PB embedded system? 
Author Message
 PB embedded system?

Hi,

it just occurred to me that one could do a nice benchtop electronic
instrument using

  a PC/104 CPU with flash memory and ROM-DOS

  a 1/4 VGA color LCD

  a simple front-panel keypad interface, either into a parallel
  port or into a COM port.

  a custom PC/104 board to do the actual measurement stuff

and do the compiled program in powerbasic 3.5.

After all, PB is fast, small, reliable, and does nice graphic stuff.
And isn't C.

Has anybody done anything like this before?

John



Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:05:46 GMT  
 PB embedded system?
Hi John,

Yes, the PC104 is pretty popular with Embedded systems programming
that are using PB/DOS... Over the years, I've heard of quite a few
people using it.


Quote:
>Hi,

>it just occurred to me that one could do a nice benchtop electronic
>instrument using

>  a PC/104 CPU with flash memory and ROM-DOS

>  a 1/4 VGA color LCD

>  a simple front-panel keypad interface, either into a parallel
>  port or into a COM port.

>  a custom PC/104 board to do the actual measurement stuff

>and do the compiled program in PowerBasic 3.5.

>After all, PB is fast, small, reliable, and does nice graphic stuff.
>And isn't C.

>Has anybody done anything like this before?

>John

Lance
PowerBASIC Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerBASIC, Inc.      | 800-780-7707 Sales | "We put the Power in Basic!"
316 Mid Valley Center | 831-659-8000 Voice | http://www.powerbasic.com



Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:37:35 GMT  
 PB embedded system?

Quote:

>Hi John,

>Yes, the PC104 is pretty popular with Embedded systems programming
>that are using PB/DOS... Over the years, I've heard of quite a few
>people using it.

Lance,

will there ever be another PB/DOS release? And if so, will it have an
800x600 graphics mode? That would really be nice.

Oh, you could fix the overflow bugs, too, if it's not too much hassle.

Reserve a couple of copies for us!

John



Tue, 03 Feb 2004 04:36:04 GMT  
 PB embedded system?
On Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:36:04 -0700, John  Larkin

Quote:



>>Hi John,

>>Yes, the PC104 is pretty popular with Embedded systems programming
>>that are using PB/DOS... Over the years, I've heard of quite a few
>>people using it.

>Lance,

>will there ever be another PB/DOS release? And if so, will it have an
>800x600 graphics mode? That would really be nice.

>Oh, you could fix the overflow bugs, too, if it's not too much hassle.

>Reserve a couple of copies for us!

>John

John,

  My Nutz n' Boltz has support for SVGA 256 colors in it and you're welcome to
d/load it.

--
C'ya,
   ____    _    ____      ____  _____
  |  _ \  / \  / ___) __ | ___)(_   _)     Don Schullian

  |____//_/ \_\(____/\__/|_|     |_|  http://www.DASoftVSS.com
  ___________________________________ http://www.basicguru.com
      Vertical Software Solutions



Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:04:09 GMT  
 PB embedded system?
Hi John,

Yes, R&D have stated that there will be *at least* one more major
update to PB/DOS in the future.    Can you be more specific about the
overflow problems you are describing?  If you have any example code,
please be sure to submit it to Tech Support...

Thanks!


Quote:


>>Hi John,

>>Yes, the PC104 is pretty popular with Embedded systems programming
>>that are using PB/DOS... Over the years, I've heard of quite a few
>>people using it.

>Lance,

>will there ever be another PB/DOS release? And if so, will it have an
>800x600 graphics mode? That would really be nice.

>Oh, you could fix the overflow bugs, too, if it's not too much hassle.

>Reserve a couple of copies for us!

>John

Lance
PowerBASIC Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerBASIC, Inc.      | 800-780-7707 Sales | "We put the Power in Basic!"
316 Mid Valley Center | 831-659-8000 Voice | http://www.powerbasic.com



Tue, 03 Feb 2004 20:02:15 GMT  
 PB embedded system?

Quote:

>Hi John,

>Yes, R&D have stated that there will be *at least* one more major
>update to PB/DOS in the future.    Can you be more specific about the
>overflow problems you are describing?  If you have any example code,
>please be sure to submit it to Tech Support...

>Thanks!

Lance,

I've spoken to tech support on this one, and they don't even think
it's a bug. It's not serious, just very annoying at times.

The ?bug? is that some overflows set a trap that is sprung elsewhere
in the program. This happens a lot when working with unsigned
integers.

If you do something like

   A?? = &HFFFF        ' or other ops that trash unsigned itams

 ....... LOTS OF OTHER CODE HERE........

  PRINT "HELLO"

  or

  ON... GOTO

The PRINT or ON:GOTO crashes with the overflow, and you can't tell
where it came from, even if you turn overflow checking on.

As I said, this is a nuisance, not worth slashing wrists over.

John



Wed, 04 Feb 2004 00:55:22 GMT  
 PB embedded system?


