PB Consultants' List
Author Message
 PB Consultants' List

powerbasic Consultants:

Since at least 1999, PowerBASIC, Inc. has been saying they will (do?)
provide a public list of PB consultants, and several times has solicited
consultants to "send in your data so we can make it available."

Well, I have never seen this list posted; and on the few occasions when I
have asked for a list of consultants in my geographic area I've only gotten
back like one one or two names in a personal-type e-mail message from the
support department.(i.e., I never got 'a list' per se).

I was looking forward to having a good list available, as one of the
questions which always comes up when I am talking to prospects is, "What if
you get hit by a bus during this project. What do we do then? If you wrote
in (major brand-name BASIC language product from major Redmond WA software
vendor), we know we could find someone to finish the project, but what the
(major place of eternal non-rest for sinners) is this "PowerBASIC" product?"

Well, maybe there's a better way...

Is there anyone out there with a web site where they might be willing to
post summaries (see below for what I sent to PB a couple of times)?

I will assist with collection and formatting (i.e., fix spelling errors and
such, clarify where the description is vague, etc).

I know that many of you with your own web sites sites cannot do this, as you
would be promoting your own competition, but surely someone either has or
knows of a site which might be suitable. (I think?)

Might be best if consultants wishing to advertise paid a modest fee for the
privilege, as that might help weed out all the "sure, I can be a consultant"
types. (Anyone with otherwise unused web space want to pick up a few bucks
as a specialty advertising site?)

If free, perhaps a 'standard' form such as below could be required of all
who wish to advertise. (Ideas on what should be included would also be
appreciated).

Anyone with any interest or ideas in this please post, or feel free to send
off-newsgroup e-mail directly to me.

Regards,

--
Michael C. Mattias
Tal Systems

SAMPLE CONSULANT SUMMARY
(Real data) (but a little outdated; I created this document last time I
complied with PB's request, which was 12/15/99).

Name......... Michael C. Mattias
              dba Tal Systems
Address...... 5329 Charles St.
              Racine WI 53402-2119
Phone........ (262) 681-3895
Fax.......... none

Costs........ Negotiable, per-project. Will provide design, code
              and documentation separately if desired.

Languages.... PowerBASIC 3.x/DOS
              PowerBASIC/Windows DLL/EXE (16 and 32 bit) and PB/CC
              Microsoft DOS BASICs
              COBOL (OS/VS, Microfocus PC/Unix, COBOL/390, more)

Specialties.. ANSI X.12 and EDIFACT EDI translation, mapping and
              application integration; design; data management.
              Twenty-plus years sales/service/executive experience
              in manufacturing/distribution industries. Additional
              niche specialty in Health Care EDI.
              Complete documentation and client list available.

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:15:36 GMT
 PB Consultants' List
Michael,

You  make it sooo {*filter*} yourself..

It's never good to do this.

Ain't you happy with your current buy in the first place, something i would
like to know.
Maybe never a new version will becom available... what then, still having
PB6 luckily??

No hard feelings i hope..

Quote:

> [...]

>complied with PB's request, which was 12/15/99).

>Name......... Michael C. Mattias
>              dba Tal Systems
>Address...... 5329 Charles St.
>              Racine WI 53402-2119
>Phone........ (262) 681-3895
>Fax.......... none

>Costs........ Negotiable, per-project. Will provide design, code
>              and documentation separately if desired.

>Languages.... PowerBASIC 3.x/DOS
>              PowerBASIC/Windows DLL/EXE (16 and 32 bit) and PB/CC
>              Microsoft DOS BASICs
>              COBOL (OS/VS, Microfocus PC/Unix, COBOL/390, more)

>Specialties.. ANSI X.12 and EDIFACT EDI translation, mapping and
>              application integration; design; data management.
>              Twenty-plus years sales/service/executive experience
>              in manufacturing/distribution industries. Additional
>              niche specialty in Health Care EDI.
>              Complete documentation and client list available.

Sat, 15 Nov 2003 02:34:00 GMT
 PB Consultants' List
I think i misinterpreted it completely..

Sat, 15 Nov 2003 02:36:18 GMT
 PB Consultants' List

Quote:
> I think i misinterpreted it completely..

I think so , too.

MCM

Sat, 15 Nov 2003 04:11:07 GMT
 PB Consultants' List
Sorry Michael,
Quote:

>> I think i misinterpreted it completely..

>I think so , too.

>MCM

Sat, 15 Nov 2003 04:47:36 GMT
 PB Consultants' List
Michael,

If PowerBASIC.com doesn't have a list or doesn't plan to build a list,
then I wouldn't mind putting up an unofficial ASP web site for PowerBASIC
programmers. Would put this at www.rgsoftware.com/PowerBASIC/
Someone please let me if this already exists because I run into the same
problem - since PB isn't a Micro$oft supported language. If there was a huge
public list of programmers it would be a great help.

Richard

Quote:
> Sorry Michael,

> >> I think i misinterpreted it completely..

> >I think so , too.

> >MCM

Mon, 17 Nov 2003 07:02:35 GMT
 PB Consultants' List
Richard (and Michael),

PowerBASIC, Inc. do maintain a list of consultants.  The list covers
consultants world-wide.  For reasons of privacy, we do not publish the
list publically, rather we refer genuine enquirers to the "most
suitable" consultants based upon the type/size of the project, etc.

Requests for contact information for consultants are always welcome.
Simply address your request (along with a brief description of the

I hope this helps and explains matters more clearly!

PS: If you'd like to volunteer for the consultants list, please feel
free to tell PowerBASIC about yourself, your areas of expertise,
rates, etc.  We are always looking for people to add to the list.

Quote:

>Michael,

>If PowerBASIC.com doesn't have a list or doesn't plan to build a list,
>then I wouldn't mind putting up an unofficial ASP web site for PowerBASIC
>programmers. Would put this at www.rgsoftware.com/PowerBASIC/
>Someone please let me if this already exists because I run into the same
>problem - since PB isn't a Micro$oft supported language. If there was a huge
>public list of programmers it would be a great help.

>Richard

>> Sorry Michael,

>> >I think so , too.

>> >MCM

Lance
PowerBASIC Support

Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:58:00 GMT
 PB Consultants' List
Well, that's two opinions on whether or not PB maintains a list. I related
my experiences trying to get some names, and said experience sucked liquid
waste products.

Your 'for reasons of privacy', is, frankly, one of the most pathetic
attempts at an excuse I have ever seen.  Real consultants advertise. Not
only that, but when PowerBASIC originally solicited names and addresses,
etc, the EXPRESS PURPOSE was to 'post' the list. Since that never happened,
I decided if I want such a list to exist, I'll have to do the work.

Again, my main reason for starting this up was,

"I was looking forward to having a good list available, as one of the
questions which always comes up when I am talking to prospects is, "What if
you get hit by a bus during this project. What do we do then? If you wrote
in (major brand-name BASIC language product from major Redmond WA software
vendor), we know we could find someone to finish the project, but what the
(major place of eternal non-rest for sinners) is this "PowerBASIC"
product?""

I already have one host site volunteer, and one consultant in addition to
myself. I think we need five or six MINIMUM consultants to make this work.

So, if you're a PB consultant  (full-time or moonlighter) interested in
publicly advertising your services, please drop me an e-mail and we'll go
from there.

--
Michael Mattias
Tal Systems

Quote:
> Richard (and Michael),

> PowerBASIC, Inc. do maintain a list of consultants.  The list covers
> consultants world-wide.  For reasons of privacy, we do not publish the
> list publically, rather we refer genuine enquirers to the "most
> suitable" consultants based upon the type/size of the project, etc.

> Requests for contact information for consultants are always welcome.
> Simply address your request (along with a brief description of the

> I hope this helps and explains matters more clearly!

> PS: If you'd like to volunteer for the consultants list, please feel
> free to tell PowerBASIC about yourself, your areas of expertise,
> rates, etc.  We are always looking for people to add to the list.

> >Michael,

> >If PowerBASIC.com doesn't have a list or doesn't plan to build a list,
> >then I wouldn't mind putting up an unofficial ASP web site for PowerBASIC
> >programmers. Would put this at www.rgsoftware.com/PowerBASIC/
> >Someone please let me if this already exists because I run into the same
> >problem - since PB isn't a Micro$oft supported language. If there was a
huge
> >public list of programmers it would be a great help.

