WIN32.HLP
Author Message
 WIN32.HLP

Hi,

  For some reason the latest WIN32.HLP file I d/loaded from the PB site won't
or can't compile the keyword file so I can use the 'find' feature. I've
attempted to back down to the previous version but it, too, is refusing to do
so now. They both throw a page fault.

  Obviously, something is wrong. Any ideas?

TIA,

   ____    _    ____      ____  _____
  |  _ \  / \  / ___) __ | ___)(_   _) Don Schullian

  |____//_/ \_\(____/\__/|_|     |_|    www.DASoftVSS.com
  ___________________________________   www.basicguru.com
      Vertical Software Solutions

Fri, 22 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 WIN32.HLP

Quote:

> Hi,

>   For some reason the latest WIN32.HLP file I d/loaded from the PB site won't
> or can't compile the keyword file so I can use the 'find' feature. I've
> attempted to back down to the previous version but it, too, is refusing to do
> so now. They both throw a page fault.

>   Obviously, something is wrong. Any ideas?

1: Try a different OS (W95, W98, NT).
2: Check if the directory is read only.
3: Check your TEMP, TMP settings. (My best guess)
4: Run from the root of a drive, or in the Windows dir, or TEMP dir.

HTH

--
Peter Manders.
Please remove the 'u' to reply.

Fri, 22 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 WIN32.HLP
Just for the record, I have the same problem. I've tried with
NT4sp4, NT4sp5, W98; all environment settings are correct
and I've doublechecked  all the things that make sense to
check and some that don't. My guess is there's bad code in
the hlp file; winhelp produces this error message when trying
to build the fulltext search index:

   WINHLP32 caused an invalid page fault in
   module KERNEL32.DLL at 015f:bff7a128.

... just so Peter knows he's not alone.

- Troy

Quote:

> Hi,

>   For some reason the latest WIN32.HLP file I d/loaded from the PB site won't
> or can't compile the keyword file so I can use the 'find' feature. I've
> attempted to back down to the previous version but it, too, is refusing to do
> so now. They both throw a page fault.

>   Obviously, something is wrong. Any ideas?

Sat, 23 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 WIN32.HLP
I meant to post this last time, but forgot: I'll try
converting it back to topic files with RoboHelp later
today and let you know how it goes. Maybe just recompiling
it will fix it? I'll let you know.

- Troy

Sat, 23 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 WIN32.HLP

Quote:

>Just for the record, I have the same problem. I've tried with
>NT4sp4, NT4sp5, W98; all environment settings are correct
>and I've doublechecked  all the things that make sense to
>check and some that don't. My guess is there's bad code in
>the hlp file; winhelp produces this error message when trying
>to build the fulltext search index:

>   WINHLP32 caused an invalid page fault in
>   module KERNEL32.DLL at 015f:bff7a128.

Close enough to what I'm getting for government work!

Quote:
>... just so Peter knows he's not alone.

Peter? No... Don.

Anyhow, Peter, the 4 items you listed have no effect on the crash but thanks
anyhow.

Thanks guys,

   ____    _    ____      ____  _____
  |  _ \  / \  / ___) __ | ___)(_   _) Don Schullian

  |____//_/ \_\(____/\__/|_|     |_|    www.DASoftVSS.com
  ___________________________________   www.basicguru.com
      Vertical Software Solutions

Sun, 24 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 WIN32.HLP
Quote:
>... just so Peter knows he's not alone.

Peter? No... Don.

Sorry Don! I wound up consulting until 11:00 last night,
so I didn't get a chance to do the hlp->rtf->hlp bit.
I'll try again tonight!

- Troy

Sun, 24 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 WIN32.HLP

Quote:
> Hi,

>   For some reason the latest WIN32.HLP file I d/loaded from the PB site
won't
> or can't compile the keyword file so I can use the 'find' feature. I've
> attempted to back down to the previous version but it, too, is refusing to
do
> so now. They both throw a page fault.

>   Obviously, something is wrong. Any ideas?

> TIA,

>    ____    _    ____      ____  _____
>   |  _ \  / \  / ___) __ | ___)(_   _) Don Schullian

>   |____//_/ \_\(____/\__/|_|     |_|    www.DASoftVSS.com
>   ___________________________________   www.basicguru.com
>       Vertical Software Solutions

I have the same problem on my Windows 95-B machine. However, on my NT4.0
with sp4 loaded, the help file 'find' feature works fine. Weird!!

James A Gant

Mon, 25 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 WIN32.HLP

Quote:
>   For some reason the latest WIN32.HLP file I d/loaded from the PB site
> won't
> or can't compile the keyword file so I can use the 'find' feature. I've
> attempted to back down to the previous version but it, too, is refusing
> to do so now. They both throw a page fault.

There's likely to be a hidden file, WIN32.GID, in the same directory as the
WIN32.HLP file. Nuke it. The next time you open the .HLP file, the .GID
file will be recreated by Windows, and will match up properly with the new
.HLP file. That may just do the trick.

Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. elj-win32 0.4 Release: The GNU Eiffel win32 Distribution

2. elj-win32: A FREE/NO-RISK win32 SmallEiffel Distribution

3. Calling Win32 API functions with Gnat 3.09 (Win32 version)

4. Win32 extensions using the .NET SDK and the Win32 Platform SDK

5. Win32 Debug vs Win32 Release when Fortran files are included (+IMSL)

6. Win32 Console app -> Win32 app: help wanted

7. Win32 Nimda.A@mm (dr) and Win32 Nimda.E@mm (dr)

8. More trouble with win32api.hlp

9. win32api.hlp

10. .HLP files

11. Column ToolTip CANNOT be disabled, pls hlp

12. Clarion 3.1 .hlp Files