Quote:
>On Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:36:04 -0700, John  Larkin



>>>Hi John,

>>>Yes, the PC104 is pretty popular with Embedded systems programming
>>>that are using PB/DOS... Over the years, I've heard of quite a few
>>>people using it.

>>Lance,

>>will there ever be another PB/DOS release? And if so, will it have an
>>800x600 graphics mode? That would really be nice.

>>Oh, you could fix the overflow bugs, too, if it's not too much hassle.

>>Reserve a couple of copies for us!

>>John

>John,

>  My Nutz n' Boltz has support for SVGA 256 colors in it and you're welcome to
>d/load it.

Don,

pardon my clumsiness, but I couldn't find the download. Can you post a
link?

Thanks,

John



Wed, 04 Feb 2004 00:56:47 GMT  
 PB embedded system?


Quote:
> will there ever be another PB/DOS release? And if so, will it have an
> 800x600 graphics mode? That would really be nice.

Just before I left PowerBASIC, Bob was still using PB/DOS quite a bit for
personal stuff.  He absolutely loves PB/DOS more than the other compilers
(in my opinion).  I'd bet dollars to donuts that there will be another
version.

I seriously doubt the graphics subsystem will be updated, however, since you
can't access anything beyond 640x480 resolution on modern graphics cards
without a special driver.  Each card uses different interrupts to switch
into the higher modes.  And many modern cards don't support the higher modes
for DOS applications, only Windows.

--Dave



Wed, 04 Feb 2004 08:19:59 GMT  
 PB embedded system?
John,

Correct - the problem is not what I call a bug - you are assigning a
signed integer to an unsigned word.  This is more of a logic error.
See my recent post in this group on signed/unsigned hex literals for
solutions.

However, I'm told that the latest version of PB/DOS 3.5 *may* have
fixed some or all of these issues.   It would at least help to ensure
you are using the very latest version.

What is the date of your PB.EXE file?  It should be 12/19/1997 (the
date stamp indicates the "build" number, which is currently 19).  

If the date on your file is earlier than this, then you can request an
update (PB3.5 only) by sending a request to

Please be sure to include your serial number!

I hope this helps!


Quote:
>I've spoken to tech support on this one, and they don't even think
>it's a bug. It's not serious, just very annoying at times.

>The ?bug? is that some overflows set a trap that is sprung elsewhere
>in the program. This happens a lot when working with unsigned
>integers.

>If you do something like

>   A?? = &HFFFF        ' or other ops that trash unsigned itams

> ....... LOTS OF OTHER CODE HERE........

>  PRINT "HELLO"

>  or

>  ON... GOTO

>The PRINT or ON:GOTO crashes with the overflow, and you can't tell
>where it came from, even if you turn overflow checking on.

>As I said, this is a nuisance, not worth slashing wrists over.

>John

Lance
PowerBASIC Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerBASIC, Inc.      | 800-780-7707 Sales | "We put the Power in Basic!"
316 Mid Valley Center | 831-659-8000 Voice | http://www.powerbasic.com



Wed, 04 Feb 2004 11:42:58 GMT  
 PB embedded system?

Quote:
> Hi John,

> Yes, R&D have stated that there will be *at least* one more major
> update to PB/DOS in the future.    Can you be more specific about the
> overflow problems you are describing?  If you have any example code,
> please be sure to submit it to Tech Support...

> Thanks!

If I were asked what to include on a wish list for an update
to PB/DOS, it would include an IDE that could function in a
Windows 2000 environment, perhaps as an alternate to the purely
DOS one.  Having recently upgraded to a Win 2000 platform, I
find working with the current IDE, shall we say, inconvenient
what with the lack of mouse support.

I use PB/DOS because I need its compatibility with the old
MS basic products, especially the graphics commands (PSET,
CIRCLE, etc.), and the programs must be able to run with the
other compilers with little or no changes required.

It would be nice if some extension to the WINDOW and VIEW
commands could open a Windows compatible graphics window
within which all the usual graphics commands could function,
sort of an emulated DOS window for the programs in a Windows
environment.



Wed, 04 Feb 2004 23:30:16 GMT  
 PB embedded system?

Quote:

>John,

>Correct - the problem is not what I call a bug - you are assigning a
>signed integer to an unsigned word.  This is more of a logic error.
>See my recent post in this group on signed/unsigned hex literals for
>solutions.

>However, I'm told that the latest version of PB/DOS 3.5 *may* have
>fixed some or all of these issues.   It would at least help to ensure
>you are using the very latest version.

>What is the date of your PB.EXE file?  It should be 12/19/1997 (the
>date stamp indicates the "build" number, which is currently 19).  

>If the date on your file is earlier than this, then you can request an
>update (PB3.5 only) by sending a request to

>Please be sure to include your serial number!

>I hope this helps!

Lance,

mine shows 12/14/1997. This was the "second" release of PB 3.5 that I
received. Was there yet another PB 3.5 release?

