PB and the Registry
Author Message
 PB and the Registry

Hello...

I am a programmer from the DOS days, and my preferred compiled was
PDS 7.1, only because of the libraries available for it.  As I got more into
incorporating custom-written libraries with ASM routines, I evaluated PB 3.0
and
loved it.  I think Bob Zale's product is a very good one.

Now, I haven't programmed in any "visual" programming language for Windows,
but
I have a need to read the registry of some values (ie: video card, network
card, hard drive, RAM, logonname, and computername) and dump them to a
database (Access, to be precise).  As users log onto the school's network,
we want to throw their hardware info into a database.

Is there any hope that I can do this with Power Basic 3.0?

Thanks!

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:13:56 GMT
 PB and the Registry

Quote:
> Hello...

> I am a programmer from the DOS days, and my preferred compiled was
> PDS 7.1, only because of the libraries available for it.  As I got more into
> incorporating custom-written libraries with ASM routines, I evaluated PB 3.0
> and
> loved it.  I think Bob Zale's product is a very good one.

> Now, I haven't programmed in any "visual" programming language for Windows,
> but
> I have a need to read the registry of some values (ie: video card, network
> card, hard drive, RAM, logonname, and computername) and dump them to a
> database (Access, to be precise).  As users log onto the school's network,
> we want to throw their hardware info into a database.

> Is there any hope that I can do this with Power Basic 3.0?

If you are running in Windows 95/98/ME, then technically the answer is
"yes".  O'Reilly has published a book on the Registry (I don't remember
the name off the top of my head) which has some C/ASM code for accessing
the registry from a DOS application through an undocumented interrupt
available in Windows 95/98/ME (it doesn't work in Windows NT/2000/XP).

You can always SHELL to the Windows registry tool and use scripts to
perform what you need.

--Dave

Sat, 03 Jan 2004 02:01:15 GMT

1. PB 3.2.PB/Vision 2.0 Timerinstallcode.Shared Arrays

2. MX Lookup with PB/CC or PB/DLL

3. TCPADDR for PB/DLL & PB/CC

4. Info on new PB/CC and PB/DLL

5. Announcing the JazzAge COM Wizard for PB/DLL and PB/CC

6. animated characters, speech input/output in PB/DLL and PB/CC

7. email enable PB/DLL-PB/CC using Outlook

8. SQL, ADO/OLE-DB programming in PB/DLL and PB/CC

9. PB/DLL question: pb-function that returns a record... HOW?

10. new JA 'CE' for PB/DLL, PB/CC OpenBeta3

11. Generic Server now includes distributed ST and RMI registry, tuple spaces and web server

12. Training Registry - Directory of Computer Programming training resources