an IDE to have those components, along with
> >number of other features. Perhaps you have a specification document which
> >describes the development path you intend to pursue?

> As you know, the PB de{*filter*} can not be implemented by us. It'll have
> to be done by the guys at PB, we don't have the source code of the
> de{*filter*} nor the compiler.

> The project is as follow and will be Professional and Powerful...

> 1. Form designer. This includes multi forms, drag/drop of objects,
> full object move (no drag box), features such as checkboxs,
> buttons, progress bar etc, into any panel of a statusbar. Toolbar
> and statusbar into any page control. Animated controls etc etc.

> 2. Code editor. Similar to VB, with auto-caps of declared variables
> and sub/functions with tooltips and var/sub/functions info. Can
> edit full source or only sub/function. Easy jump to sub/functions
> and easy return. Double click object to edit source code. Property
> window for all forms and controls which includes all events.

> 3. Language addition such as...

> Full object code, for example...
> Form1.Button1.Caption = "string"

> WITH/END WITH, for example...
> WITH Form1.Button1
>     Caption = "string"
>     Enable = %TRUE
> END WITH

> Now, PB is a professional tool and so will PBSEdit. So only
> professional programmers are accepted in the development of it.
> That's why it's semi-open-source. I don't want to waste my time and
> have zillions of different PBSEdit going around and{*filter*}up the
> project.

> So far, no one has email me about joining the project, but yet, you
> all want to see the source code!!?? Maybe I should just drop
> this project and do it on my own. You'll have to wait longer to
> have it, and it won't be free either.

> Mike

Wed, 04 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open source IDE for PB6 written in PB6 - PBSEdit.exe (1/1)

That's exactly how it'll work.

-Mike

Quote:
>I have not seen it as yet, but it is unclear if you launch the compiler or
>not. the de{*filter*} I understand, but the compiler can be a silent shell which
>makes it look like it is in your IDE just like the current PB 6 Editor does.
> -Barry

Wed, 04 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open source IDE for PB6 written in PB6 - PBSEdit.exe (1/1)
And after open source : open wallet ???

Why don't you make it really open source ???

And what about when the program is ready, will it be freeware ??

Quote:

>Not exactly SERIOUS are you?

>>Not exactly OPEN SOURCE then is it?

>>> You're right. Here is the URL to download it from my site...
>>> http://SoftByteLabs.com/PBSEdit/

>>> The source code will be available only via email to selected
>>> serious programmers only.

>>> -Mike

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open source IDE for PB6 written in PB6 - PBSEdit.exe (1/1)

You are such an {*filter*} that you don't deserve to get any freeware.
Now that you {*filter*} at me to get anything free, you ain't going to, and
the open source project will remain closed to the public. People like
you makes others want to develop non-freeware product. You are
just a taker, not a helper. So forget it.

-Mike

Quote:

>And after open source : open wallet ???

>Why don't you make it really open source ???

>And what about when the program is ready, will it be freeware ??

>>Not exactly SERIOUS are you?

>>>Not exactly OPEN SOURCE then is it?

>sun...
>of

>better

Sun, 17 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Open source IDE for PB6 written in PB6 - PBSEdit.exe (1/1)
Well thanks for all the compliments ;)
Anyway what my problem is that you first starting to scream of the rooftops
about open source and all the stuff. But there isn't any open to find.
Anyway about the fact that I don't deserve freeware is fine to me. I develop
freeware tools myself so thank you ;).

What I wanted to point out is that I saw a lot of people working the way you
did. First say it's open source and after the product is finished (with a
lot of help from others)
sell it for you're own profit.

I didn't want to offend you, but I found it very strange that you decide to
say it's open source and eventually there isn't any open to find.
Why did you want the project to be open source then ?????

Quote:

>You are such an {*filter*} that you don't deserve to get any freeware.
>Now that you {*filter*} at me to get anything free, you ain't going to, and
>the open source project will remain closed to the public. People like
>you makes others want to develop non-freeware product. You are
>just a taker, not a helper. So forget it.

>-Mike

>>And after open source : open wallet ???

>>Why don't you make it really open source ???

>>And what about when the program is ready, will it be freeware ??

>>>Not exactly SERIOUS are you?

>>sun...
>>of

>>better

Fri, 22 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Open source IDE for PB6 written in PB6 - PBSEdit.exe (0/1)

2. using PB6 w/ inline asm to generate pc-speaker tones

3. PB6.0 & DirectX

4. - The Dynamic Opportunity - ActiveState Komodo IDE / Open Source

5. Any sources on writing an IDE in assembler??

6. How to write .bat file to open telnet.exe to hostname

7. Writing an Open Source Implementation of FoxPro

8. editors - open source - written in ADA?

9. Open Source/Open Science conference announcement

10. open source (and open standard)

11. Source-Navigator is now an open source project!

12. Seperate source from IDE?