Microsoft takes legal action against pirates... (Was: downloading Quickbasic)
Author Message
 Microsoft takes legal action against pirates... (Was: downloading Quickbasic)

From the August 3 edition of "Microsoft: This Week"
<snip>
Microsoft Battles Consumer Fraud on the Internet
http://www.*-*-*.com/
Microsoft has taken action against more than 1,300 Internet sites
around the world for the alleged distribution of illegal Microsoft
software
</snip>

Interesting...

Now... who was (very recently) saying in this newgroup that Microsoft
never does anything about these problems?  Just because you don't
always hear about it does not mean it is not happening.

Lance
powerbasic Support

316 Mid Valley Center | 831-659-8000 Voice | http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 21 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft takes legal action against pirates... (Was: downloading Quickbasic)
Would that "legal action" be a letter from a MS lawyer telling
the web site to "cease and desist" or would that action be a
court fileing asking for a cease and desist order?
Yawn, yawn, wake me up when MS hires a hit squad, cause I don't
want to miss the fun.
Quote:

> > From the August 3 edition of "Microsoft: This Week"
> > <snip>
> > Microsoft Battles Consumer Fraud on the Internet
> > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2000/aug00/08-01piracy.asp
> > Microsoft has taken action against more than 1,300 Internet sites
> > around the world for the alleged distribution of illegal Microsoft
> > software
> > </snip>

> > Interesting...

> > Now... who was (very recently) saying in this newgroup that Microsoft
> > never does anything about these problems?  Just because you don't
> > always hear about it does not mean it is not happening.

> YES! YES! YES!

> I AM NOT ALONE!

> MCM
> (copyright material producer, clearly biased but damn proud of it!)

Tue, 21 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft takes legal action against pirates... (Was: downloading Quickbasic)

Quote:
> From the August 3 edition of "Microsoft: This Week"
> <snip>
> Microsoft Battles Consumer Fraud on the Internet
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2000/aug00/08-01piracy.asp
> Microsoft has taken action against more than 1,300 Internet sites
> around the world for the alleged distribution of illegal Microsoft
> software
> </snip>

> Interesting...

> Now... who was (very recently) saying in this newgroup that Microsoft
> never does anything about these problems?  Just because you don't
> always hear about it does not mean it is not happening.

> Lance
> PowerBASIC Support

> PowerBASIC, Inc.      | 800-780-7707 Sales | "We put the Power in Basic!"
> 316 Mid Valley Center | 831-659-8000 Voice | http://www.powerbasic.com

While I am an ardent supporter of the GPL, I respect copyrights no matter
how misguided, immoral, and counterproductive they are.

--
Regards,
Kurt Weber

ROW Software and Web Design
http://www.rowsw.com

Tue, 21 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft takes legal action against pirates... (Was: downloading Quickbasic)

Quote:
> From the August 3 edition of "Microsoft: This Week"
> <snip>
> Microsoft Battles Consumer Fraud on the Internet
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2000/aug00/08-01piracy.asp
> Microsoft has taken action against more than 1,300 Internet sites
> around the world for the alleged distribution of illegal Microsoft
> software
> </snip>

> Interesting...

> Now... who was (very recently) saying in this newgroup that Microsoft
> never does anything about these problems?  Just because you don't
> always hear about it does not mean it is not happening.

YES! YES! YES!

I AM NOT ALONE!

MCM
(copyright material producer, clearly biased but damn proud of it!)

Wed, 22 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft takes legal action against pirates... (Was: downloading Quickbasic)

Quote:

> > From the August 3 edition of "Microsoft: This Week"
> > <snip>
> > Microsoft Battles Consumer Fraud on the Internet
> > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2000/aug00/08-01piracy.asp
> > Microsoft has taken action against more than 1,300 Internet sites
> > around the world for the alleged distribution of illegal Microsoft
> > software
> > </snip>

> > Interesting...

