*NEW* January 2000 ABC Packets
Author Message
 *NEW* January 2000 ABC Packets

The ABC Packet for January 2000 (Released December 24, 1999)

   ABC Home Pages: http://www.*-*-*.com/
                    ftp://ftp.basicguru.com/abc/
                    http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~excel/pbabc.html
                    http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~voxel/
   Other sites:     http://www.*-*-*.com/
                    ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/basic

This month features (44 Snippets)
     CUBIC SPLINE ALGORITHM FOR PBDLL, QB TO XBASIC SOURCE CODE CONVERTER,
     MEGA CD PLAYER FOR QBASIC, FAST SVGA JPEG VIEWER, PROGRESS BAR EXAMPLE,
     MINESWEEPER GAME, TIC TAC TOE GAME, SOLAR SYSTEM SIMULATION PROGRAM,
     BUDGET - MONEY MANAGER, SECRET OF COOEY II (RPG), CONNECT FIVE GAME,
     HASH FUNCTIONS FOR PB, MIDI PLAYER FOR QBASIC, AND MUCH MUCH MORE!

Thanks to all contributors and a special thanks to:

Thanks to Marc van den Dikkenberg for maintaining the ABC Netherlands page.
Thanks to all SysOps for their BBS Support.  Many thanks to all!

Scott Bishop           Jim Phillips
A. Bresler             Remi Poulin
Fred Buffington        James Salim
Keven Coots            Don Schullian
Bernt Figaro           Terry Simonds
Dieter Folger          Ken Sims
Randall L. Glass       Tarael
Antoni Gual            Sam Thursfield
Kenneth Ives           Vincent D. Voois
Dominik Kaspar         Tyler Weston
Paul Malcher           Bram van Zoelen
Richard McQuiston      Matt Zuchowski
Adam O'Neill           Zknight

Please contribute by sending in your source codes to:

Some submission notes (Greatest to Least concern):
  1. .EXE's or .COM's will be trashed!  So don't send any.
  2. If you have source code pertaining to BASIC (any flavour and for any
     platform), then please e-mail me with your contribution.
  3. Please include your real name (if you want to use an alias, TELL ME)!
  4. If you DON'T want your e-mail listed, please TELL ME!
  5. File attachments prefered, but is NOT a requirement.

Thu, 13 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 *NEW* January 2000 ABC Packets

Quote:

>The ABC Packet for January 2000 (Released December 24, 1999)

>   ABC Home Pages: http://www.basicguru.com/abc/
>                    ftp://ftp.basicguru.com/abc/
>                   http://www.xs4all.nl/~excel/pbabc.html
>                   http://www.edmc.net/~voxel/
>   Other sites:    http://www.simtel.net/simtel.net/msdos/basic.html
>                    ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/basic

Ah, 'xuse me William but if this announcement is about the *NEW* January 2000
packets what happened to the *OLD* one(s)? d:)

And, shouldn't that really be the *MILLINIUM* packets?

C'ya,

   ____    _    ____      ____  _____
  |  _ \  / \  / ___) __ | ___)(_   _) Don Schullian

  |____//_/ \_\(____/\__/|_|     |_|    www.DASoftVSS.com
  ___________________________________   www.basicguru.com
      Vertical Software Solutions

Sun, 16 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 *NEW* January 2000 ABC Packets

Quote:

>>The ABC Packet for January 2000 (Released December 24, 1999)

>>   ABC Home Pages: http://www.basicguru.com/abc/
>>                    ftp://ftp.basicguru.com/abc/
>>                   http://www.xs4all.nl/~excel/pbabc.html
>>                   http://www.edmc.net/~voxel/
>>   Other sites:    http://www.simtel.net/simtel.net/msdos/basic.html
>>                    ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/basic

>Ah, 'xuse me William but if this announcement is about the *NEW* January 2000
>packets what happened to the *OLD* one(s)? d:)

>And, shouldn't that really be the *MILLINIUM* packets?

Nope, the millenium starts in 2001

TTFN
Arclight

Sun, 16 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 *NEW* January 2000 ABC Packets
Well.. *a* millenium will end on December 31 and another will
(theoretically) begin;  it's just not the one that everyone is
celebrating.

The twenty-first century will begin in 2001.

Quote:
>And, shouldn't that really be the *MILLINIUM* packets?

Ron  n1zhi

ICQ: 26516311

Mon, 17 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 *NEW* January 2000 ABC Packets

Quote:

>Well.. *a* millenium will end on December 31 and another will
>(theoretically) begin;  it's just not the one that everyone is
>celebrating.

if your going to be like that then technically a millenium ends every
instant.

Quote:
>The twenty-first century will begin in 2001.

the 21st century begins in 2000, the next millenium (the second one
after the supposed birth of jesus) begins in 2001.

TTFN
Arclight

Tue, 18 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 *NEW* January 2000 ABC Packets

Quote:

> >Well.. *a* millenium will end on December 31 and another will
> >(theoretically) begin;  it's just not the one that everyone is
> >celebrating.
> if your going to be like that then technically a millenium ends every
> instant.

> >The twenty-first century will begin in 2001.
> the 21st century begins in 2000, the next millenium (the second one
> after the supposed birth of jesus) begins in 2001.

A millennium is a period of 10 centuries, so when 2 millennia are past, so
are 20 centuries. Thus the 21st century and the 2nd millennium start at the
same time. (1st of january 2001)

    Frits van Bommel

Tue, 18 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 *NEW* January 2000 ABC Packets

Quote:

>the 21st century begins in 2000, the next millenium (the second one
>after the supposed birth of jesus) begins in 2001.

You're right about the millenium but wrong about the century. There
was no year 0. We went from 1BC to 1AD. The first century AD ran from
the year 1 to the year 100. The second ran from 101 to 200.
Technically, therefore, the 21st century will run from 2001 to 2100.

The funny part is that I've seen at least two "experts" who said that
the fact that the millenium doesn't start until 2001 to "prove" that
all the concern over computer software failing is nonsense.

Anything here that looks like an opinion is mine and not the company which vastly underpays me.

Tue, 18 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 *NEW* January 2000 ABC Packets

Well, I don't care what it technicly is.  It's just really cool to see the
number "2000" for the year.  Leo LaPorte (from ZDTV) called it the "odometer
millenium", and that suits me just fine :)

Wed, 19 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 *NEW* January 2000 ABC Packets

<snip>

Quote:
>The funny part is that I've seen at least two "experts" who said that
>the fact that the millenium doesn't start until 2001 to "prove" that
>all the concern over computer software failing is nonsense.

Never before, in the history of man, have so many been hoodwinked by so few!
Not only do we have the false Millennium thing which was HUGE there is the Y2K
thing. Y2K, folks, would be 2048; if my count is correct! Not an good start
for this year.

P.T. Barnum's count was WAY OFF this past year!

Happy New Year to all!

   ____    _    ____      ____  _____
  |  _ \  / \  / ___) __ | ___)(_   _) Don Schullian

  |____//_/ \_\(____/\__/|_|     |_|    www.DASoftVSS.com
  ___________________________________   www.basicguru.com
      Vertical Software Solutions

Wed, 19 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 *NEW* January 2000 ABC Packets

Quote:
> Never before, in the history of man, have so many been hoodwinked by so
few!
> Not only do we have the false Millennium thing which was HUGE there is the
Y2K
> thing. Y2K, folks, would be 2048; if my count is correct! Not an good
start
> for this year.

I think 2K is only 2048 if it's about size of a file or area of memory on a
computer. Otherwise, 1K = 1000. (1 kg is 1000 grams)

    Frits van Bommel

Wed, 19 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 *NEW* January 2000 ABC Packets

Quote:

> Well, I don't care what it technicly is.  It's just really cool to see the
> number "2000" for the year.  Leo LaPorte (from ZDTV) called it the "odometer
> millenium", and that suits me just fine :)

Right. These people are being illogically logical holding on to a
mistake that's been made centuries ago.
So they made a mistake. Leave it in the past, correct it there if you
must and celebrate the millennium now.
That's far more logical than keeping the error for eternity, which is
only technically right.

Happy New Year!

--
Peter Manders.
"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."

Please remove the 'u' to reply.

