Allowable size of Powerbasic programs? 
Author Message
 Allowable size of Powerbasic programs?

Maybe someone can answer a general question....

I've written a stocktaking/ordering program for a friend in QuackBasic
4.5, it runs in DOS/Win95DOS  and is about 110K compiled.

I keep having size problems - that is, the source code is already in 4
modules but I get 'out of room' type errors at compile time, and if my
friend processes a long invoice he gets 'out of string space'.  This
seems absurd on a 16MB RAM   DOSbox.

I put it down to QuackBasic's antiquated architecture.  I'm sure
there's a way around it, but I'm not a professional programmer and I'd
rather worry about the logic of my program than fight arbitrary size
limits.

My question:  Would FirstBasic or PB/DOS  'fix' the problem, that is,
does it make use of much more RAM than  QB?  I don't mind buying the
program _if_  it will do the job.  The FAQ says I can get a trial
version from powerbasic.com, but I've looked at the site and I can't
see any download links.

Chris Rodliffe



Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Allowable size of Powerbasic programs?


Quote:
> Maybe someone can answer a general question....

> I've written a stocktaking/ordering program for a friend in QuackBasic
> 4.5, it runs in DOS/Win95DOS  and is about 110K compiled.

> I keep having size problems - that is, the source code is already in 4
> modules but I get 'out of room' type errors at compile time, and if my
> friend processes a long invoice he gets 'out of string space'.  This
> seems absurd on a 16MB RAM   DOSbox.

Hey, the DOS-box has a maximum of 640kb! You can adjust CONFIG.SYS and
AUTOEXEC.BAT to maximize your available memory there. Check with the MEM
command or better MEM  /C  /P anyway, the maximum on a W98 box will be about
608kb on a W95 it varies. On Win95b German edition there is most probably a
patch to IO.SYS to be applied ...

CONFIG.SYS (skeleton)
device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:off
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems
dos=high,umb
fileshigh=60
buffershigh=40

Most drivers can be loaded in high memory by using devicehigh=
dont use MSCEDEX, its necessary in plain DOS-mode only

AUTOEXEC.BAT (skeleton)
LH ... KEYBOARD.SYS
LH ... DOSKEY

Many drivers can be load high by using LH  (load high)

Quote:

> I put it down to QuackBasic's antiquated architecture.  I'm sure
> there's a way around it, but I'm not a professional programmer and I'd
> rather worry about the logic of my program than fight arbitrary size
> limits.
>QuackBasic< nice error, this one really fits! Easiest way to get things

straight, try to migrate to VBDOS if you can aquire it somewhere and use
compiler/linker (=BC/LINK), perhaps PWB.EXE, but ignore VBDOS.EXE. But be
warned, though you can use OVERLAYS with separately compiled modules
(alternatively you can use CHAIN with COMMON) and FAR STRINGS with VBDOS,
the DOS-box limit DOES NOT go away. Warning: Overlays with Basic 7.1, the
predecessor of VBDOS do not work flawlessly while most other things do.

Quote:
> My question:  Would FirstBasic or PB/DOS  'fix' the problem, that is,
> does it make use of much more RAM than  QB?  I don't mind buying the
> program _if_  it will do the job.  The FAQ says I can get a trial
> version from powerbasic.com, but I've looked at the site and I can't
> see any download links.

> Chris Rodliffe


FirstBasic or PB/Dos cannot fix your DOS-box troubles, since they are,
right, DOS-compilers. Better to migrate to PB/cc (Power Basic console


_a_lot_ of your code. 3rd party libraries are available, have a look at
www.powerbasic.com

G. Predl



Thu, 25 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Allowable size of Powerbasic programs?

Quote:

> On Win95b German edition there is most probably a
> patch to IO.SYS to be applied ...

The Dutch version of that patch is IOSYSDUT.EXE.
You won't get more than about 550kb out of W95b without it.
Ofcourse this has never been published so everybody has been "playing"
with this, reinventing the weel. Most people are still in the dark.

Quote:
> Many drivers can be load high by using LH  (load high)

But you can't use LH in Windows NT, do don't use it in your batch
files...

--
Peter Manders.
Please remove the 'u' to reply.



Fri, 26 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Size limits in PowerBasic?

2. Compiling an OBJ module into a basic program in version 3.5 PowerBasic for DOS

3. Allowable Binary Selectors

4. allowable protected-object subprogram-calls

5. How To: Change Window Size under program control

6. Program memory requirements vs. database size

7. Looking for information about reducing the Diagram size of my program

8. Size of a executable program in Labview

9. Program size, fonts, disks

10. What's a reasonable sized program?

11. Programs Size

12. LOGO-L> Size of MicroWorld Programs

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software