help pb 6.0 ?
Author Message
 help pb 6.0 ?

Hi everybody,

Well I'm french and I hope my english will be understandable.
Please reply me if I make too much mistakes.

My problem :
I have a registred version of DOS PB 3.10 and I find it's a great
compiler for DOS, fast and reliable, maybe the best (I don't know
basic pds). In my last job, I discover VB 4.0 and made some dev with;
I find the graphics environment of VB very simple to use but product
seems slow for calculations.

I have been heard of PB/DLL which increase the level of performance
and run without the boring dll (vbxxx.dll, and others) by generating
only a "program.exe".

So now I would like to migrate my pb prog. in Windows environment with
a real Windows end-user interface and I don't understand well which
product to purchase (PB/CC PB/DLL, ...)

If I get PB/DLL, will I be able to draw end user interface as easyly
as I did in VB environment by using components directly from toolsbar
(forms, buttons, controls, textcombo, grid, chart, ....) without the
need of VB (I don't have it); this feature is *essential * for me.

I'm looking for a full product to dev. ("draw") easyly from scratch
entire windows based applications with "feel and click" end-user
interface, like VB already can.

So as that time I hesitate between the product VB and PB/DLL ?
and have no money to buy both.

Which is the best product and the most simple to use according to you
?

What are the differences between pb/cc and pb/dll ?
what does DDT mean ?
what is PowerGen ?

I stay confused with the differents versions pb/cc v1.0, v1.5, v2.0
and pb/dll v5.0, v6.0 ? Why so many products and versions?

I precise that I already took a look on the official site
powerbasic.com and I didn't find a plain response (deliberately?)

Who can help me and explain the benefits of pb/dll vs VB and give
details of features of them.

To terminate I thought that it would be better to post here to get the
point of view of developers as well, and not only the commercial
proposition of powerbasic.com.

Thanks to all for the contributions.

Mon, 11 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
[...]

Quote:
> ...Which is the best product and the most simple to use according to
you...
> What are the differences between pb/cc and pb/dll ?
> what does DDT mean ?
> what is PowerGen ?...

Depending on the what kind of application you want to write can use PB/DLL,
PB/CC or both!.  PB/DLL is used for writing DLL's that can directly
interface with programs that support DLL's, write full GUI applications, or
both combined.  To make GUI "front ends" you will need to (a) Write them in
PowerBasic's DDT (a "human" interface to create dialogs programmatically),
(b) writing them using the API directly (does anyone REALLY do this?), or
(c) use a third party application such as Microsoft's Visual Studio (my
preference) or Microsoft's Dialog editor (included with some PowerBasic
applications) which can them be converted to a resource file that is
appended onto PB/DLL program with the help of PowerGen (by PowerBasic).

PB/CC on the otherhand, can do many of the things PB/DLL can do (especially
combined with the third party application Console tools by Perfect Sync).
It's main forte though is console applications, which are "DOS like" text
boxes that link to the heart of the Win operating system.

PB/CC can be thought as the "next step" in the evolution of DOS BASIC
programs as it is the closest to PB for DOS.  While PB/DLL is a great
addition (or even replacement!) to Visual Basic/C++.

Mon, 11 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Serial comms from PB 6.0

2. PB/DLL 6.0 - PBEDIT Bug found...

3. When was PB/DLL 6.0 released?

4. Algebraic Function Solver source for PB/DLL 6.0 Now Available

5. MS Word Template for PB/DLL 6.0

6. Telnet PB/DLL 6.0

7. PB 3.2.PB/Vision 2.0 Timerinstallcode.Shared Arrays

8. MX Lookup with PB/CC or PB/DLL

9. TCPADDR for PB/DLL & PB/CC

10. Info on new PB/CC and PB/DLL

11. Announcing the JazzAge COM Wizard for PB/DLL and PB/CC

12. animated characters, speech input/output in PB/DLL and PB/CC