ease of use
Author Message
 ease of use

Can anyone tell me how easy powerbasic is to program?

I see a lot of experienced programmers here who tell me how it helps them
with advanced stuff.  I owned my first computer when I was 16 and have
dabbled in assembler on the 6809 chip on the Radio Shack Color Computer but
mostly program in Basic.  I have tried C and am familiar with it but find it
too cryptic to quickly program up stuff in.  Basically I want to keep it
simple (no pun intended).

Basic allows me to quickly code up simple programs and that was the draw to
PowerBasic but it seems that a knowledge of the API for Windows is necessary
to fully utilize it.  For instance I coded up a file open dialog in Visual
Basic which previewed the file in a list window and even allowed me to make
changes to it and save it before even bringing it into my editor.  It works
great except that it is much slower than the default open common dialog in
Visual Basic.  I figured PowerBasic would allow me to do the same but a lot
faster.  I don't know if the DDT in PowerBasic will allow this.  Does anyone
have experience with this?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:51:27 GMT
 ease of use

Quote:
> Can anyone tell me how easy PowerBasic is to program?

[from context, you mean PB for Windows, and more specifically, GUI
applications with PB/DLL]

Quote:
> Basic allows me to quickly code up simple programs and that was the draw
> PowerBasic but it seems that a knowledge of the API for Windows is
necessary
> to fully utilize it.

I absolutely concur. PB/DLL provides a very nice platform for calling the
Windows API, but does not replace the need to use it (and invest the time in
money in learning how to use it).

Quote:
>  I don't know if the DDT in PowerBasic will allow this..

As far as I can tell, DDT's sole advantage is that is allows one to create
and manipulate dialogs without the need to create a resource script or
handle the (extensive) coding required to create dialogs using the
CreateDialogIndirect[Param]  API call.  Most of the proprietary syntax is
more intuitive than using CreateWindow or SendMessage. Resizing or
relocating controls with DDT is no easier than with the API, because you
still have do all the explicit calculations and conversions necessary to
switch between dialog units and pixels yourself. And, if there is no native
DDT command to do something, you get a window handle and - ta-dah - call the
Windows API yourself.

If I were a VB programmer, I'd find one more advantage of DDT: the 'control
level' callbacks. VB programmers are used to "SUB Button1_Click" or "SUB
TextBox1_GotFocus" and the control-level callbacks in DDT kind of preserve
that concept. (For whatever that concept is worth. Me, I'd rather pick up
all the controls'  messages in the dialog proc so they are all in the same
procedure, with access to common datanames without the need for global
variables).

DDT is pretty handy for {*filter*} programs, and of course, if you are
developing it's a bit easier to change dialogs and controls from within the
program source file rather than modifiying the resource scripts and
recompiling the resource. (That said, I use resource files and do not use
DDT for my commercial work. Not so much the limitation on DDT; rather, I'd
just as soon not stick my clients with yet another set of proprietary
commands a la Microsoft Visual anything).

One last thing: the Windows API is much better documented than DDT, even if
it does cost me $100/year for the MSDN subscription.

--
Michael C. Mattias
Tal Systems Inc.

Thu, 05 Feb 2004 20:19:02 GMT
 ease of use
Michael,

Thanks for the info.  That was pretty much what I thought.  I am on the
brink of buying Charles Petzold's book on API programming but at $84 Cdn it
isn't cheap.

Thanks again,

Dan

Fri, 06 Feb 2004 02:31:32 GMT

1. Generate frequently used code with ease

2. Generate frequently used code with ease

3. Speed and ease of use

4. Topspeed vs SQL ease of use

5. Easing into OOP

6. Windows NT/2000 Discussion List [WINNT-L@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM]

7. Easing Forth

8. ease of use with Telepathy Serial Communications Library

9. Scriptometer: measuring the ease of SOP (Script Oriented Programming) of programming languages

10. Ease of use of COM interfacing in Eiffel

11. Ease Status Update

12. Overwhelming demand for Ease Report - SEZ.YALE.