Ok, I did it, Lance
Author Message
 Ok, I did it, Lance

Hi Lance, Dave, Tom, et al,

  I broke down today and bought Petzold's book and I hope you all are having a
good laugh about now!! You didn't tell me that I'd have to put in more
shelving! I've got unabridged dictionaries smaller that this thing! <grin>

  Now I guess you're going to tell me that I've got to read it before it's
going to do me any good. Right?

C'ya,

   ____    _    ____      ____  _____
  |  _ \  / \  / ___) __ | ___)(_   _) Don Schullian

  |____//_/ \_\(____/\__/|_|     |_|    www.DASoftVSS.com
  ___________________________________   www.basicguru.com
      Vertical Software Solutions

Sat, 04 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Ok, I did it, Lance

Quote:
>  I broke down today and bought Petzold's book and I hope you all are having
> a good laugh about now!! You didn't tell me that I'd have to put in more
> shelving! I've got unabridged dictionaries smaller that this thing! <grin>

You're just getting started!  You'll also need Appleman's "VB Guide to the
Windows API" which is even bigger.

Learn these and you'll be well equipped to create simple Windows programs in the
most tedious, excruciatingly slow, painstaking way possible ... the way it
was done in the old days ... about a decade ago.  It'll probably take you 4
times
longer than your competition to produce anything useful but you'll have the
satisfaction of creating small .EXEs and that's really what it's all about
nowadays.  I'm sure your clients understand.

Quote:
> Now I guess you're going to tell me that I've got to read it before it's
> going to do me any good. Right?

Such is the price of "progress".

--
Ernie Deel, EFD Systems
Gravity ... not just a good idea, it's the law.

Sat, 04 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Ok, I did it, Lance

Quote:
> You're just getting started!  You'll also need Appleman's "VB Guide to the
> Windows API" which is even bigger.

 Good for the children when they need an extra step to the toilet bowl..
 Thank god for the useful CD it comes with!

Quote:
> longer than your competition to produce anything useful but you'll have the
> satisfaction of creating small .EXEs and that's really what it's all about
> nowadays.  I'm sure your clients understand.

 It's a nice satisfaction to brag about how small 'things' you now can do
with.  8o)

Sat, 04 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Ok, I did it, Lance

Quote:
>  It's a nice satisfaction to brag about how small 'things' you now can do
> with.  8o)

Absolutely; surely you've heard about the "War on Bloatware"?

Perhaps the only thing more important than .EXE size for the BASIC
programmer is compile speed.  Since BASIC programmers tend to produce
large, sophisticated applications that can take up to a second to compile
on modern processors, they rely on those few 10th's of a second saved with every
compile to give them the edge in real-world software development.

Sat, 04 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Ok, I did it, Lance

Quote:
> Hi Lance, Dave, Tom, et al,

> I broke down today and bought Petzold's book and I hope you all are
> having a
> good laugh about now!! You didn't tell me that I'd have to put in more
> shelving! I've got unabridged dictionaries smaller that this thing! <grin>

In truth? I've never read it! I'm more of a under-the-hood kind of guy than
a GUI developer. Do let us know how it goes, though. "They" say it's a
good investment, and who are we to question "them"? :-)

Mon, 06 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Ok, I did it, Lance

Quote:
>  I broke down today and bought Petzold's book and I hope you all are having a
>good laugh about now!! You didn't tell me that I'd have to put in more
>shelving! I've got unabridged dictionaries smaller that this thing! <grin>

>  Now I guess you're going to tell me that I've got to read it before it's
>going to do me any good. Right?

Petzold is extraordinary, in that even if it is written for MS C, and
you do not know C at all, you'll still understand it perfectly well. I
have the 2nd edition, which is for Win3, and it's a pleasure to read.
He is a great communicator, so go on reading it. You are going to
enjoy it.

Manuel Algora

Mon, 06 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Ok, I did it, Lance
Well done Don, you won't regret it! (smile)  After you've read that
one, get Rector & Newcomer's "Win32 Programming". (grin!)

Marc, just to clarify, the Petzold -> powerbasic conversion code was
done by a PowerBASIC customer, rather than PB staff... the files are
therefore not official support files, but are very interesting for
anyone who needs a hand with the C to PB translation.

Quote:
>Even if you don't read C easily -- PowerBASIC conversions of the Petzold
>code can be found at the PB FTP site.

Lance
PowerBASIC Support

Tue, 07 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. ok, so how do I return a sorted list without doing it in place

2. Buttons: Mac OK, Windows not OK

3. CAN error out--OK(1073094667) and OK(1073094763)

4. OK OK, one more plaything

5. Paying free-lance pro

6. Message to Lance Collins.

7. free-lance programmers needed

8. AMD Lance Chip Verilog

9. Looking for a verilog model of Am7990 (LANCE).

10. Programming LANCE and TCP/IP in ada

11. Doing assembly and really doing assembly

12. Doing assembly and really doing assembly