> > Now... who was (very recently) saying in this newgroup that Microsoft
> > never does anything about these problems?  Just because you don't
> > always hear about it does not mean it is not happening.

> > Lance
> > PowerBASIC Support

> > PowerBASIC, Inc.      | 800-780-7707 Sales | "We put the Power in Basic!"
> > 316 Mid Valley Center | 831-659-8000 Voice | http://www.powerbasic.com

> While I am an ardent supporter of the GPL, I respect copyrights no matter
> how misguided, immoral, and counterproductive they are.

> --
> Regards,
> Kurt Weber

> ROW Software and Web Design
> http://www.rowsw.com

Yeah, respecting the law is always a good start.

LB

Wed, 22 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft takes legal action against pirates... (Was: downloading Quickbasic)

Well I never gave in to temptation and never used an unlicensed QuickBasic,
but really its a disservice to society that the OS does not include a
current technology text-mode (console) Basic. Because that is the historical
beginnings of home computers. QBasic is "old".

Quote:

> > From the August 3 edition of "Microsoft: This Week"
> > <snip>
> > Microsoft Battles Consumer Fraud on the Internet
> > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2000/aug00/08-01piracy.asp
> > Microsoft has taken action against more than 1,300 Internet sites
> > around the world for the alleged distribution of illegal Microsoft
> > software
> > </snip>

> > Interesting...

> > Now... who was (very recently) saying in this newgroup that Microsoft
> > never does anything about these problems?  Just because you don't
> > always hear about it does not mean it is not happening.

> YES! YES! YES!

> I AM NOT ALONE!

> MCM
> (copyright material producer, clearly biased but damn proud of it!)

Wed, 22 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft takes legal action against pirates... (Was: downloading Quickbasic)

Okay, there are two issues:

What should be included in the OS to facilitate societies use of the
computer?

and

What should not be included in the OS so as to protect competitors from
monopoly leverage?

Quote:

> Well I never gave in to temptation and never used an unlicensed
QuickBasic,
> but really its a disservice to society that the OS does not include a
> current technology text-mode (console) Basic. Because that is the
historical
> beginnings of home computers. QBasic is "old".

Wed, 22 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft takes legal action against pirates... (Was: downloading Quickbasic)

Quote:

> Okay, there are two issues:

> What should be included in the OS to facilitate societies use of the
> computer?

> and

> What should not be included in the OS so as to protect competitors from
> monopoly leverage?

"What should be included" is the stuff of which entrepreneurs are made.

When you figure it out and get it to market, you'll be rich.

Bill Gates figured it out; he got rich. Larry Ellison figured it out; he got
rich. Donald rump figured it out; he got rich.  Anyone see a pattern
here...?

MCM

Wed, 22 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft takes legal action against pirates... (Was: downloading Quickbasic)

Well as an application developer I don't want things included in the OS, but
that's a bias. So I should blindly favor the second issue. But the concern
from a consumer point-of-view are things being taken out of the OS.  (For
example: IE 4.0 included Front Pages Express while IE 5.0 does not include
Front Page Express.). So again its competitor point-of-view and consumer
point-of-view as two issues.

But now who was it that FIRST developed an OS that worked like an
application? Howard Hughes?

Quote:

> > Okay, there are two issues:

> > What should be included in the OS to facilitate societies use of the
> > computer?

> > and

> > What should not be included in the OS so as to protect competitors from
> > monopoly leverage?

> "What should be included" is the stuff of which entrepreneurs are made.

> When you figure it out and get it to market, you'll be rich.

> Bill Gates figured it out; he got rich. Larry Ellison figured it out; he
got
> rich. Donald rump figured it out; he got rich.  Anyone see a pattern
> here...?

> MCM

Wed, 22 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft takes legal action against pirates... (Was: downloading Quickbasic)

Of course, I was meaning whoever at Apple Computer.

