Pre-Newbie Question
Author Message
 Pre-Newbie Question

I just visited the powerbasic web site but don't see there the answers to my
questions. I am searching for a way to produce database applications that
are easier to deploy than those written in MS-Visual Basic 5.

1. Does PB (or any of its add-ons) let developers make use of third-party
controls, such as the tab-control from Videosoft, the True DB Grid from
APEX, or the Sheridan data combo?

2. I work with Oracle's Objects for OLE middleware. Can I instantiate oo4o
objects inside a PB program?

3. Does PB support Collections? Classes?

TIA
Tim

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~tim

Thu, 18 Apr 2002 02:00:00 GMT
 Pre-Newbie Question
It's all a lot more work as with VB..

But, you are able to include controls the API way or with 3th party software
even OCX's.
But it's all code (a lot)

Quote:

>I just visited the PowerBasic web site but don't see there the answers to
my
>questions. I am searching for a way to produce database applications that
>are easier to deploy than those written in MS-Visual Basic 5.

>1. Does PB (or any of its add-ons) let developers make use of third-party
>controls, such as the tab-control from Videosoft, the True DB Grid from
>APEX, or the Sheridan data combo?

>2. I work with Oracle's Objects for OLE middleware. Can I instantiate oo4o
>objects inside a PB program?

>3. Does PB support Collections? Classes?

>TIA
>Tim

>--
>--

>http://www.ot.com/~tim

Thu, 18 Apr 2002 02:00:00 GMT
 Pre-Newbie Question
Tim Romano wrote

Quote:
> I just visited the PowerBasic web site but don't see there the answers to
my
> questions. I am searching for a way to produce database applications that
> are easier to deploy than those written in MS-Visual Basic 5.

> 1. Does PB (or any of its add-ons) let developers make use of third-party
> controls, such as the tab-control from Videosoft, the True DB Grid from
> APEX, or the Sheridan data combo?

> 2. I work with Oracle's Objects for OLE middleware. Can I instantiate oo4o
> objects inside a PB program?

> 3. Does PB support Collections? Classes?

Tim

I may get linched for saying this in the PB newsgroup, but if I were looking
for a PC database solution that was A) easier than VB, B) more robust than
VB, and C) had true OOP, GUI, OLE, ActiveX, etc support --- then I would use
Visual FoxPro 6.  It is to PC databases what PB is to Basic programming.

Scott

Thu, 18 Apr 2002 02:00:00 GMT
 Pre-Newbie Question
Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
> ... if I were looking
> for a PC database solution that was A) easier than VB, B) more robust than
> VB, and C) had true OOP, GUI, OLE, ActiveX, etc support --- then I would
use
> Visual FoxPro 6.  It is to PC databases what PB is to Basic programming.

> Scott

Thu, 18 Apr 2002 02:00:00 GMT
 Pre-Newbie Question
Thanks for the reply. That's somewhat encouraging. I don't know a lot about
the Windows internals. Is it possible to abstract this code so that it will
work with any OCX? Or does each OCX have to be custom-integrated into a PB
application?
Tim

Quote:
> It's all a lot more work as with VB..

> But, you are able to include controls the API way or with 3th party
software
> even OCX's.
> But it's all code (a lot)

> >I just visited the PowerBasic web site but don't see there the answers to
> my
> >questions. I am searching for a way to produce database applications that
> >are easier to deploy than those written in MS-Visual Basic 5.

> >1. Does PB (or any of its add-ons) let developers make use of third-party
> >controls, such as the tab-control from Videosoft, the True DB Grid from
> >APEX, or the Sheridan data combo?

> >2. I work with Oracle's Objects for OLE middleware. Can I instantiate
oo4o
> >objects inside a PB program?

> >3. Does PB support Collections? Classes?

> >TIA
> >Tim

> >--
> >--

> >http://www.ot.com/~tim

Thu, 18 Apr 2002 02:00:00 GMT
 Pre-Newbie Question

Quote:

>I just visited the PowerBasic web site but don't see there the answers to
my
>questions. I am searching for a way to produce database applications that
>are easier to deploy than those written in MS-Visual Basic 5.

You  might post these questions in the PB peer support forum (click on BBS
from
the home page). Section "programming" might be best.

these types of questions for potential customers is their job.

MCM

Fri, 19 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Pre-Newbie Question

Quote:
> I just visited the PowerBasic web site but don't see there the answers to my
> questions. I am searching for a way to produce database applications that
> are easier to deploy than those written in MS-Visual Basic 5.

> 1. Does PB (or any of its add-ons) let developers make use of third-party
> controls, such as the tab-control from Videosoft, the True DB Grid from
> APEX, or the Sheridan data combo?

> 2. I work with Oracle's Objects for OLE middleware. Can I instantiate oo4o
> objects inside a PB program?

> 3. Does PB support Collections? Classes?

Tim,

PowerBASIC does not support collections or classes, therefore you can not
use any third-party OCX controls directly with PowerBASIC.  There is a
third-party product available called JazzAge that allows PowerBASIC to
use OCX's.

We do have code on our FTP site for doing ODBC with PowerBASIC.  And
there is a third-party addon called SQL Tools that makes
creating/accessing databases very easy in PowerBASIC.

Overall, you'll likely do more coding in PowerBASIC that you would in
Visual Basic, however the difference will be dramatic.  PowerBASIC will
create a stand-alone EXE measured in "k-bytes" instead of "megabytes".
For many people, this difference is worth the additional development
effort.

--Dave

Fri, 19 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Pre-newbie questions about Apple Dylan

2. Questions from a pre-newbie

4. pre-newbie needs help

5. Pre-newbie stuck on the on-deck circle

6. Pre-pre-registration for Ruby Conference 2002

7. Not a newbie, but a newbie question...

8. Trivial Newbie Question (Newbie)

9. Clarion 4 Beta Pre-Purchase Questions

10. question about pre- & post-conditions

11. colorForth antecedents / pre-parsing questions

12. Newbis question - Pre-defined classes & modules