Power Basic List server
Author Message
 Power Basic List server

Hello All,

I have been using PB sense TB 1.0. I can't say that I am
real good at it, but always seem to get it to do what I want
it to do. I ran a BBS for about 5 years in the DFW area and
wrote a bunch of utilities and a few games that I used on
it. As the internet kicked it the user base dwindled so I
closed the board.

Recently (the last of 98) a list I was on (a Classic car
list) was going to shut down. I hated to see this happen so
I decided to pick up where the list operator left off. So
did 4 other people. They chose online services to set their
lists up. I decided it could be done with PB and my existing
ISP. Sense that time three of the five list have shut down
and mine is in the lead.

The problem with the online servers is that there is almost
no moderation capabilities and they beat the list to death
with ads. I have full control over mine and added filters
and keep adding them as new ads show up. The results are a
very clean digest. At this time there are 450+ subscribers.
About 12 to 25 messages come in daily and are filtered and
compiled into a digest and then that list is sent out to all
450+. My work is minimal, but there is still a lot of
automation I'd like to add. How I work this is messages are
sent in to the address I have set up for it. As the messages
come in (each time I dial out for mail) I cull the messages
that are spam or those I moderate and keep out for foul
language or off topic. The others I send to a DIR as 1 to
99. Once I have enough messages to make up a digest (once a
day usually) I run the software I wrote to combine those
messages, filter out HTML code, but keep the text from HTML
messages, update the count of subscribers, and set the
digest up to be sent out. I then use a mass mailer to send
the digests to all of the subscribers and all works very
well.

Now what I would like to do is set it up to serve as the
mail fetcher, and mass mailer also. Given enough time I will
probably get this done. I could use some help on those two
items to and would be willing to work as a group to develop
a FREEWARE list server written entirely in PB Dos.

Anyone with the knowledge I need care to join in and help
out?

Cheers
David T. Smith (Formerly Sysop of Thorne's Castle BBS) Now
Thorne's Castle on the Web.
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 28 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Power Basic List server
 > Now what I would like to do is set it up to serve as the
 > mail fetcher, and mass mailer also. Given enough time I will
 > probably get this done. I could use some help on those two
 > items to and would be willing to work as a group to develop
 > a FREEWARE list server written entirely in PB Dos.
 >
 > Anyone with the knowledge I need care to join in and help
 > out?

I have the knowledge about fetching and sending mail protocols,
and would be willing to help out with that.

However, I don't know how to open a TCP/IP connection from
PB, using the windows TCPIP stack or any other.

If someone else can fill that in, we can get this rolling.

Marcel

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Power Basic List server
The "about to be released" updates to PB/DLL and PB/CC both include
UDP & TCP functionality, and will come with example code to show you
how straight forward it will be to write Internet apps!

Quote:

>I have the knowledge about fetching and sending mail protocols,
>and would be willing to help out with that.
>However, I don't know how to open a TCP/IP connection from
>PB, using the windows TCPIP stack or any other.
>If someone else can fill that in, we can get this rolling.
>Marcel

Lance
powerbasic Support

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Power Basic List server
Hello Marcel & All,

Quote:

> I have the knowledge about fetching and sending mail protocols,
> and would be willing to help out with that.

I know most of the information for dealing with the internet is in
the PB III Cd. I've been putting off trying to sift through it to
figure out how to write  what I need. Once I have the mail it is
easy enough to format, filter and moderate it. I know fetching and
sending mail can be done with no help from win95 at all and what I
had in mind is something that could be run in a window or setup on
an older DOS machine and stuck in the corner somewhere to run
automatically when I am out of town. Then I could moderate it most
of the time when I am here. (Nearly always) The problem I've found
with Online listservers and listserv and the others that run under
linux is there is no moderation. About anyone can send in Spam or
anything else they want to.

Quote:
> However, I don't know how to open a TCP/IP connection from
> PB, using the windows TCPIP stack or any other.

I think it is all in PB Xtra III, but boy I sure hate to sift
through it to find what I need to do.

Quote:
> If someone else can fill that in, we can get this rolling.

> Marcel

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers
David

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Power Basic List server
Hello Lance,

Quote:

> The "about to be released" updates to PB/DLL and PB/CC both include
> UDP & TCP functionality, and will come with example code to show you
> how straight forward it will be to write Internet apps!

I'd like to do this from DOS, but..... How much is this going to cost and am
I going to have to learn another form of basic to program in it?

Cheers
David

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Power Basic List server

Quote:

> The problem with the online servers is that there is almost
> no moderation capabilities and they beat the list to death
> with ads. I have full control over mine and added filters
> and keep adding them as new ads show up.

[rant mode]
Some list serve software, like LSoft's ListServ, can be set up so
that a moderator has to approve you to join the list, and if you
don't belong to the list, you can't post.  Unfortunately, many lists
are by open subscription and/or posting -- so it's easy for spammers
to use them to propagate their junk.
[/rant mode]

Quote:
> Now what I would like to do is set it up to serve as the
> mail fetcher, and mass mailer also. Given enough time I will
> probably get this done. I could use some help on those two
> items to and would be willing to work as a group to develop
> a FREEWARE list server written entirely in PB Dos.

I've been tinkering with such a thing in PB/CC using MarshalSoft's
SEE4PB e-mail engine. 'Tinkering' means that in about an hour's
time, I had a program that could fetch all the e-mail from a POP3
box, check the sender against a subscriber list, and re-trans to the
subscribers if it passed.  Pretty screen stats, sysop intervention,
& archiving are on my list of things I'd like to play with.

For now, I'm waiting to see what the new TCP/UDP features in PB/CC
2.0 amount to; it's likely it only provides and interface to the TCP
layer, opening sockets and etc.  I'd still have to learn how to
converse with POP3 or SMTP servers, so SEE4PB will still be vlauable
to me.

Bud Durland, CNE                       email:

Computer and Network Coordinator       Voice: 518.561.0100 x118
Champlain Valley Educational Services    Fax: 518.561.0240

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Power Basic List server
Hi David,

Quote:

>Hello Lance,

>> The "about to be released" updates to PB/DLL and PB/CC both include
>> UDP & TCP functionality, and will come with example code to show you
>> how straight forward it will be to write Internet apps!
>I'd like to do this from DOS, but..... How much is this going to cost and am
>I going to have to learn another form of basic to program in it?

I'd suggest you go to the PowerBASIC site and take a look at the
"products" page. Note, as the new versions have not begun shipping (1
to 2 weeks I'm told), info on them may not yet be available.  However,
PB's web BBS site has many messages containing info about the new
versions.

To send email from DOS is very complicated.  If your DOS code is
running under Win95 (or better), you could write the email code with
PB/CC ( Win32 executable) and SHELL from the DOS app to it... the Dos
app would resume when the PB/CC app finishes.

It's very easy to interface DOS apps to windows with PB/CC... I like
to think of it as a "bridge"!

Lance
PowerBASIC Support

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Power Basic List server

Quote:

> PB/CC and PB/DLL do not come with complete build-in POP3 or
> SMTP routines.
> See below for the supported commands:
>>>snip<<<

This kinda what I expected (and not a slam on PB inc).  Someday,
I'll learn all the details about the "upper levels", but right now I
have other irons in the fire.  SEE4PB takes care of all the
receiving/sending of e-mail, even decoding attachments
automatically.  I treat it like buying a library of screen
routines:  could I do it? sure, but for <$100 I don't have to, well
worth it to me.

OTOH, now we can create a really cool tcp/multiplayer game... Maybe
a Win32 version of 'snipes'?

Bud Durland, CNE                       email:

Computer and Network Coordinator       Voice: 518.561.0100 x118
Champlain Valley Educational Services    Fax: 518.561.0240

Sun, 04 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Power Basic List server
Marc, unf i don't have PB6 yet..

But, i'm prob. gonna ask a stupid question but,
could PB's TCP be a replacement for "z-modem- lookalike transmissions" for
ordinary lines AND without using an installed TCP driver in Windows?
We use comport situations to our customers but later on we like to establish
some binary transfers ( a bit more easy with a decent protocol)

Regards,

Quote:
>On Tue, 18 May 1999 16:28:24 -0400, Nathan 'Bud' Durland

>>For now, I'm waiting to see what the new TCP/UDP features in PB/CC
>>2.0 amount to; it's likely it only provides and interface to the TCP
>>layer, opening sockets and etc.  I'd still have to learn how to
>>converse with POP3 or SMTP servers, so SEE4PB will still be vlauable
>>to me.

