Simple Question I think.
Author Message
 Simple Question I think.

Hi,
   I am converting a simple basic program into Java, and I am stuck on
two lines in the code.

The first line is

NUM%=INSTR(ROW$, TB$)

I cannot seem to find what INSTR means, I am sure it is something
simple. (Looking through the code, I cannot find the other one I was
stuck on, but I will ask another question anyway :)  )

I also see lots of lines with something ":" something else, for example
MAX = X : N% = J%

what does the ":" mean in this instance, I think it is just a way of
doing more then one command on the same line, is this right ?

thanks for your help

Paul

--
To reply to me, remove "no_spam" from my email address.

Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:07:02 GMT
 Simple Question I think.
On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 00:07:02 +1100, Paul Snow

Quote:

>Hi,
>   I am converting a simple basic program into Java, and I am stuck on
>two lines in the code.

>The first line is

>NUM%=INSTR(ROW$, TB$)

Returns the starting position of TB$ in ROW$
print instr("Hello World","lo") would print 4
the format is instr([starting position],string1,string2).
'[...]' is optional.

Quote:

>I also see lots of lines with something ":" something else, for example
>MAX = X : N% = J%

>what does the ":" mean in this instance, I think it is just a way of
>doing more then one command on the same line, is this right ?

':' allows multiple statements on one line. Great feature for code
obfuscation...

My favorite feature are IF...ENDIF pairs with IF's on one line NOT
needing an ENDIF, but multi-line IF's requiring it, with ELSE thrown
into the mix, and only indentation or counting IFs allowing you to
figure out what code gets executed where when you are looking at a
printout!

Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:43:51 GMT

1. Simple Question I think.

2. simple question (i think)

3. Simple (I think) regex question

4. Question in french (a simple question, very simple)

5. simple I think

6. C4 : I thought this would be simple....

7. simple (I think) problem with rexx

8. Its Urgent,but simple I think

9. wish82 crash using what I thought was a simple read/puts loop

10. A fairly simple (I think) Smalltalk problem) in V286

11. Simple forth question - maybe simple ?

12. Simple Question seeks simple answer