Biorythm
Author Message
 Biorythm

Hallo!

I search a BASIC source code for the calculation of the Biorythm.
Where a source code  is available?  Thanks in advance!

Hischam

Wed, 30 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Biorythm
Hi Hischam, nice to see you not only in that Waldorf-ng.........

Greetings,
-Benjamin.

Hischam A.Hapatsch schrieb in Nachricht

Quote:
>Hallo!

>I search a BASIC source code for the calculation of the Biorythm.
>Where a source code  is available?  Thanks in advance!

>Hischam

Wed, 30 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Biorythm

Quote:

>I search a BASIC source code for the calculation of the Biorythm.
>Where a source code  is available?  Thanks in advance!

Biorhythms are easy to calculate, but highly bogus.  Even if humans
really have those rhythms at those intervals, no biological clock is
so precise as to remain accurate over long periods of time.  Even the
biological clocks which are triggered by outside events, such as bird
migrations or the menstrual period, which may be affected by the moon
somehow, are not that accurate.  Women placed in close proximity with
other women, say in the military or prison, tend to synchronize their
periods, probably through pheromones or some such mechanism.  Other
biological clocks can be affected by external stimuli in a similar
manner.  So no biological clock is that precise over time, except those
like the diurnal cycles, which operate on a short externally triggered
time base.  But many experiments have clearly shown that if you place
people away from the stimuli of the day/night cycle, say in a cave with
no time indicators, even those short cycles quickly get way out of line
too.  So even if biorhythms really do exist, and even if you start
calculating in sync with them, your calculations would be in error
after a few weeks or months as the biological cycles drifted out of
sync from your precisely calculated cycles.  In other words, biorhythm
calculations are useless.  It's that simple.  Sorry.
--

Sun Valley Systems    http://personal.bhm.bellsouth.net/~judmc

Wed, 30 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Biorythm

Quote:

>>I search a BASIC source code for the calculation of the Biorythm.
>>Where a source code  is available?  Thanks in advance!

>Biorhythms are easy to calculate, but highly bogus

Thanks for you answer!

Hischam

Wed, 30 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Biorythm

Quote:

>Hi Hischam, nice to see you not only in that Waldorf-ng.........

Ganz meinerseits ;-))

Hischam

Wed, 30 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Biorythm

Quote:

>> >I search a BASIC source code for the calculation of the Biorythm.
>> >Where a source code  is available?  Thanks in advance!

>> Biorhythms are easy to calculate, but highly bogus.  Even if humans
>> really have those rhythms at those intervals, no biological clock is
>> so precise as to remain accurate over long periods of time.  Even the
>> biological clocks which are triggered by outside events, such as bird
>> migrations or the menstrual period, which may be affected by the moon
>> somehow, are not that accurate.  Women placed in close proximity with
>> other women, say in the military or prison, tend to synchronize their
>> periods, probably through pheromones or some such mechanism.  Other
>> biological clocks can be affected by external stimuli in a similar
>> manner.  So no biological clock is that precise over time, except those
>> like the diurnal cycles, which operate on a short externally triggered
>> time base.  But many experiments have clearly shown that if you place
>> people away from the stimuli of the day/night cycle, say in a cave with
>> no time indicators, even those short cycles quickly get way out of line
>> too.  So even if biorhythms really do exist, and even if you start
>> calculating in sync with them, your calculations would be in error
>> after a few weeks or months as the biological cycles drifted out of
>> sync from your precisely calculated cycles.  In other words, biorhythm
>> calculations are useless.  It's that simple.  Sorry.

>While you write buirhythm calculations are useless, you have no experience
>with it loke all other skeptics.  You'll have to read some of my posts to
>find my evidence but really need your own in order to evaluate.  Don

Not only do you make the invalid assumption that biorhythms work, you just
made another invalid assumption that I have no experience with them.
Unlike some people, I make sure I have the facts before speaking.  You can
be sure that I have explored biorhythms in detail, which is why I am quite
certain they are completely bogus.  Many people just love to believe in
things which sound appealing to them, whether those things have a sound
basis in fact or not.  Most people attribute a suitable quote ("There is a
sucker born every minute") about people like that to Phineas Taylor Barnum.
However, what Barnum actually said was "The people like to be humbugged",
which is just as true.  The original quote "There's a sucker born every
minute, but none of them ever die" is actually from a notorious con-man
named Joseph Bessimer, alias "Paper Collar Joe" (see A. H. Saxon, "P. T.
Barnum: The Legend and the Man", 1989).  You see, it pays to know what
you are talking about before you open your mouth, or you simply display
your ignorance.  Biorhythms are bogus, and anyone who believes in them is
simply 'being humbugged'.  However, if you like being humbugged you can
be sure that P.T. Barnum and Paper Collar Joe would understand.  They
just loved people like you :-)
--

Sun Valley Systems    http://personal.bhm.bellsouth.net/~judmc

Thu, 31 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Biorythm

Quote:

>Hallo!
>I search a BASIC source code for the calculation of the Biorythm.
>Where a source code  is available?  Thanks in advance!
>Hischam

Since I have seen no reply that answers your request for a download
location for biorhythm, I will give you enough information that you can
write your own program.

I have given this programming problem to honor math students and had a
lot of fun with them doing it. Everyone regarded it somewhat like a party
game and certainly no one took it seriously. The top 5 solutions got
candy bars.

For every example you can think up that fits happy events with high
indexes and sad events with low indexes, there are many thousands that are
never mentioned that do not fit the indexes at all. As the old Southern
saying goes, "Even a blind hog will root up an acorn or two!"

My wife and I used to joke that our marriage could not possibly work
because of the many low index readings surrounding that event. We have been
happily married for a few decades.

The premises are that the PSI indexes are all 0 at birth and trending
upward. (How could the Physical Index be 0? It should be 100!) To continue
with this party game, the trend of the PSI waves (Physical, Social,
Intelligence) is sinusoidal whose peaks are at +/- 100. The periods are:

           Physical = 23 days
           Social = 28 days
           Intelligence = 33 days

The other thing you need to know is how many days there are between the
birth date of the subject and the date of the event being investigated.
One or two days error will not affect the readings significantly. Now you
find the values of these 3 sine waves at the time of the event and multiply
each by 100.

That's all there is to it.

Sat, 02 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT