Running VB application from network server.
Author Message
 Running VB application from network server.

I would like to run a Visual Basic application that access database entirely
from the network server (without installing anything at the client
computer)...

How would I go about doing the above task?

Thank you.
Kool

Tue, 11 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Running VB application from network server.
I don't believe that you can.  However, once an application is installed on
the workstation the exe may be moved over to the server and run from there.
Windows needs the various DLLs on the workstation.
Have you a reason for needing the particular setup?
Morke

Quote:

>I would like to run a Visual Basic application that access database
entirely
>from the network server (without installing anything at the client
>computer)...

>How would I go about doing the above task?

>Thank you.
>Kool

Thu, 04 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Running VB application from network server.

Quote:

> I don't believe that you can.  However, once an application is installed on
> the workstation the exe may be moved over to the server and run from there.
> Windows needs the various DLLs on the workstation.
> Have you a reason for needing the particular setup?
> Morke

> >I would like to run a Visual Basic application that access database
> entirely
> >from the network server (without installing anything at the client
> >computer)...

> >How would I go about doing the above task?

With apologies for the off-topic nature of the following in a REALbasic
forum....

Well, if the network server is an NT server, and the database is SQL
compliant, install the Internet Information Server from the NT 4.0
option pack CD, apply NT Service Pack 5 to fix all the IIS security
issues, then write your application using VB-Scripted Active Server
Pages, which can run within the IIS ASP subsystem, and can easily access
an SQL database.

The "App" then becomes an Intranet/Internet application, accessed from
your clients irrespective of platform via a web browser.

We do the identical thing at work with a Human Resources system written
in-house which is used to store the personnel details of the 100,000 or
so employees in an SQL Server database.  The SQL server database is
extracted from a mainframe DB2 database nightly, and any staff details
that change in the SQL Server extract are uploaded back into the DB2
database immediately prior to the extract process.

Anyway that's somewhat off-topic so please address any complaints or
comments to me via Email (the address in this one is valid).

Paul

--
http://www.solarius.com/dvp/

Wed, 10 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Running VB application from network server.

2. Clarion 4 applications on Network Server

3. Running Clipper application in win 95 network

4. Running LabView Application from Network

5. Running RealBasic Application after Logout on OS-X Server

6. running clipper application in directory shared on W2k Server

7. Running LabVIEW applications on Windows Terminal Server

8. SOS-running fortran applications on windows 2000 server

9. Cobol application running on NT4 server & clients

10. PHP application running on different server

11. Problem running tcl/tk application while other XWindows apps running

12. Help: Standalone application does not run (Error #-10007), but development application does