Can I hear those tones?
Author Message
 Can I hear those tones?

Using PowerBasic, I know I can generate "tones" or sounds in hertz. Does
anyone know if I can write code to recognize hertz tones? I'd actually like
to write a program that takes a sound file (could be anything, like wav)
that has DTMF tones and decode them. (I know DTMF tones are actually 2 tones
played together. The program would actually have to do that.) Maybe it's not
possible through a sound file, but some other way.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Brad

Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:17:23 GMT
 Can I hear those tones?

Quote:

>Using PowerBasic, I know I can generate "tones" or sounds in hertz. Does
>anyone know if I can write code to recognize hertz tones? I'd actually like
>to write a program that takes a sound file (could be anything, like wav)
>that has DTMF tones and decode them. (I know DTMF tones are actually 2 tones
>played together. The program would actually have to do that.) Maybe it's not
>possible through a sound file, but some other way.
>Any ideas?
>Thanks,
>Brad

I don't see why you can't do it. The .WAV header is pretty easy to define and
the rest is just data translated into 'notes'. Try over to www.wotzit.com for
the file layout.

--
C'ya,

  Don Schullian
www.DASoftVSS.com
www.basicguru.com

Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:16:47 GMT
 Can I hear those tones?
Isn't this the easiest to do with external hardware on the LPT port?

I believe there are very simple IC's to decode DTMF.
Btw, i've done a lot with HAM, decoding signals.
I think that a windows app can do it too but might be working poorly.
(speed)

I even think hardware can be made very easy.
I believe it's  a set of 3 tones or slightly more
1+3
1+2
2+3
etc..
Wich makes decoding using a filter quite easy and THEN you might need a
simple binary switch to receive.
No speed at all.

Quote:

>Using PowerBasic, I know I can generate "tones" or sounds in hertz. Does
>anyone know if I can write code to recognize hertz tones? I'd actually like
>to write a program that takes a sound file (could be anything, like wav)
>that has DTMF tones and decode them. (I know DTMF tones are actually 2
tones
>played together. The program would actually have to do that.) Maybe it's
not
>possible through a sound file, but some other way.
>Any ideas?
>Thanks,
>Brad

Fri, 13 Aug 2004 03:30:32 GMT
 Can I hear those tones?
Please be sure to check out the discussion on the PowerBASIC BS where
you also asked the same question...  it's at
http://www.powerbasic.com/support/forums/Forum6/HTML/002322.html

Thanks!

Quote:

>Using PowerBasic, I know I can generate "tones" or sounds in hertz. Does
>anyone know if I can write code to recognize hertz tones? I'd actually like
>to write a program that takes a sound file (could be anything, like wav)
>that has DTMF tones and decode them. (I know DTMF tones are actually 2 tones
>played together. The program would actually have to do that.) Maybe it's not
>possible through a sound file, but some other way.
>Any ideas?
>Thanks,
>Brad

Lance
PowerBASIC Support

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 06:09:49 GMT
 Can I hear those tones?

decided to enlighten us with :

Quote:
>Using PowerBasic, I know I can generate "tones" or sounds in hertz. Does
>anyone know if I can write code to recognize hertz tones? I'd actually like
>to write a program that takes a sound file (could be anything, like wav)
>that has DTMF tones and decode them. (I know DTMF tones are actually 2 tones
>played together. The program would actually have to do that.) Maybe it's not
>possible through a sound file, but some other way.
>Any ideas?
>Thanks,
>Brad

You'll need to perform a Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) on the audio
data. The FFT converts audio data from the time domain to the
frequency domain. (I still don't quite understand the underlying
concept!).

If you have a block of data, you know you can display the waveform of
that data, like an oscilloscope would. That's the time domain.

If you then performed an FFT on the data, the result would contain the
relative intensities of the component frequencies of the audio. You
could graph this, and in the case of DTMF, you would see two sharp
peaks corresponding to the two frequencies that made up the original
signal.

Further, you could modify the resulting data, attenuating either
frequency intensity to zero, effectively removing that frequency from
the signal. If you then performed an inverse FFT, you would have your
original data, but with one frequency filtered out.

The technique isn't perfect, but if you only have a small subset of
frequencies to detect, and those frequencies are far enough apart, you
should have no problem at all doing what you want.

You can extend the accuracy of the function by submitting more samples
at a time. The number of elements in and out must be a power of two.
If you don't have enough samples, you can simply repeat the data as
necessary, applying a windowing function to the data.

There is an excellent resource for FFT code at
http://www.fullspectrum.com/deeth/main.html , and the site owner also
programs in PB. I would recommend starting there.

        HTH,

        J.
        Jeremiah D. Seitz
        Porch karaoke king and the guy who runs with 8< scissors >8
        Omega Techware
        http://www.omegatechware.com

Mon, 06 Dec 2004 04:52:50 GMT
 Can I hear those tones?
Well, hello Jerry...glad to see you're still around.

decided to enlighten us with :

Quote:
>Using PowerBasic, I know I can generate "tones" or sounds in hertz. Does
>anyone know if I can write code to recognize hertz tones? I'd actually like
>to write a program that takes a sound file (could be anything, like wav)
>that has DTMF tones and decode them. (I know DTMF tones are actually 2
tones
>played together. The program would actually have to do that.) Maybe it's
not
>possible through a sound file, but some other way.
>Any ideas?
>Thanks,
>Brad

You'll need to perform a Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) on the audio
data. The FFT converts audio data from the time domain to the
frequency domain. (I still don't quite understand the underlying
concept!).

If you have a block of data, you know you can display the waveform of
that data, like an oscilloscope would. That's the time domain.

If you then performed an FFT on the data, the result would contain the
relative intensities of the component frequencies of the audio. You
could graph this, and in the case of DTMF, you would see two sharp
peaks corresponding to the two frequencies that made up the original
signal.

Further, you could modify the resulting data, attenuating either
frequency intensity to zero, effectively removing that frequency from
the signal. If you then performed an inverse FFT, you would have your
original data, but with one frequency filtered out.

The technique isn't perfect, but if you only have a small subset of
frequencies to detect, and those frequencies are far enough apart, you
should have no problem at all doing what you want.

You can extend the accuracy of the function by submitting more samples
at a time. The number of elements in and out must be a power of two.
If you don't have enough samples, you can simply repeat the data as
necessary, applying a windowing function to the data.

There is an excellent resource for FFT code at
http://www.fullspectrum.com/deeth/main.html , and the site owner also
programs in PB. I would recommend starting there.

HTH,

J.
Jeremiah D. Seitz
Porch karaoke king and the guy who runs with 8< scissors >8
Omega Techware
http://www.omegatechware.com

Mon, 06 Dec 2004 05:38:19 GMT
 Can I hear those tones?

enlighten us with :

Quote:
>Well, hello Jerry...glad to see you're still around.

I'm here and there. I saw you in another group fairly recently,
although I can't remember which one it was. I posted a followup to
your message saying "Ceg ?".

My mail addy is the same as listed above. Drop me a line and we can
talk about the good old days on the porch, or anything else that comes
to mind.

I'm leaving town tonight, and will be gone for a few days, but I'll
have my notebook PC with me, and I should be able to access my mail
and news.

        Peace,

        J.
        Jeremiah D. Seitz
        Porch karaoke king and the guy who runs with 8< scissors >8
        Omega Techware
        http://www.omegatechware.com

Mon, 06 Dec 2004 08:41:21 GMT
 Can I hear those tones?
I missed your post.  I'll drop you a line tonight or tomorrow.

enlighten us with :

Quote:
>Well, hello Jerry...glad to see you're still around.

I'm here and there. I saw you in another group fairly recently,
although I can't remember which one it was. I posted a followup to
your message saying "Ceg ?".

My mail addy is the same as listed above. Drop me a line and we can
talk about the good old days on the porch, or anything else that comes
to mind.

I'm leaving town tonight, and will be gone for a few days, but I'll
have my notebook PC with me, and I should be able to access my mail
and news.

Peace,

J.
Jeremiah D. Seitz
Porch karaoke king and the guy who runs with 8< scissors >8
Omega Techware
http://www.omegatechware.com

Mon, 06 Dec 2004 09:20:25 GMT
 Can I hear those tones?

enlighten us with :

Quote:
>I missed your post.  I'll drop you a line tonight or tomorrow.

Ceg,

        I received your message on one of the corporate machines, which
unfortunately, was really screwed up, and basically ended up losing
every message I read, including yours. Could you retransmit it ?

        Thanks,

        J.
        Jeremiah D. Seitz
        Porch karaoke king and the guy who runs with 8< scissors >8
        Omega Techware
        http://www.omegatechware.com

Thu, 09 Dec 2004 05:53:12 GMT
 Can I hear those tones?
You can reach me at   ceg 'at' ceg.sytes.net (fix the addy).

enlighten us with :

Quote:
>I missed your post.  I'll drop you a line tonight or tomorrow.

Ceg,

I received your message on one of the corporate machines, which
unfortunately, was really screwed up, and basically ended up losing
every message I read, including yours. Could you retransmit it ?

Thanks,

J.
Jeremiah D. Seitz
Porch karaoke king and the guy who runs with 8< scissors >8
Omega Techware
http://www.omegatechware.com

Thu, 09 Dec 2004 06:04:30 GMT

1. CA Cans VO ?

2. It's not bad canned meat...

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. It's not bad canned meat...

6. It's not bad canned meat...

7. detecting tones

8. using PB6 w/ inline asm to generate pc-speaker tones

9. DTMF Tones

10. TONE() output to sound card

11. The tone of discussions on comp.lang.eiffel

12. Dialing Tones