file i/o in firstBasic?
Author Message
 file i/o in firstBasic?

Can anyone point to a general introduction to file i/o in
powerbasic/firstBasic?  Is there one on the web?

How does it compare to GW-Basic, QBasic, QuickBasic, and Visual Basic (those
are the ones I'm familiar with)?

What help topics should I look for in the editor?  Open, Print, Print Using?

Does it support true random access?  Sequential?

Any suggestions on reading .ini files?

Thanks very much.

Sun, 24 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 file i/o in firstBasic?
The printed manual which shipped with FirstBASIC when it was PowerBASIC 2.1
has an excellent summary section on this topic. That section remains in PB's
DOS compilers up through the current version (3.5). (Sadly, there are no
such sections on any topic in any of the PB/Windows compilers).

As far as disk I-O capabilities, PB/DOS 2.1 has all the options (sequential,
random and binary (stream)) in today's (and yesterday's) Microsoft-brand
BASICs, so any good tutorial on disk I-O in any MS or PB BASIC should fit
the bill.

of the older manuals "in the warehouse" and available for purchase.

--
Michael Mattias
Tal Systems

Quote:
>Can anyone point to a general introduction to file i/o in
>PowerBasic/firstBasic?  Is there one on the web?

Mon, 25 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 file i/o in firstBasic?
Thanks very much for the info.

Quote:
> The printed manual which shipped with FirstBASIC when it was PowerBASIC
2.1
> has an excellent summary section on this topic. That section remains in
PB's
> DOS compilers up through the current version (3.5). (Sadly, there are no
> such sections on any topic in any of the PB/Windows compilers).

> As far as disk I-O capabilities, PB/DOS 2.1 has all the options
(sequential,
> random and binary (stream)) in today's (and yesterday's) Microsoft-brand
> BASICs, so any good tutorial on disk I-O in any MS or PB BASIC should fit
> the bill.

any
> of the older manuals "in the warehouse" and available for purchase.

> --
> Michael Mattias
> Tal Systems
> Racine WI USA
> The views and opinions expressed herein are my own.
> As I am self-employed, they also express the views of my employer.

> >Can anyone point to a general introduction to file i/o in
> >PowerBasic/firstBasic?  Is there one on the web?

Mon, 25 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 file i/o in firstBasic?

Quote:
> Can anyone point to a general introduction to file i/o in
> PowerBasic/firstBasic?  Is there one on the web?

> How does it compare to GW-Basic, QBasic, QuickBasic, and Visual Basic
> (those are the ones I'm familiar with)?

PowerBASIC and FirstBasic share a common background with the
Microsoft BASIC products. In particular, the file handling is almost
identical, and will be familiar to you.

Quote:
> What help topics should I look for in the editor?  Open, Print, Print
> Using?

OPEN, PRINT#, CLOSE, GET, PUT, ...all the usual BASIC commands.

Quote:
> Does it support true random access?  Sequential?

Yes.

Quote:
> Any suggestions on reading .ini files?

They're simple text files, with a minimum of formatting, and easy enough
to process. If you have specific questions on the subject, ask away.

Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. FirstBasic Help file

2. Registering FirstBasic

3. FirstBasic will it be discontinued?

4. Locate() and Screen() in FirstBasic?

5. shell() in FirstBasic?

6. Fast shareware compiler - FirstBASIC

7. BSAVE in FirstBasic Screen 13

8. File Conversion with File Manager on Huge files

9. DOS File Lookup - just the file name, not the path AND file name

10. How can I know the .EXE file name, file date, file size

11. files, temp files, and file-like objects

12. (VA 4.02b) using long file names for Envy file attachments