PB/DLL's and Windows NT
Author Message
 PB/DLL's and Windows NT

I wrote some code with PB/CC (2.0) which calls a PB/DLL (v 6.0) DLL; it
works fine when I run on Windows 95 or 98 with the DLL in the same directory
as the EXE and I use Explorer to click on the EXE.

However, this past week I tried to do the same thing on Windows NT
Workstation, and I kept getting a message that Windows "could not find
MEXIT1.DLL [the DLL file] in the specified path."  The message box then
showed the path; the first member of that path was the current directory?
(The subject directory is a network drive, if that makes a difference).

The DECLARE for the DLL does not specify a path in the LIB statement:

DECLARE SUB TestExit LIB "MEXIT1" ALIAS "TESTEXIT" (M AS MercatorExitType)

For NT/Workstation, do I need to do something with the case of "MEXT1"
(e.g., make it "mexit1") or add an extra ".DLL" to the DECLARE?

Or, as one person suggested earlier this week, is this an "NT thing" and I
need to "register" the DLL? If I need to "register" it,  can someone suggest
how I do that (API call in an install program? Start/Run/"something?").
Could this be some kind of NT security feature(??!) I am running into?

Thanks,
Michael Mattias
Tal Systems
Racine WI USA

Thu, 05 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PB/DLL's and Windows NT

Quote:

> DECLARE SUB TestExit LIB "MEXIT1" ALIAS "TESTEXIT" (M AS MercatorExitType)

> For NT/Workstation, do I need to do something with the case of "MEXT1"
> (e.g., make it "mexit1") or add an extra ".DLL" to the DECLARE?

Yes.

DECLARE SUB TestExit LIB "MEXIT1.DLL" ALIAS "TESTEXIT" (M AS MercatorExitType)

If you include the .DLL extension it will work with all versions of Windows.

-- Eric

Thu, 05 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PB/DLL's and Windows NT
Thank you. I recompiled and tested under Win/98 OK; and since I am going to
the client site
tomorrow I'll be able to test it on both NT and 95.

I get back Wedenesday, so I will post the results here then.

--
Michael Mattias
Tal Systems

Quote:

> > DECLARE SUB TestExit LIB "MEXIT1" ALIAS "TESTEXIT" (M AS
MercatorExitType)

> > For NT/Workstation, do I need to do something with the case of "MEXT1"
> > (e.g., make it "mexit1") or add an extra ".DLL" to the DECLARE?

> Yes.

> DECLARE SUB TestExit LIB "MEXIT1.DLL" ALIAS "TESTEXIT" (M AS
MercatorExitType)

> If you include the .DLL extension it will work with all versions of
Windows.

> -- Eric

Fri, 06 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PB/DLL's and Windows NT
Tested on NT workstation 4.0 6/20/00 and it worked good. Unable to test on
Win/95, but it works on Win/98.

I guess I just need to get (back?) in the habit of always using
"whatever.DLL" (with the ".DLL") in _all_ my LIB statements.

--
Michael Mattias
Tal Systems

Quote:

> > DECLARE SUB TestExit LIB "MEXIT1" ALIAS "TESTEXIT" (M AS
MercatorExitType)

> > For NT/Workstation, do I need to do something with the case of "MEXT1"
> > (e.g., make it "mexit1") or add an extra ".DLL" to the DECLARE?

> Yes.

> DECLARE SUB TestExit LIB "MEXIT1.DLL" ALIAS "TESTEXIT" (M AS
MercatorExitType)

> If you include the .DLL extension it will work with all versions of
Windows.

> -- Eric

Sun, 08 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. MX Lookup with PB/CC or PB/DLL

2. TCPADDR for PB/DLL & PB/CC

3. Info on new PB/CC and PB/DLL

4. Announcing the JazzAge COM Wizard for PB/DLL and PB/CC

5. animated characters, speech input/output in PB/DLL and PB/CC

6. email enable PB/DLL-PB/CC using Outlook

7. SQL, ADO/OLE-DB programming in PB/DLL and PB/CC

8. PB DLL's for Visual Basic

9. new JA 'CE' for PB/DLL, PB/CC OpenBeta3

10. Moscow ML 1.42 for Windows NT and Windows'95

11. Trouble with 'exec' in windows NT

12. Compilers Windows NT or Cross Compiler SunSolaris2.5/Windows NT Fortran77