Update: Free BASIC Compiler
Author Message
 Update: Free BASIC Compiler

This is because it's not the first time i see this message.
Because of this it looks as competition.
Nothing bad to it but a bit weird if people on this group do have a
functional tool.

It looks if shoeshop1 stands before shoeshop2 to promote shoeshop1.

?

Quote:

>> I find it weird to put this message here, we do already have a basic
>> compiler!

>I find it weird that you would object to info regarding alternatives,
>particularly one that is free.  If "filtered" information is more to your
>liking, try the PB web site forums.

Wed, 29 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Update: Free BASIC Compiler

Quote:
>PB Forum, some even from E.B. Knoppert.

Everybody happy again (never had serious problem with it, just a bit weird i
said..)
Quote:

>Nice plug, Dave ... ever consider running for office?

>I do like PB for banging out code.  I've gotten quite
>comfortable with it.  I've also gleaned alot of information
>about Windows programming from the samples of the
>PB Forum, some even from E.B. Knoppert.

>My advise to E.B. -- mellow out, it's Christmas.

>Actually, Kevin's welcome to post info about his product in our third-
>party forum.  Given that Kevin's a powerbasic programmer, I think it's a
>great example of what can be done in our product.

>--Dave

Wed, 29 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Update: Free BASIC Compiler
BCX Web Site has been updated with new files.

Download the latest version, along with new help
file, revision list, and 77 sample programs.

BCX -- BASIC to C Translator for LCC-WIN32

http://www.kdiggins.cjb.net/

Here's the latest sample program.  It copies any
size text file to the Windows Clipboard FAST!
It compiles to only 6,688 bytes!

' --------------------------------------------------------
'              Clip by Kevin Diggins (C) 2000
'        Copies a text file to the Windows clipboard
' --------------------------------------------------------

Dim Fsize                   'Store Size of file in bytes
Dim Test                    'Store if the filename EXIST's
Dim FilName$

Cls

If Command$ = "" Then

  Print " Clip!   A Win32 command line clipboard utility"
  Print " Usage:  Clip!  Filename  ( LongFileNames Allowed)"
  Print " Copy any text file to the Windows clipboard FAST!"
  Print " Freeware by Kevin Diggins -- created using BCX!"
  Print " BCX - The free BASIC to C Translator For LCC-Win32"
  End
End If

FilName$ = Command$

Test = Exist(FilName$)       ' Does it exist?

If Test = 0 then                  ' Nope ...
  Print "File Not Found"
  End                                 ' Exit ... stage left
End If

Fsize = LOF (FilName$)            'How big is the file?

Dim Buffer$ * Fsize + 10          'Create a buffer at least that big

Buffer$ = ""                              'initialize it
GetFile (FilName$,Buffer$,Fsize)
SetClipBoard (Buffer$)               'Place it on the clipboard
Free Buffer$                               'release allocated memory back to Windows

Print " Clip!   A Win32 command line clipboard utility"
Print " Usage:  Clip!  Filename  ( LongFileNames Allowed)"
Print " Copy any text file to the Windows clipboard FAST! "
Print " Freeware by Kevin Diggins -- created using BCX!"
Print " BCX - The free BASIC to C Translator For LCC-Win32"

Color 4,0
Print "        ", Fsize , " bytes sent to the clipboard!"
Color 7,0

'---------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUB SetClipBoard (Text$)
LOCAL nd  AS HANDLE
LOCAL ns$ AS LPSTR
nd  =  GlobalAlloc (GHND,LEN(Text$)+1)
ns$ =  GlobalLock(nd)
ns$ =  Text$
GlobalUnlock (nd)
OpenClipboard (0)
EmptyClipboard ()
SetClipboardData (CF_TEXT,nd)
CloseClipboard ()
End Sub

Sub GetFile (Fname$,Buffer$,Count)
' ------------------------------------------------------
'   Assumes a valid Filename to a file that exists
'   and a Buffer large enough to hold Count bytes
' -------------------------------------------------------
Dim Read AS DWORD
Dim H AS HANDLE
H=CreateFile(Fname,GENERIC_READ,FILE_SHARE_READ,NULL,OPEN_EXISTING,0,0);
ReadFile (H,Buffer$,Count,&Read,NULL)
CloseHandle(H)
End Sub

Thu, 30 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Update: Free BASIC Compiler

-

>SUB SetClipBoard (Text$)
>LOCAL nd  AS HANDLE
>LOCAL ns$ AS LPSTR
>nd  =  GlobalAlloc (GHND,LEN(Text$)+1)
>ns$ =  GlobalLock(nd)
>ns$ =  Text$
>GlobalUnlock (nd)
>OpenClipboard (0)
>EmptyClipboard ()
>SetClipboardData (CF_TEXT,nd)
>CloseClipboard ()
>End Sub

>Sub GetFile (Fname$,Buffer$,Count)
>' ------------------------------------------------------
>'   Assumes a valid Filename to a file that exists
>'   and a Buffer large enough to hold Count bytes
>' -------------------------------------------------------
>Dim Read AS DWORD
>Dim H AS HANDLE
>H=CreateFile(Fname,GENERIC_READ,FILE_SHARE_READ,NULL,OPEN_EXISTING,0,0);
>ReadFile (H,Buffer$,Count,&Read,NULL)
>CloseHandle(H)
>End Sub

Fri, 31 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Update: Free BASIC Compiler

It's an assumption on my part, but I'd bet that not all PowerBasic
users have purchased PBCC or PBDLL.  The BCX translator
( written in PBDOS ) gives these people an opportunity to see
what the Win32 API can do for them.

> [...]

> -

> >SUB SetClipBoard (Text$)
> >LOCAL nd  AS HANDLE
> >LOCAL ns$ AS LPSTR
> >nd  =  GlobalAlloc (GHND,LEN(Text$)+1)
> >ns$ =  GlobalLock(nd)
> >ns$ =  Text$
> >GlobalUnlock (nd)
> >OpenClipboard (0)
> >EmptyClipboard ()
> >SetClipboardData (CF_TEXT,nd)
> >CloseClipboard ()
> >End Sub

> >Sub GetFile (Fname$,Buffer$,Count)
> >' ------------------------------------------------------
> >'   Assumes a valid Filename to a file that exists
> >'   and a Buffer large enough to hold Count bytes
> >' -------------------------------------------------------
> >Dim Read AS DWORD
> >Dim H AS HANDLE
> >H=CreateFile(Fname,GENERIC_READ,FILE_SHARE_READ,NULL,OPEN_EXISTING,0,0);

Fri, 31 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Update: Free BASIC Compiler
BASIC is probably the most popular HLL ever.  Many people do however
find it frustrating after a while and moving to C using a BASIC 2 C
translator would be helpful to them.

C is my favourite, most hated language...

Cheers,

Herman
http://www.AerospaceSoftware.com

> [...]

> >Sub GetFile (Fname$,Buffer$,Count)
> >' ------------------------------------------------------
> >'   Assumes a valid Filename to a file that exists
> >'   and a Buffer large enough to hold Count bytes
> >' -------------------------------------------------------
> >Dim Read AS DWORD
> >Dim H AS HANDLE
> >H=CreateFile(Fname,GENERIC_READ,FILE_SHARE_READ,NULL,OPEN_EXISTING,0,0);
> >ReadFile (H,Buffer$,Count,&Read,NULL)
> >CloseHandle(H)
> >End Sub

Fri, 31 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Update: Free BASIC Compiler

Quote:
> I find it weird to put this message here, we do already have a basic
> compiler!

I find it weird that you would object to info regarding alternatives,
particularly one that is free.  If "filtered" information is more to your

says...

Quote:

> > I find it weird to put this message here, we do already have a basic
> > compiler!

> I find it weird that you would object to info regarding alternatives,
> particularly one that is free.  If "filtered" information is more to your
> liking, try the PB web site forums.

Actually, Kevin's welcome to post info about his product in our third-
party forum.  Given that Kevin's a PowerBASIC programmer, I think it's a
great example of what can be done in our product.

--Dave

Fri, 31 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Update: Free BASIC Compiler
(1) PowerBasic markets (excellent) commercial products
(2) Not every PowerBasic user owns PBCC or PBDLL
(2) BCX is free
(3) LCC-Win32 is Free
(4) Competition is a good thing
(5) Can't we all just get along?
Quote:

> This is because it's not the first time i see this message.
> Because of this it looks as competition.
> Nothing bad to it but a bit weird if people on this group do have a
> functional tool.

> It looks if shoeshop1 stands before shoeshop2 to promote shoeshop1.

> ?

> >> I find it weird to put this message here, we do already have a basic
> >> compiler!

> >I find it weird that you would object to info regarding alternatives,
> >particularly one that is free.  If "filtered" information is more to your
> >liking, try the PB web site forums.

Fri, 31 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Update: Free BASIC Compiler
Nice plug, Dave ... ever consider running for office?

I do like PB for banging out code.  I've gotten quite
comfortable with it.  I've also gleaned alot of information
about Windows programming from the samples of the
PB Forum, some even from E.B. Knoppert.

My advise to E.B. -- mellow out, it's Christmas.