Yes, the PB support people declared that the overflow is to be
expected and is not a bug. The bug is, in my opinion, not that there
is an overflow, but that it traps in a completely unrelated place in
the program, and various $ERROR options generally have no effect on
this problem. That makes these errors *very* hard to track down.

It would be nice to have a mode where *no* errors could occurr. A
"Just do the damned math operation, already" mode.

John



Thu, 05 Feb 2004 02:02:28 GMT  
 PB embedded system?
Greg,

The mouse works fine in the IDE under Windows 2000.  However, by
default, Windows 2000 enables the Console Quick-Edit mode which stops
the IDE gaining access to the mouse.  

Press ALT+SPACE (or click on the Window menu) and select Properties.
Switch off Quick-Edi, click Ok, and try again...  This works perfectly
for me, and should work perfectly for you too!

I hope this helps!

Quote:



>> Hi John,

>> Yes, R&D have stated that there will be *at least* one more major
>> update to PB/DOS in the future.    Can you be more specific about the
>> overflow problems you are describing?  If you have any example code,
>> please be sure to submit it to Tech Support...

>> Thanks!

>If I were asked what to include on a wish list for an update
>to PB/DOS, it would include an IDE that could function in a
>Windows 2000 environment, perhaps as an alternate to the purely
>DOS one.  Having recently upgraded to a Win 2000 platform, I
>find working with the current IDE, shall we say, inconvenient
>what with the lack of mouse support.

>I use PB/DOS because I need its compatibility with the old
>MS basic products, especially the graphics commands (PSET,
>CIRCLE, etc.), and the programs must be able to run with the
>other compilers with little or no changes required.

>It would be nice if some extension to the WINDOW and VIEW
>commands could open a Windows compatible graphics window
>within which all the usual graphics commands could function,
>sort of an emulated DOS window for the programs in a Windows
>environment.

Lance
PowerBASIC Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerBASIC, Inc.      | 800-780-7707 Sales | "We put the Power in Basic!"
316 Mid Valley Center | 831-659-8000 Voice | http://www.powerbasic.com



Thu, 05 Feb 2004 10:05:06 GMT  
 PB embedded system?

Quote:
>It would be nice to have a mode where *no* errors could occurr. A
>"Just do the damned math operation, already" mode.

Ah, you want a "do what I mean, not what I say" (DWIM) compiler... we
are working on it! <vbg>

Quote:
>mine shows 12/14/1997. This was the "second" release of PB 3.5 that I
>received. Was there yet another PB 3.5 release?

On a more serious note, your PB.EXE dated 12/14/97 is five releases
behind the current build.  You can check the current build at any time
by visiting http://www.powerbasic.com/support and checking your
product against the time/date stamp table entries listed there.

To receive an update, please send a request, and include your serial

I hope this helps!

Lance
PowerBASIC Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerBASIC, Inc.      | 800-780-7707 Sales | "We put the Power in Basic!"
316 Mid Valley Center | 831-659-8000 Voice | http://www.powerbasic.com



Thu, 05 Feb 2004 10:10:30 GMT  
 PB embedded system?

Quote:
> Greg,

> The mouse works fine in the IDE under Windows 2000.  However, by
> default, Windows 2000 enables the Console Quick-Edit mode which stops
> the IDE gaining access to the mouse.

> Press ALT+SPACE (or click on the Window menu) and select Properties.
> Switch off Quick-Edi, click Ok, and try again...  This works perfectly
> for me, and should work perfectly for you too!

> I hope this helps!

Huzzah!  It works.  Many thanks.


Thu, 05 Feb 2004 12:21:45 GMT  
 PB embedded system?
On Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:56:47 -0700, John  Larkin

Quote:

>>  My Nutz n' Boltz has support for SVGA 256 colors in it and you're welcome to
>>d/load it.

>pardon my clumsiness, but I couldn't find the download. Can you post a
>link?

You can find several VGA libraries on my website: http://www.pbarchives.org
--
Marc van den Dikkenberg
--
The PowerBASIC Archives (US) -- http://www.pbarchives.org
The PowerBASIC Archives (EU) -- http://www.xs4all.nl/~excel/pb.html
All BASIC Code Archives (EU) -- http://www.xs4all.nl/~excel/pbabc.html


Thu, 05 Feb 2004 12:30:33 GMT  
 
 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages 

1. PB embedded system?

2. Embedding Tcl Interpreter in an embedded system

3. Which CPU / development system for embedded system

4. a conference - Forth, Open Systems, Embedded Systems, Java, ...

5. PB 3.2.PB/Vision 2.0 Timerinstallcode.Shared Arrays

6. MX Lookup with PB/CC or PB/DLL

7. TCPADDR for PB/DLL & PB/CC

8. Info on new PB/CC and PB/DLL

9. Announcing the JazzAge COM Wizard for PB/DLL and PB/CC

10. animated characters, speech input/output in PB/DLL and PB/CC

11. email enable PB/DLL-PB/CC using Outlook

12. SQL, ADO/OLE-DB programming in PB/DLL and PB/CC

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software