Suggestion for PB/nn next generation
Author Message
 Suggestion for PB/nn next generation

Hi,

  Obviously this is aimed at RZ but I'd like to open a discussion on the topic
too.

  For years those of us that program in languages OTHER than English have had
to create/use our own versions of UCASE and LCASE. This is no great task, even
when attacked in ASM, but it does make coding for library routines a bit of a
mess having to have one copy for each language.

  What I propose, if it is possible, RZ, is for you to give us a 128 character
window into the UCASE/LCASE strings used in the PB compilers. This would allow
us to use the native functions regardless of which language we were working
in. The 128 characters mentioned would support only the 'back half' of the
ASCii sets wherein the non-English characters reside.

  What'ch'think?

   ____    _    ____      ____  _____
  |  _ \  / \  / ___) __ | ___)(_   _) Don Schullian

  |____//_/ \_\(____/\__/|_|     |_|    www.DASoftVSS.com
  ___________________________________   www.basicguru.com
      Vertical Software Solutions

Mon, 05 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Suggestion for PB/nn next generation
In Win32, there are numerous functions that use LOCALE's to handle
multiple language/character functions... Even the humble LISTBOX can
use a LOCALE for it's sorting.

Have you looked at those (obviously PB/DOS can't use these though).

Quote:

>Hi,

>  Obviously this is aimed at RZ but I'd like to open a discussion on the topic
>too.

>  For years those of us that program in languages OTHER than English have had
>to create/use our own versions of UCASE and LCASE. This is no great task, even
>when attacked in ASM, but it does make coding for library routines a bit of a
>mess having to have one copy for each language.

>  What I propose, if it is possible, RZ, is for you to give us a 128 character
>window into the UCASE/LCASE strings used in the PB compilers. This would allow
>us to use the native functions regardless of which language we were working
>in. The 128 characters mentioned would support only the 'back half' of the
>ASCii sets wherein the non-English characters reside.

>  What'ch'think?

>   ____    _    ____      ____  _____
>  |  _ \  / \  / ___) __ | ___)(_   _) Don Schullian

>  |____//_/ \_\(____/\__/|_|     |_|    www.DASoftVSS.com
>  ___________________________________   www.basicguru.com
>      Vertical Software Solutions

Lance
powerbasic Support

Wed, 07 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Suggestion for PB/nn next generation

Quote:

>In Win32, there are numerous functions that use LOCALE's to handle
>multiple language/character functions... Even the humble LISTBOX can
>use a LOCALE for it's sorting.

>Have you looked at those (obviously PB/DOS can't use these though).

You're saying that UCASE and LCASE use LOCALEs? How?

   ____    _    ____      ____  _____
  |  _ \  / \  / ___) __ | ___)(_   _) Don Schullian

  |____//_/ \_\(____/\__/|_|     |_|    www.DASoftVSS.com
  ___________________________________   www.basicguru.com
      Vertical Software Solutions

Thu, 08 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Suggestion for PB/nn next generation
Don,

Windows has two built-in functions for converting strings to uppercase or
lowercase based on the local language settings:

CharUpperBuff()
CharLowerBuff()

Here's a PB/CC example for CharUpperBuff()

DECLARE FUNCTION CharUpperBuff LIB "USER32.DLL" ALIAS "CharUpperBuffA" (lpsz
AS ASCIIZ, BYVAL cchLength AS LONG) AS LONG

FUNCTION PbMain() AS LONG

  s$ = COMMAND$
  CharUpperBuff BYVAL STRPTR(s$), LEN(s$)
  PRINT s$

END FUNCTION

PowerBASIC doesn't use them because they're slow and PowerBASIC's all about
speed.  We're considering changing that in the future, but for now, you'll
have to call the API yourself.

--Dave

Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Suggestion for PB/nn next generation
Well , i had some troubles/differences with uppercase in PB/DLL20.
This might be subject to test further, i didn't need it at this time but
there's a difference between VB and PB.

(I think it was ? ( chr$(137) ) and the uppercase should be the same but
just capital)

Quote:

>Don,

>Windows has two built-in functions for converting strings to uppercase or
>lowercase based on the local language settings:

>CharUpperBuff()
>CharLowerBuff()

>Here's a PB/CC example for CharUpperBuff()

>DECLARE FUNCTION CharUpperBuff LIB "USER32.DLL" ALIAS "CharUpperBuffA"
(lpsz
>AS ASCIIZ, BYVAL cchLength AS LONG) AS LONG

>FUNCTION PbMain() AS LONG

>  s$ = COMMAND$
>  CharUpperBuff BYVAL STRPTR(s$), LEN(s$)
>  PRINT s$

>END FUNCTION

>PowerBASIC doesn't use them because they're slow and PowerBASIC's all about
>speed.  We're considering changing that in the future, but for now, you'll
>have to call the API yourself.

>--Dave

Thu, 15 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. ANNOUNCE: new version NN/NN-TK newsreader (15.2)

2. New version NN-TK (and NN) released

3. New version NN-TK/NN

4. New version of nn-tk (and nn)

5. pb/cc 2.11 FORMAT$ question / suggestion

6. A suggestion for 32bit PB

7. Next generation virtual OS written in Smalltalk

8. Classic Blend - Next Generation Beta Release Updated

9. Classic Blend Next Generation Beta Available

10. Jigsaw - Next Generation Smalltalk products from ParcPlace-Digitalk

11. Revised CFP: OOPSLA'92 Workshop: Languages, The Next Generation

12. LOGO-L> Re: Next Generation in 3D