need to use qb add-on libraries in pb
Author Message
 need to use qb add-on libraries in pb

I just finished porting a program from QuickBasic 7.1 to powerbasic 3.5, but
I don't know how to "include" a library that I used under QB. The library is
datim.qlb, an add-on date/time library that contains some functions I would
like to continue using. Under QB, I loaded the library when I started the
IDE, with a '/L datim.qlb' command parameter.
The PowerBasic documentation says that the $LINK command will link a PB
library
or object code into the file, but I don't have the object code for this QB
library.
Help. Please.

chris baker

Tue, 17 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 need to use qb add-on libraries in pb

Quote:
> I just finished porting a program from QuickBasic 7.1 to PowerBasic 3.5, but
> I don't know how to "include" a library that I used under QB. The library is
> datim.qlb, an add-on date/time library that contains some functions I would
> like to continue using. Under QB, I loaded the library when I started the
> IDE, with a '/L datim.qlb' command parameter.
> The PowerBasic documentation says that the $LINK command will link a PB
> library
> or object code into the file, but I don't have the object code for this QB
> library.
> Help. Please.

Sorry Chris, can't be done.

QuickBasic uses the "medium" memory model which is why it's limited to
64k of string space, arrays, etc.

PowerBASIC uses the "large" model which is why it can access so much
more memory than QuickBasic.

The actual assembler/C code for your library has to be re-compiled using
the large memory model in order to work with PowerBASIC.

Are you doing date calculations?  If so, have you looked at the
DATETIME.BAS code that came with PowerBASIC?

It's got julian date functions for all types of date calculations.

--Dave

Tue, 17 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 need to use qb add-on libraries in pb

Quote:
> I just finished porting a program from QuickBasic 7.1 to PowerBasic 3.5,
> but I don't know how to "include" a library that I used under QB. The
> library is datim.qlb, an add-on date/time library that contains some
> functions I would like to continue using.

In general, libraries are not portable from one compiler to another. You
will need to replace DATIM with functions that are compatible with
PowerBASIC. If you'd care to describe the functions therein, perhaps
we can point you in the right direction.

--
Thomas G. Hanlin III, Programmer At Large
home: www.tgh3.com - programming tools & libraries, games and things

Wed, 18 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 need to use qb add-on libraries in pb

Quote:

>I just finished porting a program from QuickBasic 7.1 to PowerBasic 3.5, but
>I don't know how to "include" a library that I used under QB. The library is
>datim.qlb, an add-on date/time library that contains some functions I would
>like to continue using. Under QB, I loaded the library when I started the
>IDE, with a '/L datim.qlb' command parameter.
>The PowerBasic documentation says that the $LINK command will link a PB
>library
>or object code into the file, but I don't have the object code for this QB
>library.
>Help. Please.

Hi Chris,

  I don't know exactly what your functions did by you may want to have a peek
at my library for PB3.5. There just may be something in there that will match
up.

C'ya,

--
   ____    _    ____      ____  _____
  |  _ \  / \  / ___) __ | ___)(_   _) Don Schullian

  |____//_/ \_\(____/\__/|_|     |_|    www.DASoftVSS.com
  ___________________________________   www.basicguru.com
      Vertical Software Solutions

Wed, 18 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. QB -> PB

2. QB vs PB

3. QB vs PB????

4. QB vs PB

5. QB and PB Differences

6. email enable PB/DLL-PB/CC using Outlook

7. Adding needed file functions to ISO libraries?

8. Get CDRom Info (Using MSCDEX) In QB/ASM

9. Get CDRom Info (Using MSCDEX) In QB/ASM

10. I Need Help Formatting Floppies From Within QB 7.1 modules

11. add support for COM and OCXs to PB/DLL-CC

12. add COM components and OCXs support to PB/DLL-CC