Report writer
Author Message
 Report writer

What report writer do you use for your system?

What I would like to do is supply users with standard reports.
Then if they want to be able to change the report they could go
into a section and change it to what ever they liked. Failing that some
report writer that a programmer can quickly use.

For example all the time we tend to have to change the program to fit
the clients statements. Even if there the same everyone
seems to require different layout. Is there any report
writer that allows the user to change easily the format of the
statement.

Or say I write a report for a client. Now he wants to modify it.
Is there any report writer that would easily allow me to change the
report.

As we have a lot of clients I cannot use a system which requires
run-time licences.

Fri, 31 Oct 2003 23:15:33 GMT
 Report writer

says...

Quote:
> What report writer do you use for your system?

> What I would like to do is supply users with standard reports.
> Then if they want to be able to change the report they could go
> into a section and change it to what ever they liked. Failing that some
> report writer that a programmer can quickly use.

> For example all the time we tend to have to change the program to fit
> the clients statements. Even if there the same everyone
> seems to require different layout. Is there any report
> writer that allows the user to change easily the format of the
> statement.

> Or say I write a report for a client. Now he wants to modify it.
> Is there any report writer that would easily allow me to change the
> report.

> As we have a lot of clients I cannot use a system which requires
> run-time licences.

Does absolutely no one here use a report writer? What do you do for
reports and statements if the client suddenly wants some changes?

Thu, 06 Nov 2003 12:00:26 GMT
 Report writer
Make the changes and charge the client

Bruce

Quote:

> says...
> > What report writer do you use for your system?

> > What I would like to do is supply users with standard reports.
> > Then if they want to be able to change the report they could go
> > into a section and change it to what ever they liked. Failing that some
> > report writer that a programmer can quickly use.

> > For example all the time we tend to have to change the program to fit
> > the clients statements. Even if there the same everyone
> > seems to require different layout. Is there any report
> > writer that allows the user to change easily the format of the
> > statement.

> > Or say I write a report for a client. Now he wants to modify it.
> > Is there any report writer that would easily allow me to change the
> > report.

> > As we have a lot of clients I cannot use a system which requires
> > run-time licences.

> Does absolutely no one here use a report writer? What do you do for
> reports and statements if the client suddenly wants some changes?

Fri, 07 Nov 2003 03:40:36 GMT
 Report writer

Quote:

>Does absolutely no one here use a report writer? What do you do for
>reports and statements if the client suddenly wants some changes?

One starts by writing code that is easily modified. This requires a bit of
<thimk ahead> planning but is well worth it. Then I take the request, make a
face or two, tell them to give me a week to 10 days, go home/office, play some
Serious Sam, Quake, etc., take a 5 minute break to put in the mods and charge

them that they were going to want that!
<grin>

--
C'ya,

  Don Schullian
www.DASoftVSS.com
www.basicguru.com

Fri, 07 Nov 2003 20:17:23 GMT
 Report writer

Quote:

> >Does absolutely no one here use a report writer? What do you do for
> >reports and statements if the client suddenly wants some changes?

> One starts by writing code that is easily modified. This requires a bit of
> <thimk ahead> planning but is well worth it.

Agreed in theory in practice this is quite difficult.

Quote:
> Then I take the request, make a
> face or two, tell them to give me a week to 10 days, go home/office, play some
> Serious Sam, Quake, etc., take a 5 minute break to put in the mods and charge

> them that they were going to want that!
> <grin>

I want the sale a report writer is a great way to interest them. Show
them the power of my software without re-inventing the wheel. On a major
job its just about vital. VB and Dephi programmers use them all the time
surely powerbasic people use some report writers.
Quote:

> --
> C'ya,

>   Don Schullian
> www.DASoftVSS.com
> www.basicguru.com

Sat, 08 Nov 2003 17:23:49 GMT
 Report writer
Your best bet, in my opinion, is to store your data in a widely available
database format and use Crystal Reports to access this data.  The software
company that I work for makes a product in Delphi and stores its data in
Paradox tables.  Our clients, or us, have the ability to modify any reports
(and we include over 200 reports with the software) in Crystal Reports
directly.

Quote:
> What report writer do you use for your system?

> What I would like to do is supply users with standard reports.
> Then if they want to be able to change the report they could go
> into a section and change it to what ever they liked. Failing that some
> report writer that a programmer can quickly use.

> For example all the time we tend to have to change the program to fit
> the clients statements. Even if there the same everyone
> seems to require different layout. Is there any report
> writer that allows the user to change easily the format of the
> statement.

> Or say I write a report for a client. Now he wants to modify it.
> Is there any report writer that would easily allow me to change the
> report.

> As we have a lot of clients I cannot use a system which requires
> run-time licences.

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:23:35 GMT

1. Report Writer, Crystal Reports

2. exporting report procedure to report writer

3. HURRY - CW4 external Report Writer (TXR) and 2 detail on 1 report

4. Sending Filters To a Cw Report Writer Report

5. Report Writer - Total Only Report

6. Printing Report Writer report to a file?

7. converting Report Writer reports to APP Procedures.

8. Crystal Reports or other Report Writer

9. Report Writer vs. Report Formatter

10. Sending Filters To a Cw Report Writer Report

11. Multiple report copies in CW Report Writer

12. R&R Report Writer & Report Smith