Pop source
Author Message
 Pop source

  I've had a jolly good time playing with the SMPT sample, but does anyone
know of any code for POP connection?

Tue, 30 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Pop source

Quote:
>  I've had a jolly good time playing with the SMPT sample, but does anyone
>know of any code for POP connection?

   If you had a good time with the SMTP sample, delve a little deeper
and read the RFC for POP3. It's RFC 1725 and I found it at
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc1725.html

   Note that this isn't an attempt an "RTFM" but just a little prod to
dive into the protocol and learn a little more. I found it very
interesting to do my POP3 program this way - I learned a lot more
about the protocol and error handling and so on.
   Besides, it's really a simple little RFC, not too difficult to
follow at all.

   Scott

Wed, 01 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Pop source

Quote:
>   If you had a good time with the SMTP sample, delve a little deeper
>and read the RFC for POP3. It's RFC 1725 and I found it at
>http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc1725.html

Thank you.
I don't knowthe abbrev. RFC or RTFM, but I've downloaded the mentioned
article. I agree, it's often easier to understand when you get a long story,
than just a !that's the way it is, period!"
Btw: as you can see from the cut'n paste below the 'index' of these articles
are rather messed up. Would you happen to know where to find a similar
article on SMTP?

---
 ? . ? .. ?
rfc-index.txt ??
INDEX.rfc    rfc1725.txtps. ?   rfc2716.txt ?   rfc2712.txt ?   rfc2706.txt
?   rfc2711.txt ?   rfc2710.txt ?
  rfc2709.txt ?   rfc2705.txt ?  rfc2701.txt ?
  rfc2704.txt ?   rfc2703.txt ?

Wed, 01 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Pop source
Here are a couple of good archives of the RFC (Request for Comments)
documents.

ftp://ftp.powerbasic.com/pub/rfc/

http://sunsite.auc.dk/RFC/

< snipped >>

Quote:
>Thank you.
>I don't knowthe abbrev. RFC or RTFM, but I've downloaded the mentioned
>article. I agree, it's often easier to understand when you get a long story,
>than just a !that's the way it is, period!"

< snipped >
Ron  n1zhi

ICQ: 26516311

Wed, 01 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Pop source

Quote:
>   I've had a jolly good time playing with the SMPT sample, but does anyone
> know of any code for POP connection?

Take a look at the TCP32.INC file included with PB/CC and PB/DLL.  It has
POP3 code in it.

--Dave

Wed, 01 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Pop source

Quote:
>I don't knowthe abbrev. RFC or RTFM, but I've downloaded the mentioned

   RFC = Request For Comments. They are generally articles describing
something to be used on the Internet. As far as I know, everything
used on the Internet has an RFC, but not all RFCs are used. Some are
actually jokes, like the one describing how to control a coffee pot
using TCP/IP.
   RTFM = Read The Fine Manual, although people often use a different
word for F. :-)

Quote:
>Btw: as you can see from the cut'n paste below the 'index' of these articles
>are rather messed up. Would you happen to know where to find a similar
>article on SMTP?

   For some reason it's comes out messed up on that page, and even if
it did look OK their index isn't very good. But you can use any search
engine and look for "RFC SMTP" which is RFC 821, and can be found at
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc821.html among other
places.

Wed, 01 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Pop source

Quote:
>    RTFM = Read The Fine Manual, although people often use a different
> word for F. :-)

 Yeah, sometimes manuals can be a 'teaser' to use F-words.   8o)

Quote:
> engine and look for "RFC SMTP" which is RFC 821, and can be found at
> http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc821.html among other
> places.

 Great! I'll look it up, and have 'RFC' in the back of my head next time
I need this kind of information.

--
~8o)  Haakon

Thu, 02 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. POP source code

2. I need source code for a pop-up calendar ( spanish version )

3. comp.lang.pop (and pop-forum) FAQ available in html

4. comp.lang.pop (and pop-forum) FAQ available in html

5. comp.lang.pop -> pop-forum gateway

6. comp.lang.pop and pop-forum gateway

7. pop FAQ (was Q: what is pop?)

8. news-relayFrom: pop@uucp.rabbit (pop)

9. POP and pop.py and/or poplib

10. Pop-up windows don't pop up for sub-widgets

11. APL2C source to source adapter?

12. The source and the sink different type with its source code