is PB for me?
Author Message
 is PB for me?

I have important QuickBasic 4.5 code that I would like to convert
to the Win32 environment. Mostly procedural number crunching
(algorithms). Very little interactivity or file I/O but integer handling
and if-then-else speed are paramount. Sample PB programs seem
to suggest that PB has the required qualities in terms of speed.

I am wondering if PB can understand code like this:
    x% = x%( i% )
where x%( i% ) refers to an array of integers
and x%, without parenthesis, refers to a different integer variable
This is valid in QB, but many languages prohibit this, what about PB?

Thanks in advance

Vianney

Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:06:40 GMT
 is PB for me?

Quote:

> I am wondering if PB can understand code like this:
>     x% = x%( i% )
> where x%( i% ) refers to an array of integers
> and x%, without parenthesis, refers to a different integer variable
> This is valid in QB, but many languages prohibit this, what about PB?

Not if they are both "X%".

but X% is X%, which is either a simple scalar variable or an array variable.
i.e., if X% is an array variable, it must always appear with a subscript
qualifier; if a scalar variable, it may not appear with a qualifying
subscript.

You must be a young guy. An old fart like me would be easily confused by
"X%" and X%()" referring to two different things. You'll learn.

MCM

Wed, 13 Jul 2005 02:27:55 GMT
 is PB for me?

Quote:
> You must be a young guy. An old fart like me would be easily confused by
> "X%" and X%()" referring to two different things. You'll learn.

If you're old enough, you've used MS BASIC or DEC BASIC Plus or some older
BASIC that allowed such things.

Tom Lake

Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:52:06 GMT
 is PB for me?

Quote:
> > You must be a young guy. An old fart like me would be easily confused by
> > "X%" and X%()" referring to two different things. You'll learn.

> If you're old enough, you've used MS BASIC or DEC BASIC Plus or some older
> BASIC that allowed such things.

> Tom Lake

I told you: Microsoft Quick Basic 4.5, last century!

Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:55:32 GMT

1. I am happy - PB 3.5 arrived.

2. PB 3.2.PB/Vision 2.0 Timerinstallcode.Shared Arrays

3. MX Lookup with PB/CC or PB/DLL

4. TCPADDR for PB/DLL & PB/CC

5. Info on new PB/CC and PB/DLL

6. Announcing the JazzAge COM Wizard for PB/DLL and PB/CC

7. animated characters, speech input/output in PB/DLL and PB/CC

8. email enable PB/DLL-PB/CC using Outlook

9. SQL, ADO/OLE-DB programming in PB/DLL and PB/CC

10. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

11. PB/DLL question: pb-function that returns a record... HOW?

12. new JA 'CE' for PB/DLL, PB/CC OpenBeta3