Origin of "John Doe"
Author Message
 Origin of "John Doe"

Has anyone ever wondered about the origin of the expression "John Doe"

Well, in a book called "john Citizen & the Law" by Ronald Rubinstein (1947),
John Doe and Richard Roe are used as sample names in all the law cases.

I am sure all americans will have heard of John Doe, but has anyone heard of
the accompanying character, Richard Roe ?

Derek Richard

Sun, 25 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Origin of "John Doe"

Quote:
> I am sure all americans will have heard of John Doe, but has anyone heard of
> the accompanying character, Richard Roe ?

If you've ever heard of the Roe v. Wade decision, you've heard about Jane Roe.
That wasn't the person's real name.

Mon, 26 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Origin of "John Doe"

2. Origin of "Factoring"

3. Origin of phrase "Hard Fun"

4. Origin of "curried"

5. Origin of "dope vector"

6. Origin of the term "syntactic sugar"

7. Origin "DO error causes spacecraft failure"

8. origin of "arity"

9. origin of "arity"

10. Origin of "Smalltalk" - another theory

11. to John Ellson, and other users of the "dash"-patches

12. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")