Wed, 19 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 *NEW* January 2000 ABC Packets
Familie van Marc?
Quote:

>> >Well.. *a* millenium will end on December 31 and another will
>> >(theoretically) begin;  it's just not the one that everyone is
>> >celebrating.
>> if your going to be like that then technically a millenium ends every
>> instant.

>> >The twenty-first century will begin in 2001.
>> the 21st century begins in 2000, the next millenium (the second one
>> after the supposed birth of jesus) begins in 2001.

>A millennium is a period of 10 centuries, so when 2 millennia are past, so
>are 20 centuries. Thus the 21st century and the 2nd millennium start at the
>same time. (1st of january 2001)

>    Frits van Bommel

Wed, 19 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 *NEW* January 2000 ABC Packets
On Fri, 31 Dec 1999 11:34:24 +0100, "Frits van Bommel"

Quote:

>> >Well.. *a* millenium will end on December 31 and another will
>> >(theoretically) begin;  it's just not the one that everyone is
>> >celebrating.
>> if your going to be like that then technically a millenium ends every
>> instant.

>> >The twenty-first century will begin in 2001.
>> the 21st century begins in 2000, the next millenium (the second one
>> after the supposed birth of jesus) begins in 2001.

>A millennium is a period of 10 centuries, so when 2 millennia are past, so
>are 20 centuries. Thus the 21st century and the 2nd millennium start at the
>same time. (1st of january 2001)

When I was on work experience at a computer systems migration agency,
they had a fact-sheet, and according to that centuries start when the
last two digits of a date roll over to 00, and it had some stupid
historical reason for this.

TTFN
Arclight

Wed, 19 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 *NEW* January 2000 ABC Packets
On Sat, 1 Jan 2000 17:32:56 +0100, "Frits van Bommel"

Quote:

>> Never before, in the history of man, have so many been hoodwinked by so
>few!
>> Not only do we have the false Millennium thing which was HUGE there is the
>Y2K
>> thing. Y2K, folks, would be 2048; if my count is correct! Not an good
>start
>> for this year.

>I think 2K is only 2048 if it's about size of a file or area of memory on a
>computer. Otherwise, 1K = 1000. (1 kg is 1000 grams)

in mechanics & electronics
1K is 1024
1k is 1000
The capitalisation is important. (can't remember if it's the other way
round because I'm still rather drunk, but I do remember that the
capitalisation is what distinguishes between the two)

TTFN
Arclight

Wed, 19 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 *NEW* January 2000 ABC Packets

Quote:
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2000 17:32:56 +0100, "Frits van Bommel"

> >> Never before, in the history of man, have so many been hoodwinked by so
> >few!
> >> Not only do we have the false Millennium thing which was HUGE there is
the
> >Y2K
> >> thing. Y2K, folks, would be 2048; if my count is correct! Not an good
> >start
> >> for this year.

> >I think 2K is only 2048 if it's about size of a file or area of memory on
> >computer. Otherwise, 1K = 1000. (1 kg is 1000 grams)
> in mechanics & electronics
> 1K is 1024
> 1k is 1000
> The capitalisation is important. (can't remember if it's the other way
> round because I'm still rather drunk, but I do remember that the
> capitalisation is what distinguishes between the two)

I didn't know that. Can anybody here confirm this?

    Frits van Bommel

Wed, 19 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 42 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3]

 Relevant Pages

1. *NEW* March 2000 ABC Packets

2. *NEW* September 1999 ABC Packets

3. *NEW* July 1999 ABC Packets

4. Clarion 5.5 - ignored MS-Sql 2000 logon packets?

5. Socket packet timing on Windows 2000

6. Cincom announces Cincom Smalltalk January 2000

7. This Week In Clarion Magazine - January 25, 2000

8. Clarion Magazine Update - January 18, 2000

9. Clarion Magazine Update: January 11, 2000

10. Clarion Magazine Update - January 4, 2000

11. NYC LOCAL: LXNY Meeting Tuesday 4 January 2000: Philip Wadler will speak on XML and Lisp

12. NYC LOCAL: LXNY Meeting Tuesday 4 January 2000: Philip Wadler will speak on XML and Lisp