But consider this: Many of the Silicon Valley computer companies were
venture capital funding going to young Harvard business school graduates (or
dropouts). Business school graduates forming technology companies might not
be so inspiring to programmers in a programming forum. One well known
exception could be Intel where the venture capital funding went to
upper-level academic-ans (ugh). And there are a lot of bio-tech companies
where the venture capital funding went to academeic-ians. So I would like
some examples of major technology companies that were not created by
business school graduates and not created by upper-level academic-ans.

Quote:

> >But now who was it that FIRST developed an OS that worked like an
> >application? Howard Hughes?

> Some time back I read that Niklaus Wirth designed something called
> "Oberon".  IIRC it was described as an operating system designed to
> work like an application.

> Ron  n1zhi

Wed, 22 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft takes legal action against pirates... (Was: downloading Quickbasic)

Quote:

>But now who was it that FIRST developed an OS that worked like an
>application? Howard Hughes?

Some time back I read that Niklaus Wirth designed something called
"Oberon".  IIRC it was described as an operating system designed to
work like an application.

Ron  n1zhi

Thu, 23 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft takes legal action against pirates... (Was: downloading Quickbasic)

Quote:

>Of course, I was meaning whoever at Apple Computer.

>But consider this: Many of the Silicon Valley computer companies were
>venture capital funding going to young Harvard business school graduates (or
>dropouts). Business school graduates forming technology companies might not
>be so inspiring to programmers in a programming forum. One well known
>exception could be Intel where the venture capital funding went to
>upper-level academic-ans (ugh). And there are a lot of bio-tech companies
>where the venture capital funding went to academeic-ians. So I would like
>some examples of major technology companies that were not created by
>business school graduates and not created by upper-level academic-ans.

HP ?, Hughes
Quote:

>> >But now who was it that FIRST developed an OS that worked like an
>> >application? Howard Hughes?

>> Some time back I read that Niklaus Wirth designed something called
>> "Oberon".  IIRC it was described as an operating system designed to
>> work like an application.

>> Ron  n1zhi

Fri, 24 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft takes legal action against pirates... (Was: downloading Quickbasic)
I am pretty sure that QBasic was included primarily as a scripting
tool, and to continue the practice of including a BASIC with DOS.
I do not believe that Microsoft ever considered QBasic as a serious
development platform, or expected anyone else to think so.
--

Sun Valley Systems    http://www.sunvaley.com

Sat, 25 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft takes legal action against pirates... (Was: downloading Quickbasic)

Quote:

> Some time back I read that Niklaus Wirth designed something called
> "Oberon".  IIRC it was described as an operating system designed to
> work like an application.

From what I have seen of Oberon, it is essentially a subset of Modula.
--

Sun Valley Systems    http://www.sunvaley.com

Sat, 25 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft takes legal action against pirates... (Was: downloading Quickbasic)

Quote:
> I am pretty sure that QBasic was included primarily as a scripting
> tool, and to continue the practice of including a BASIC with DOS.
> I do not believe that Microsoft ever considered QBasic as a serious
> development platform, or expected anyone else to think so.

You're right. For example a SCREEN 24 command to use 1024x768 pixel with 256
colors or even TrueColor (24 bit) is still lacking :-( despite the VESA
interface (VBE BIOS extension) already exists since 10 years...

Or even a OPEN "com3:115200,N,8,1,IRQ11" AS 3 command...
Or a third example: The FILES command which still doesn't fill in the
retrieved directory's content into a string array...

Despite, for programming small projects with *low* hardware exhausting it's
still a nice language... :-)

                      Andreas

Sat, 25 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 100 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

 Relevant Pages

1. Taking an action based on closing a window

2. Microsoft recommends against MDI?

3. Microsoft is taking over the net!

4. Microsoft takes on ACT

5. Can Microsoft C takes 32 bit register

6. Microsoft sues Python over use of SPAM [Re: Legal issues]

7. I am looking MRDEBUG download web

8. Microsoft Power FORTRAN - download (newbie..)

9. Where can I Download Microsoft Fortran...

10. Virus in Microsoft Security Download?

11. I am not deaf, but am I mute?