Sleep
Author Message
 Sleep

If I run this PBCC 3.0 program in Windows 95:

#INCLUDE "WIN32API.INC"

FUNCTION PBMAIN() AS LONG

    SLEEP 1000000

END FUNCTION

and click on a link in the Agent news reader, Agent will hang until
the sleep program is interrupted.

If I run this Visual C program:

#include <windows.h>

int main (int argc, char *argv[])

{       Sleep (1000000);
        return 0;

Quote:
}

nothing unusual happens.

Any ideas? I know that it does not need to be an PBCC issue.

--
Svend Olaf

Thu, 21 Apr 2005 23:54:01 GMT
 Sleep
I ran it here under Win/98 and it behaved as anticipated... opened up a
console window, did nothing, died 15-16 minutes later. Did not
interrupt/affect operation of Outlook Express, Internet Explorer, PB/CC
Editor or Solitaire.

--
Michael Mattias
Tal Systems, Inc.

Quote:
> If I run this PBCC 3.0 program in Windows 95:

> #INCLUDE "WIN32API.INC"

> FUNCTION PBMAIN() AS LONG

>     SLEEP 1000000

> END FUNCTION

> and click on a link in the Agent news reader, Agent will hang until
> the sleep program is interrupted.

> If I run this Visual C program:

> #include <windows.h>

> int main (int argc, char *argv[])

> { Sleep (1000000);
> return 0;
> }

> nothing unusual happens.

> Any ideas? I know that it does not need to be an PBCC issue.

> --
> Svend Olaf

Fri, 22 Apr 2005 01:57:14 GMT
 Sleep
On Sun, 03 Nov 2002 17:57:14 GMT, "Michael Mattias"

Quote:

>I ran it here under Win/98 and it behaved as anticipated... opened up a
>console window, did nothing, died 15-16 minutes later. Did not
>interrupt/affect operation of Outlook Express, Internet Explorer, PB/CC
>Editor or Solitaire.

I only noticed the problem in the Agent news reader.

It however turns out that Agent will hang when a link in a message is
clicked, no matter which CC program that is running (I tried two
different) (also without sleep). As soon as the CC program is
finished, Agent proceeds.

This applies to Forte Agent version 1.5. I have used that version in
years without observing conflicts with other programs in Windows 95.

I now tried with Agent version 1.92, and with that version the problem
did not occur.
--
Svend Olaf

Fri, 22 Apr 2005 02:15:31 GMT
 Sleep
Hi Svend,

If you are using one of the first couple of editions Windows 95 (pre
OSR2) it is very likely you will need to install the free DCOM 1.3
Update from Microsoft to bring the Windows COM subsystem up to date.
You can find it at
http://www.microsoft.com/com/dcom/dcom95/download.asp

The update is not needed on later versions of Windows (OSR2 and up)

I hope this helps.  If you have any further questions, please do not
hesitate to ask!

Thanks!

Quote:
>If I run this PBCC 3.0 program in Windows 95:

>#INCLUDE "WIN32API.INC"

>FUNCTION PBMAIN() AS LONG

>    SLEEP 1000000

>END FUNCTION

>and click on a link in the Agent news reader, Agent will hang until
>the sleep program is interrupted.

>If I run this Visual C program:

>#include <windows.h>

>int main (int argc, char *argv[])

>{   Sleep (1000000);
>    return 0;
>}

>nothing unusual happens.

>Any ideas? I know that it does not need to be an PBCC issue.

Lance
powerbasic Support

Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:20:26 GMT

1. SLEEP: Can I put a php program to sleep for hours or even days?

2. (sleep 4) in Lucid on a Sun sleeps 4000000 seconds?!

3. sleeping with the enemy? J2EE and .NET

4. Processor sleep in the UI

5. DLLANDC and zooming past sleep()

6. Script for putting computer to sleep

7. Sleep n milliseconds