Debugging a DLL with PB DLL6?
Author Message
 Debugging a DLL with PB DLL6?

--
Hi all,

It seems that when we want to create a DLL, we need first to create an EXE
file in order to be able to debug it?
Then we have to change Libmain to PBMAIN

Am I right?
Can anyone give me a simple example?

Regards,
Philippe

Tue, 30 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Debugging a DLL with PB DLL6?
I would give u an example but u cant say thanks or something for the
last.......
so you should be more nice and you get help
Michael Neitzel, Windows NT Filesystem Developer

Quote:

>--
>Hi all,

>It seems that when we want to create a DLL, we need first to create an EXE
>file in order to be able to debug it?
>Then we have to change Libmain to PBMAIN

Tue, 30 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Debugging a DLL with PB DLL6?

Quote:

> --
> Hi all,

> It seems that when we want to create a DLL, we need first to create an EXE
> file in order to be able to debug it?
> Then we have to change Libmain to PBMAIN

> Am I right?
> Can anyone give me a simple example?

Phillipe, look in the \Samples directory in your PBDLL install :)
The samples are refreshingly educational. They taught me a lot.

Use the template from \Samples\DLL, then don't forget to export
the functions aliased to the mixed case name you want.

- Troy King

Tue, 30 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Debugging a DLL with PB DLL6?
Michael,
Don't react like this so promptly !! Posting another mail doesn't mean you
don't care of the replies you had.
I always thank everybody (Go to the powerbasic Forum and see by yourself)
I consider newsgroups as the best thing of the internet, I improved quickly
my skills in VB6 like this, thanks to their contributors!

My apologizes, You belong to one of these

When you're a beginner, it take so much effort to understand, then I browsed
everywhere and I  also considered your interesting reply. (I tried it but
for the time being I don't know how to use it).

I also respond  like you as often as I can to other posts to help people,
for example in Visual Basic 6 forums.

Yes Michael, If you don't mind sending your example, I'll really
appreciate!!
My apologizes once again

Rgds,
Philippe

Quote:
> I would give u an example but u cant say thanks or something for the
> last.......
> so you should be more nice and you get help
> Michael Neitzel, Windows NT Filesystem Developer

> >--
> >Hi all,

> >It seems that when we want to create a DLL, we need first to create an
EXE
> >file in order to be able to debug it?
> >Then we have to change Libmain to PBMAIN

Tue, 30 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Debugging a DLL with PB DLL6?
On Fri, 12 Nov 1999 14:16:17 -0000, "Michael Neitzel"

Quote:

>I would give u an example but u cant say thanks or something for the
>last.......
>so you should be more nice and you get help

To reply or not with "thanks" is a debatable matter. Surely, it is
good to thank those who have helped you, but it also means increasing
the traffic in the group for those who are not concerned at all. My
idea is that when the threading has gone a long way, you may post a
"thanks" message, as an end-it-up. If not so, then better e-mail your
thanks privately. But the latter is not always possible, as some do
not give a valid e-mail address.

Tue, 30 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Debugging a DLL with PB DLL6?
Well, DLL's are used by EXE files. How else are you supposed to test and
debug?

I use PB/CC to write the EXE file:

FUNCTION PBMain  AS LONG
 CALL "TheDLL" (parm1, parm2..)
 PRINT (result1, result2,..)
END FUNCTION

If you don't have PB/CC, just modify the "Hello" example, using the TextOut,
DrawText or MsgBox functions for result printing.

Not too hard, is it?
--
Michael Mattias
Tal Systems

Quote:

>It seems that when we want to create a DLL, we need first to create an EXE
>file in order to be able to debug it?
>Then we have to change Libmain to PBMAIN

>Am I right?

Tue, 30 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Debugging a DLL with PB DLL6?
I begin to create the DLL first, but I always make mistakes:(((
Then I need to know if it's OK, therefore I use the debugg button in the
tool bar for this.
And several times, I had a message telling me that my code had to be an EXE
in order to debug it.
That's why I thought it may be preferable to make the DLL as an EXE first
and when it's OK, convert it to a DLL.
Afterward, I can concentrate to code the real EXE.

Thanks for your tips
I'll have a look to the "Hello" example

Phil

Quote:
> Well, DLL's are used by EXE files. How else are you supposed to test and
> debug?

> I use PB/CC to write the EXE file:

> FUNCTION PBMain  AS LONG
>  CALL "TheDLL" (parm1, parm2..)
>  PRINT (result1, result2,..)
> END FUNCTION

> If you don't have PB/CC, just modify the "Hello" example, using the
TextOut,
> DrawText or MsgBox functions for result printing.

> Not too hard, is it?
> --
> Michael Mattias
> Tal Systems
> Racine WI USA
> The views and opinions expressed herein are my own.
> As I am self-employed, they also express the views of my employer.

Tue, 30 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. crash course PB/DLL6 and resource forms

2. email enable PB/DLL-PB/CC using Outlook

3. SQL, ADO/OLE-DB programming in PB/DLL and PB/CC

4. animated characters, speech input/output in PB/DLL and PB/CC

5. Announcing the JazzAge COM Wizard for PB/DLL and PB/CC

6. Info on new PB/CC and PB/DLL

7. TCPADDR for PB/DLL & PB/CC

8. MX Lookup with PB/CC or PB/DLL

9. debug Python interpreter work with the debug swig dll

10. PB/DLL 6.0 - PBEDIT Bug found...

11. PB DLL 5.0 and $INCLUDE

12. Fonts in dialog boxes (PB/DLL 1.5)