Actually, Kevin's welcome to post info about his product in our third-
party forum.  Given that Kevin's a PowerBASIC programmer, I think it's a
great example of what can be done in our product.

--Dave

Quote:

> > > I find it weird to put this message here, we do already have a basic
> > > compiler!

Fri, 31 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Update: Free BASIC Compiler

Quote:
> Nice plug, Dave ... ever consider running for office?

Actually, yes.  <smile>

But certain things have to happen first...  (long boring story).

--Dave

Fri, 31 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Update: Free BASIC Compiler
Hello.  Tried this program and it works great, except I have to rewrite all
my code in GWBasic to get the process started and that doesn't support a lot
of features I'm used to.  I'm thinking about purchasing PB/CC.  Can anyone
tell me how much I will have to modify my VB6 code (module only) to run as a
.exe in PB/CC?

This "app" has no visual interface.  It's purpose is to solve the "triangle
golf-tee game" at Cracker Barrel restaurants and some truck stops.  It works
well, but takes about 8-10 hours to solve one of the 6 possible versions of
the game under VB using the following:

Windows 95 OSR2 (No other apps running).
AMD K6200
128 Mb Ram

The only thing that has me stumped from writing this in C is that it uses
recursion (function calling itself) up to 13 levels deep.  Can PB/CC or
PB/DLL help me with this without rewriting my entire code module?

Appreciate any help.  I can post source if necessary.  I don't expect to
make any money from solving this puzzle, but I would like to walk into
Cracker Barrel and say... Ha!  Done... :)

Talk to you all soon,
William Main
St. Louis, MO  USA

Quote:

>BCX Web Site has been updated with new files.

>Download the latest version, along with new help
>file, revision list, and 77 sample programs.

>BCX -- BASIC to C Translator for LCC-WIN32

>http://www.kdiggins.cjb.net/

Thu, 06 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Update: Free BASIC Compiler
Both PBCC and PBDLL support line numbers.  BCX does not and probably
never will.  If your program uses CLS,LOCATE, COLOR, PRINT, INPUT
and such then PBCC and BCX will fill the bill.  PBDLL, PBCC, and BCX
expose the Win32 API to you.

BCX is free and PBCC will set you back $159.00.

BCX supports recursion.  There's a recusion sample listing on my web page.

All PowerBasic languages support recursion.  HTH ...

Quote:

> Hello.  Tried this program and it works great, except I have to rewrite all
> my code in GWBasic to get the process started and that doesn't support a lot
> of features I'm used to.  I'm thinking about purchasing PB/CC.  Can anyone
> tell me how much I will have to modify my VB6 code (module only) to run as a
> .exe in PB/CC?

> This "app" has no visual interface.  It's purpose is to solve the "triangle
> golf-tee game" at Cracker Barrel restaurants and some truck stops.  It works
> well, but takes about 8-10 hours to solve one of the 6 possible versions of
> the game under VB using the following:

> Windows 95 OSR2 (No other apps running).
> AMD K6200
> 128 Mb Ram

> The only thing that has me stumped from writing this in C is that it uses
> recursion (function calling itself) up to 13 levels deep.  Can PB/CC or
> PB/DLL help me with this without rewriting my entire code module?

> Appreciate any help.  I can post source if necessary.  I don't expect to
> make any money from solving this puzzle, but I would like to walk into
> Cracker Barrel and say... Ha!  Done... :)

> Talk to you all soon,
> William Main
> St. Louis, MO  USA

> >BCX Web Site has been updated with new files.

> >Download the latest version, along with new help
> >file, revision list, and 77 sample programs.

> >BCX -- BASIC to C Translator for LCC-WIN32

> >http://www.kdiggins.cjb.net/

Thu, 06 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Update: Free BASIC Compiler
                recursion in basics

if u forgo argument passing
keep all variables global,

u can do recursion in any basic

for the last 16 years,

i have been doing fractals
in
gwbasic
&
qbasic.

--
=-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
al aab, ex seders moderator                                   sed u soon

Fri, 07 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Updated compiler comparisons and free Threading seminar

2. Updated Win32 Compiler Comparisons (including results for Salford's .NET compiler)

3. BASIC To C Translator -- Updated

4. Basic Dylan FAQ updated and available for review

5. UPDATE: TIP #48: Basic themeing infrastructure for Tk.

6. UPDATED: TIP #0: Tcl Core Team Basic Rules

7. Program Windows in BASIC for Free

8. LEARN BASIC PROGRAMMING FOR FREE!!!!

9. Free Software--EasyType 1.2 Basic makes you type as fast you think

10. Is ther a GW-BASIC compiler?

11. looking for a basic compiler for an 8051 uP

12. * New Basic Compiler *