clearing up code
Author Message
 clearing up code

have just started working on someone elses code, part in powerbasic, part in
Q Basic.  It stretches over a number of files, has no remarks, plenty of
global variables and global error tracking, not much use of procedures or
functions but loads of gosub calls.  It is too large to recode (and after
all it does work).  What I`m trying to do is get my head around it by
listing details about every subroutine, program, variable...  Has anyone
found a good way to do this or does software exists to extract and present
the metadata from the code.

Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:00:58 GMT
 clearing up code
As I recall, Don Malen had a product out sometime back called XREF, that was
used to generate cross reference listings (subs and variables) of BASIC
code.  I think it was written for the MS set of products, so I don't know
how well it would work with PowerBASIC (or even QBasic for that matter).

You may want to give some thought to coding something yourself.  As easy as
it is to manipulate and scan strings in BASIC, it might be easier to do
that, rather than finding a third-party package.  You could scan for certain
strings (GOSUB, CALL, FUNC, SUB, etc.) and build a small database of where
everything fits together.  Variables might be a bit more tricky, but
certainly doable.

Paul

Quote:
> have just started working on someone elses code, part in Powerbasic, part
in
> Q Basic.  It stretches over a number of files, has no remarks, plenty of
> global variables and global error tracking, not much use of procedures or
> functions but loads of gosub calls.  It is too large to recode (and after
> all it does work).  What I`m trying to do is get my head around it by
> listing details about every subroutine, program, variable...  Has anyone
> found a good way to do this or does software exists to extract and present
> the metadata from the code.

Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:32:20 GMT
 clearing up code
I think the XREF product is still marketed by Ethan Winer's Full Moon
Software.

www.ethanwiner.com  is one place to start.

--

Michael Mattias
Tal Systems

Quote:
> As I recall, Don Malen had a product out sometime back called XREF, that
was
> used to generate cross reference listings (subs and variables) of BASIC
> code.  I think it was written for the MS set of products, so I don't know
> how well it would work with PowerBASIC (or even QBasic for that matter).

> You may want to give some thought to coding something yourself.  As easy
as
> it is to manipulate and scan strings in BASIC, it might be easier to do
> that, rather than finding a third-party package.  You could scan for
certain
> strings (GOSUB, CALL, FUNC, SUB, etc.) and build a small database of where
> everything fits together.  Variables might be a bit more tricky, but
> certainly doable.

> Paul

> > have just started working on someone elses code, part in Powerbasic,
part
> in
> > Q Basic.  It stretches over a number of files, has no remarks, plenty of
> > global variables and global error tracking, not much use of procedures
or
> > functions but loads of gosub calls.  It is too large to recode (and
after
> > all it does work).  What I`m trying to do is get my head around it by
> > listing details about every subroutine, program, variable...  Has anyone
> > found a good way to do this or does software exists to extract and
present
> > the metadata from the code.

Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:51:20 GMT
 clearing up code
Thanks for the correction.  I was doing it from memory, and obviously
poorly.  Yes, Ethan Winer is the one.

Paul

Quote:
> I think the XREF product is still marketed by Ethan Winer's Full Moon
> Software.

> www.ethanwiner.com  is one place to start.

> --

> Michael Mattias
> Tal Systems
> Racine WI USA

> > As I recall, Don Malen had a product out sometime back called XREF, that
> was
> > used to generate cross reference listings (subs and variables) of BASIC
> > code.  I think it was written for the MS set of products, so I don't
know
> > how well it would work with PowerBASIC (or even QBasic for that matter).

> > You may want to give some thought to coding something yourself.  As easy
> as
> > it is to manipulate and scan strings in BASIC, it might be easier to do
> > that, rather than finding a third-party package.  You could scan for
> certain
> > strings (GOSUB, CALL, FUNC, SUB, etc.) and build a small database of
where
> > everything fits together.  Variables might be a bit more tricky, but
> > certainly doable.

> > Paul

> > > have just started working on someone elses code, part in Powerbasic,
> part
> > in
> > > Q Basic.  It stretches over a number of files, has no remarks, plenty
of
> > > global variables and global error tracking, not much use of procedures
> or
> > > functions but loads of gosub calls.  It is too large to recode (and
> after
> > > all it does work).  What I`m trying to do is get my head around it by
> > > listing details about every subroutine, program, variable...  Has
anyone
> > > found a good way to do this or does software exists to extract and
> present
> > > the metadata from the code.

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:53:45 GMT

1. Clipper 5.3 @..CLEAR and CLEAR problem!