Threads, is it possilble? 
Author Message
 Threads, is it possilble?

Quote:

>I'm looking at possibly purchasing PBDLL if it can support threads and must
>be used with VB6? My project requires multithreads and use VB6 to build my
>application. If so, how can I get a demo of this to prove out my need before
>I purchase it? Also, how can you do the threads in PBDLL and initiate the
>threads from within VB6?

Threads are possible -- see the main page at http://www.*-*-*.com/ ,
there is a link to some multi-threading information.

PB/DLL can create complete, stand-alone applications, but also generate
standard 32-bits windows DLL's -- you can use these with any VB version,
including 6.0

There is no PB/DLL demo available -- but they do offer a complete refund
on snail mailed copies (excluding shipping costs) in case it is not what
you had hoped it would be..

--
Marc van den Dikkenberg
--
The powerbasic Archives (US) -- http://www.*-*-*.com/
The PowerBASIC Archives (EU) -- http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~excel/pb.html
All BASIC Code Archives (EU) -- http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~excel/pbabc.html



Sun, 21 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Threads, is it possilble?
I'm looking at possibly purchasing PBDLL if it can support threads and must
be used with VB6? My project requires multithreads and use VB6 to build my
application. If so, how can I get a demo of this to prove out my need before
I purchase it? Also, how can you do the threads in PBDLL and initiate the
threads from within VB6?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff
please reply email.



Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Threads, is it possilble?
Maybe marc's suggestion might work for VB, i don't know.

I did threads myself from within VB using a PB dll, it crashes.
??

Quote:

>I'm looking at possibly purchasing PBDLL if it can support threads and must
>be used with VB6? My project requires multithreads and use VB6 to build my
>application. If so, how can I get a demo of this to prove out my need
before
>I purchase it? Also, how can you do the threads in PBDLL and initiate the
>threads from within VB6?

>Your help is much appreciated.

>Thanks, Jeff
>please reply email.



Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Threads, is it possilble?
Thanks for the info! I think your probably right on being that PBDLL would
not work correctly with VB6 doing threads.



Quote:
> Maybe marc's suggestion might work for VB, i don't know.

> I did threads myself from within VB using a PB dll, it crashes.
> ??


> >I'm looking at possibly purchasing PBDLL if it can support threads and
must
> >be used with VB6? My project requires multithreads and use VB6 to build
my
> >application. If so, how can I get a demo of this to prove out my need
> before
> >I purchase it? Also, how can you do the threads in PBDLL and initiate the
> >threads from within VB6?

> >Your help is much appreciated.

> >Thanks, Jeff
> >please reply email.



Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Threads, is it possilble?
Folks, many people have got multithreading working with VB...
multithreading is one of the advantages of creating DLL's with
PowerBASIC for use in VB.

There are a set of articles on this very subject, which I'll see if I
can get posted back on the web site.

Quote:

>> I did threads myself from within VB using a PB dll, it crashes.

EB, anyone can write an app that crashes... you dont need PB/DLL to do
that.   8-)

Seriously, you simply can NOT go around making such a claim without
proof that it does not work.    All your statement does is spread
mis-information, and it reflects poorly on your ability as a
programmer.

For those interested in writing super fast DLL's for use with VB, keep
an eye on our seb site, where the articles should reappear soon.

Lance
PowerBASIC Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerBASIC, Inc.      | 800-780-7707 Sales | "We put the Power in Basic!"
316 Mid Valley Center | 831-659-8000 Voice | http://www.powerbasic.com



Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Threads, is it possilble?
Sorry, the messages states clear that i was speaking for myself.
It even points to another message.

I don't mean it's not possible, sure it is, there are VB sources on the
internet wich can do that (to my knowledge)
I simply stated that I tried it resulting in a crash, but who am I?

Quote:
>EB, anyone can write an app that crashes... you dont need PB/DLL to do
>that.   8-)

(Please, don't do this..)

Regards,

Quote:

>Folks, many people have got multithreading working with VB...
>multithreading is one of the advantages of creating DLL's with
>PowerBASIC for use in VB.

>There are a set of articles on this very subject, which I'll see if I
>can get posted back on the web site.


>>> I did threads myself from within VB using a PB dll, it crashes.

>EB, anyone can write an app that crashes... you dont need PB/DLL to do
>that.   8-)

>Seriously, you simply can NOT go around making such a claim without
>proof that it does not work.    All your statement does is spread
>mis-information, and it reflects poorly on your ability as a
>programmer.

>For those interested in writing super fast DLL's for use with VB, keep
>an eye on our seb site, where the articles should reappear soon.

>Lance
>PowerBASIC Support

>-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>PowerBASIC, Inc.      | 800-780-7707 Sales | "We put the Power in Basic!"
>316 Mid Valley Center | 831-659-8000 Voice | http://www.powerbasic.com




Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Threads, is it possilble?

Quote:
>Folks, many people have got multithreading working with VB...
>multithreading is one of the advantages of creating DLL's with
>PowerBASIC for use in VB.

Maybe I'm out of league here, but I've compiled a DLL for a friend based on
the SMTP sample.And to me this seem to perfectly well work 'threaded'. I
have no problems calling this DLL from two different events in VB 6, and
make the first send a mail while I 'do it again' with the other event.


Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Threads, is it possilble?
I forgot to mention that i was calling an procedure from within the DLL back
to VB.

VB > thread > DLL > back to VB using addressof

After the DLL's returns it goes bad, it was simply a test for me.

Regards,

Quote:

>>Folks, many people have got multithreading working with VB...
>>multithreading is one of the advantages of creating DLL's with
>>PowerBASIC for use in VB.

>Maybe I'm out of league here, but I've compiled a DLL for a friend based on
>the SMTP sample.And to me this seem to perfectly well work 'threaded'. I
>have no problems calling this DLL from two different events in VB 6, and
>make the first send a mail while I 'do it again' with the other event.



Tue, 23 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Threads, is it possilble?
E.B,


Quote:
>I forgot to mention that i was calling an procedure from within the DLL back
>to VB.
>VB > thread > DLL > back to VB using addressof
>After the DLL's returns it goes bad, it was simply a test for me.

This is a problem because VB is not reenterant!  The problem in this
instance is VB, *not* PowerBASIC.

PowerBASIC's own runtime libary (which in measured in Kb rather than
Mb) is thread-safe, and writing reenterent code is not too difficult
with moderate planning.  

However, when trying to call VB code from a DLL, you'll have big
problems.  As long as you dont try to use VB in this type of
"callback" arrangement, you should be ok.

As soon as Dave gets the multi-threading with VB articles back on the
web site, I'll post a message here for those interested.

Lance
PowerBASIC Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerBASIC, Inc.      | 800-780-7707 Sales | "We put the Power in Basic!"
316 Mid Valley Center | 831-659-8000 Voice | http://www.powerbasic.com



Tue, 23 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Threads, is it possilble?
Ok folks, the multi-threading articles are now back on our web site.
You can access the 1st one directly at
http://www.powerbasic.com/support/technote/multithreading1.html

There are 3 in the series, and the code is available for downloading
from a link within article 3.

(BTW, Thanks Dave!)

Quote:
>As soon as Dave gets the multi-threading with VB articles back on the
>web site, I'll post a message here for those interested.

Lance
PowerBASIC Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerBASIC, Inc.      | 800-780-7707 Sales | "We put the Power in Basic!"
316 Mid Valley Center | 831-659-8000 Voice | http://www.powerbasic.com



Thu, 25 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 10 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Threads creating threads creating threads...

2. thread, threading, mutex modules and non-threading interpreters

3. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

4. Non-threaded function in a threaded recursion?

5. Thread.new vs. Thread.start

6. Thread#kill doesn't kill processes inside a thread

7. meditations on threads and thread safety

8. Tkinter and thread (or thread and Tkinter...)

9. threading.Thread.join(timeout=...) considered unreliable

10. Cygwin Python -- Thread or not to thread...

11. Threads in Python version 1.5, thread doesn't start until calling process dies

12. pydoc req thread; readline req NO thread

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software