Win95 long file names & PowerBasic
Author Message
 Win95 long file names & PowerBasic

Is there a way to replace Win95 long file names with their DOS
equivalents using powerbasic within Dos6.22?

I have a multi-boot setup, using System Commander, so that I can boot
into Dos6.22, Win3.11, or Win95. I also have two matching hard drives
on my system, so that I can make backups frequently with my own
PowerBasic backup program, conforming the backup physical drive to the
master drive.

The problem is that all my installed programs for the different
operating systems are in one partition. When I make backups, files
with long Win95 names are not handled properly.

I realize that I could use LFNBK.EXE under Win95 to temporarily
replace the long files names with 8.3 names, storing the long names in
a data file, then run my PowerBasic backup program under DOS6.22, and
then go back into Win95 and run LFNBK.EXE again, but I would prefer to
handle the whole process under Dos6.22 using PowerBasic.

Can it be done?

Mon, 01 Sep 2003 00:56:23 GMT
 Win95 long file names & PowerBasic
Quote:

> Is there a way to replace Win95 long file names with their DOS
> equivalents using PowerBasic within Dos6.22?

My guess is that it can't be done.  If you're running under Win95Dos, you
can access them through a DOS Interrupt that was added with that version, so
I would think that, given the interrupt is not present in 6.22, the
information cannot be accessed (unless you're able to get the actual sector
mapping of the drive and bypass DOS)

Lou
=======================
Lou Pizzuti (Luigj Picut)
http://www.arberesh.net
Kudo q? gjetet nj'Arb?resh,
Aty gjetet Arb?ria
=======================

Mon, 01 Sep 2003 05:44:08 GMT
 Win95 long file names & PowerBasic

Quote:
>Is there a way to replace Win95 long file names with their DOS
>equivalents using PowerBasic within Dos6.22?

>I have a multi-boot setup, using System Commander, so that I can boot
>into Dos6.22, Win3.11, or Win95. I also have two matching hard drives
>on my system, so that I can make backups frequently with my own
>PowerBasic backup program, conforming the backup physical drive to the
>master drive.

>The problem is that all my installed programs for the different
>operating systems are in one partition. When I make backups, files
>with long Win95 names are not handled properly.

>I realize that I could use LFNBK.EXE under Win95 to temporarily
>replace the long files names with 8.3 names, storing the long names in
>a data file, then run my PowerBasic backup program under DOS6.22, and
>then go back into Win95 and run LFNBK.EXE again, but I would prefer to
>handle the whole process under Dos6.22 using PowerBasic.

>Can it be done?

Well, I don't remember DOS 6.22 handling long file names.  Are you sure
that you are not running DOS 7?  That is what I used to get if I
restarted my Win95 machine in DOS mode.  If your DOS supports long file
names then I would try the Console Compiler.

--
ATB

Charles Kincaid

Mon, 01 Sep 2003 07:35:58 GMT
 Win95 long file names & PowerBasic

<snip>

Quote:
>Someone somewhere wrote that DOS6.22 can handle long file names if
>they are put into quotation marks. If that is true, then DOS6.22 must
>have some way of coping with long file names.

You remembered wrong.  That is the DOS that under Win95 and Win98.  It is
DOS 7.  Dos 6.22 only supports 8.3 file names.  The long file names are
hidden in extra "volumne label" entries in  the directory.  Only the
first such entry in the root of a DOS volume is used as the volume label,
the rest get ignored.  Try this:  Format a floppy under 95 or 98 (do not
put on a volume label) , put some files in the root that have long file
names, now take the floppy to a DOS machine.  Note: you can't just boot
into DOS mode.  Must be running real 6.22!

Use your favorite sector editor and look at the directory sectors.  First
note that your floppy has a volume label even though you did not specify
one at format time.

Even better: Format under 6.22 with no label.  Take the floppy to your
Win9x machine.  Put on a file with a long file name like
My_Long_File_Name_File.txt (contents unimportant).  Go back to the DOS
machine.  Your floppy now HAS a volume label.

The is special software that you could run under DOS 6.22 to figure out
what the long filename is given the shrt file name.  The DOS itself does
not support them.

--
ATB

Charles Kincaid

Wed, 03 Sep 2003 08:28:23 GMT
 Win95 long file names & PowerBasic

Quote:

>>Is there a way to replace Win95 long file names with their DOS
>>equivalents using PowerBasic within Dos6.22?

>Well, I don't remember DOS 6.22 handling long file names.  Are you sure
>that you are not running DOS 7?  That is what I used to get if I
>restarted my Win95 machine in DOS mode.  If your DOS supports long file
>names then I would try the Console Compiler.

>--
>ATB

>Charles Kincaid

Someone somewhere wrote that DOS6.22 can handle long file names if
they are put into quotation marks. If that is true, then DOS6.22 must
have some way of coping with long file names.

Tue, 02 Sep 2003 23:51:20 GMT
 Win95 long file names & PowerBasic
Thank you very much for the information.   Alan
=====

Quote:

><snip>
>>Someone somewhere wrote that DOS6.22 can handle long file names if
>>they are put into quotation marks. If that is true, then DOS6.22 must
>>have some way of coping with long file names.

>You remembered wrong.  That is the DOS that under Win95 and Win98.  It is
>DOS 7.  Dos 6.22 only supports 8.3 file names.  The long file names are
>hidden in extra "volumne label" entries in  the directory.  Only the
>first such entry in the root of a DOS volume is used as the volume label,
>the rest get ignored.  Try this:  Format a floppy under 95 or 98 (do not
>put on a volume label) , put some files in the root that have long file
>names, now take the floppy to a DOS machine.  Note: you can't just boot
>into DOS mode.  Must be running real 6.22!

>Use your favorite sector editor and look at the directory sectors.  First
>note that your floppy has a volume label even though you did not specify
>one at format time.

>Even better: Format under 6.22 with no label.  Take the floppy to your
>Win9x machine.  Put on a file with a long file name like
>My_Long_File_Name_File.txt (contents unimportant).  Go back to the DOS
>machine.  Your floppy now HAS a volume label.

>The is special software that you could run under DOS 6.22 to figure out
>what the long filename is given the shrt file name.  The DOS itself does
>not support them.

>--
>ATB

>Charles Kincaid

Thu, 04 Sep 2003 01:49:24 GMT

1. File Dialog & Long File Names

2. Win95 Long file name interrupts

3. (VA 4.02b) using long file names for Envy file attachments

4. Using Long File Names (TPS Files) in Clarion

5. Long File name FILE()

6. ~FILE (long file name)

7. TPS Files No longer supported in CFD w/Win95

8. Clipper 5.2e & Long names

9. DOS File Lookup - just the file name, not the path AND file name

10. long file names in J3

11. VST: Long file names under Win32s?

12. RB and long file names