>PB/CC and PB/DLL do not come with complete build-in POP3 or SMTP routines.
>See below for the supported commands:

>However, I know that there is SMTP and POP3 example code available for
>Pb/DLL 6.0 and Pb/CC 2.0 -- maybe this will be included when the final
>products are released?

>TCP OPEN [PORT pnum | "srvc"] AT "host" as fnum [TIMEOUT seconds&]
>TCP OPEN SERVER [PORT pnum | "srvc"] as fnum
>TCP CLOSE fnum [,fnum...]
>TCP SEND #fnum, $exp
>TCP RECV #fnum, count, $var
>TCP PRINT #fnum, $exp [;]
>TCP LINE [INPUT] #fnum, $var
>TCP ACCEPT fnum as newfnum
>TCP NOTIFY fnum, send|recv|accept|connect|close TO hwnd as wmsg

>              pnum is a long integer expression to specify the host port.
>              "srvc" is a string expr specifying smtp,pop,nntp...
>              "host" is a string expr specifying site (powerbasic.com...)
>              TCP Print sends a text line, followed by a cr/lf (which can
>              be suppressed with a trailing semi-colon).  TCP Line Input
>              reads a text line, delimited by a cr/lf.  TCP Send and Recv
>              read/write undelimited binary data.  TCP is invalid with
>              Open Handle.  TCP files can be terminated either with the
>              TCP CLOSE statement, or the standard file CLOSE statement.
>              TCP OPEN SERVER creates a socket on the local server at the
>              specified port and listens for connection requests.  TCP
>              NOTIFY specifies which requests should send a message to your
>              WndProc callback.  TCP ACCEPT accepts a connection request
>              and creates a new socket to handle communication.  The
>              timeout option must be specified in whole seconds -- if
>              zero, the function will wait indefinitely - if not specified,
>              the default is 60.
>--
>Marc van den Dikkenberg
>--
>The PowerBasic Archives (EU) -- http://www.xs4all.nl/~excel/pb.html
>The PowerBasic Archives (US) -- http://www.basicguru.com/dikkenberg
>All Basic Code Archives      -- http://come.to/abcpackets

Mon, 05 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Power Basic List server
Thank you for your reply..

Regards,

Quote:
>On Thu, 20 May 1999 19:28:51 +0200, "E.B. Knoppert (NL)"

>>Marc, unf i don't have PB6 yet..

>>But, i'm prob. gonna ask a stupid question but,
>>could PB's TCP be a replacement for "z-modem- lookalike transmissions" for
>>ordinary lines AND without using an installed TCP driver in Windows?
>>We use comport situations to our customers but later on we like to
establish
>>some binary transfers ( a bit more easy with a decent protocol)

>PB's COM and TCP commands are completely seperated - COM interfaces
>directly to the communication port, and TCP with the Windows TCP/IP driver.

>PB's TCP/IP implementation communicates directly with the TCP/IP drivers
>installed in Windows -- these take care of the actual datatransfers and
>connections, the new TCP commands in PB 6 just give you a way to interface
>with them.
>This is pretty much the same way it works in all windows programming
>languages, not just PowerBasic.

>As such, the TCP-driver in windows is a required item for any TCP/IP
>communication -- unless you build your own stack and write your own TCP/IP
>implementation, which is way too complex to make it worthwhile, I'm sure.

>--
>Marc van den Dikkenberg
>--
>The PowerBasic Archives (EU) -- http://www.xs4all.nl/~excel/pb.html
>The PowerBasic Archives (US) -- http://www.basicguru.com/dikkenberg
>All Basic Code Archives      -- http://come.to/abcpackets

Tue, 06 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Power Basic CC vs Power Basic for DOS

2. Power Basic for Linux

3. Power Basic DLL 6.0

4. Isam and Power-basic

5. Power Basic and DDE

6. Power B.A.S.I.C newcomer

7. Power BASIC "ARRAY" commands

8. Comparaciones entre Smalltalk, Power Buider y Visual Basic

9. How mixed fortran power station 4.0 with visual basic

10. Wish List for Clarion Browse or Power Browse

11. the power of reduce over list

12. the Power of reduce over list