Another key capture question
Author Message
 Another key capture question

Hello everyone,

I have been reading the group since its inception and have learned a lot
without having to post.  But now I have a question that hasn't been
addressed.

Here's the background.  I'm using PBCC 2.0.  I'm running with numlock
on.  I am blind, so I use screen access software to speak my screen
output.  The access software uses the numeric pad keys to review the
screen.  The problem is that those keystrokes are not captured, as they
were in dos.  Windows faithfully passes them on to my applications.  So,
when I'm waiting for keyboard input and I review my screen, those
numbers appear in the keyboard buffer.

My question becomes: is there a way to differentiate between the numpad
keystrokes with numlock on and the number keys on the top row of the
keyboard?

I replaced all my line input and input statements with stdin line and
that helped a lot.  But when awaiting single keystrokes like yes/no
prompts or in my little text editor, those numeric pad keystrokes used
to review the screen are accepted by my applications.  If I could tell
the difference, I could have my apps eat those keystrokes.

It must be possible because the screen access software knows the
difference.

I thought maybe the inshift statement might be of help but it seems to
read the same for both sets of number keys.

Thanks for listening and happy holidays to all.
George

Tue, 11 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Another key capture question

Quote:

> Thanks for listening and happy holidays to all.
> George

You'll have to capture WM_KEYDOWN messages.
Its lParam value contains the keyboard scan code in bits 16 to 23, which
is different for every key on the keyboard. You can also use bit 24,
which flags extended keys.

--
Peter Manders.
"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."

Please remove the 'u' to reply.

Tue, 11 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. python Newbie Question: key-press capturing.

2. Incremental Development Process is Key to Capturing OO Benefits

3. Incremental Development Process is Key to Capturing OO

4. VSE - Capturing Enter Key.

5. capturing key strokes for testing

6. How to capture key events

7. FXRuby: how to capture a function key?

8. How to capture key-presses (keyboard-presses)???

9. Capturing key presses...

10. Can you capture Key-Release events in Tkinter?

11. capturing arrow keys and tab

12. Set(Key,Key) Question