Power Basic CC vs Power Basic for DOS
Author Message
 Power Basic CC vs Power Basic for DOS

Ciao,

I shall convert many  basic sources (math-oriented) from  VMS system (VAX
Basic) to WIN32.

The above mentioned programs are full of statements like:

PRINT USING  /  INPUT

The PBDOS syntax include the above statements, but the PBCC ?

The question is : PBCC (native win32 bin) or PBDOS (well known and
corresponding syntax)  ?

Thanks in advance,

P.Fontana

Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:15:42 GMT
 Power Basic CC vs Power Basic for DOS

Quote:
> Ciao,

> I shall convert many  basic sources (math-oriented) from  VMS system (VAX
> Basic) to WIN32.

> The above mentioned programs are full of statements like:

> PRINT USING  /  INPUT

> The PBDOS syntax include the above statements, but the PBCC ?

> The question is : PBCC (native win32 bin) or PBDOS (well known and
> corresponding syntax)  ?

PB/CC can use LINE INPUT instead of INPUT;and Dave Navarro posted on the PB
web site a really nifty replacement for PRINT USING for PB/Windows. (Free).

Since the PB/DOS syntax is not going to be flat-out compatible with the VAX
BASIC syntax anyway, you may just want to bite the bullet and convert to
PB/Windows (PB/CC) and have the Win32 API and the other benefits of Win/32
at your disposal when you are done.

One thing you may want to look at: PB/DLL. With the advent of the Dynamic
Dialog Tools (DDT), you may be able to replace INPUT and PRINT with a GUI
interface a lot easier than you may have thought, while leaving the math
code essentially untouched.

DOS/VAX  BASIC:
Setup:
 COLOR ...
 LOCATE...
DoIt:
 INPUT  x
 (math)
 PRINT Y

PB DDT:
 Setup:
  DIALOG NEW ...
  CONTROL ADD...
  DIALOG SHOW ...

INPUT and PRINT after the dialog box is built:
  CONTROL GET TEXT control-id [INPUT]
  (math)
  CONTROL SET TEXT control-id [PRINT]

You can make a whole program out of a single DDT dialog (I have) , and never
need to write a message-handler.

Just a thought...

(Another thought: Engage a consultant; someone like, say, me) (shameless
adverti{*filter*}t)

--
Michael C. Mattias
Tal Systems

Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:19:43 GMT

1. Power Basic for Linux

2. Power Basic DLL 6.0

3. Isam and Power-basic

4. Power Basic and DDE

5. Power B.A.S.I.C newcomer

6. Power Basic List server

7. Power BASIC "ARRAY" commands

8. Comparaciones entre Smalltalk, Power Buider y Visual Basic

9. How mixed fortran power station 4.0 with visual basic

10. BASIC VS. TURBO-BASIC

11. Power Estimation in Design Power

12. Looking for information about power estimation and low power design