PBCC and physical memory
Author Message
 PBCC and physical memory

I'm considering using PBCC to write programs that will talk to a
custom PCI interface under Win98 or NT. The interface will have a
block of addressable configuration memory (assigned dynamically by the
BIOS at system boot time) and will also be able to do big block
transfers of 2-d histogram (essentially image) data.

So, questions for some helpful soul...

If I know the physical address of a memory location (it will be
something huge, past the system memory range, and won't be cached - I
hope-) can I access it by dimming an array at that address? This will
be an absolute address, not relative to the program space.

Am I right in assuming that the addresses used by PEEK and POKE are
relative to, and strictly within, the program's address space? If so,
is there any way to do a true physical address?

Can I dim a big data array (16 Mbytes, maybe), figure out its
*physical* address, and then force a PCI block transfer from my board
into the array?  Can I make the array nonvirtual and physically
contiguous so that I can do one big (non gather-scatter) block
transfer?

Or should I just give up and write a real Windows device driver (or,
preferably, give up science and join the circus?)

John

Thu, 12 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Physical Memory Detect ??????

2. WINNT Physical Memory Dump?

3. Physical Memory Dump on NT station during Clipper Append

4. large physical memory access on a PC

5. Writing directly to physical memory

6. Accessing Physical Memory Directly

7. Physical Memory detection, more info needed

8. DPMI and Physical Memory Address

9. Allocate as much contiguous physical memory as possible

10. Looking for a way to limit physical memory used by windows95

11. Help me please! (Physical memory access)

12. How to work with physical memory