> >Richard

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 02:21:50 GMT
 PB Consultants' List
Could be because there are so few consultants that they are a little shy? :)

--
Egbert Nierop

Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:25:58 GMT
 PB Consultants' List
Definitely not!  <smile>

Quote:

>Could be because there are so few consultants that they are a little shy? :)
>Egbert Nierop

Lance
PowerBASIC Support

Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:03:54 GMT
 PB Consultants' List

Quote:

>Could be because there are so few consultants that they are a little shy? :)

There are a lot of words one could use to describe PB programmers but 'shy'
ain't one of'em.

--
C'ya,

  Don Schullian
www.DASoftVSS.com
www.basicguru.com

Thu, 27 Nov 2003 15:53:15 GMT
 PB Consultants' List

Quote:

> >Could be because there are so few consultants that they are a little shy?
:)

> There are a lot of words one could use to describe PB programmers but
'shy'
> ain't one of'em.

For those who have not seen the whole thread, a couple of weeks ago I posted
a request to build a publicly-available non-PB-sponsored (and non-PB
controlled!) list of of PB consultants. For convenience, I here is an
updated version:

=====
PowerBASIC Consultants

Since at least 1999, PowerBASIC, Inc. has been saying they will (do?)
provide a list of PB consultants , and has several times solicited
[...]

would be promoting your competition, but surely someone either has or knows
of a site which might be suitable. (I think?)

Anyone with any interest in this either post, or feel free to send
off-newsgroup e-mail directly to me.  (Also any ideas on a 'standard format'
which might be used for an announcement).

-------

SAMPLE CONSULTANT SUMMARY (Real data) (but a little outdated; I created this
document last time I complied with PB's request, which was 12/15/99).

Name......... Michael C. Mattias
              dba Tal Systems
Address...... 5329 Charles St.
              Racine WI 53402-2119
Phone........ (xxx) xxx-xxxx
Fax.......... none

Costs........ Negotiable, per-project. Will provide design, code
              and documentation separately if desired.

Languages.... PowerBASIC 3.x/DOS
              PowerBASIC/Windows DLL/EXE (16 and 32 bit) and PB/CC
              Microsoft DOS BASICs
              COBOL (OS/VS, Microfocus PC/Unix, COBOL/390, more)

Specialties.. ANSI X.12 and EDIFACT EDI translation, mapping and
              application integration; design; data management.
              Twenty-plus years sales/service/executive experience
              in manufacturing/distribution industries. Additional
              niche specialty in Health Care EDI.
              Complete documentation and client list available.

 =================

Update 6/10/01...

Well, while I have received now TWO offers to host a site, I still only have
the same number (TWO) of consultants who have expressed interest in creating
a "publicly available list."

So, if you're a PB consultant  (full-time or moonlighter) interested in
publicly advertising your services, please drop me an e-mail and we'll go
from there.

--
Michael Mattias
Tal Systems
Racine WI USA

Thu, 27 Nov 2003 21:25:40 GMT
 PB Consultants' List
Michael, I don't recall seeing your request on the PowerBASIC free BBS
- a place where a huge number of PowerBASIC programmers visit every
day... that would surely be the best place to ask consultants to come
forward? 8-)

The Free PowerBASIC web BBS can be found at:
http://www.powerbasic.com/support/forums/Ultimate.cgi

Quote:

>For those who have not seen the whole thread, a couple of weeks ago I posted
>a request to build a publicly-available non-PB-sponsored (and non-PB
>controlled!) list of of PB consultants. For convenience, I here is an
>updated version:

...snip...
Lance
PowerBASIC Support

Thu, 27 Nov 2003 22:47:40 GMT
 PB Consultants' List

Quote:
> Michael, I don't recall seeing your request on the PowerBASIC free BBS
> - a place where a huge number of PowerBASIC programmers visit every
> day... that would surely be the best place to ask consultants to come
> forward? 8-)

You know, I thought I had, but I guess I didn't. (Must have got a phone call
or something).

I'll get one posted over there later this week, updated so that people don't
need to piece together multiple messages.

Maybe I'll add a "get email addresses for participating PB-BBS participants
at this site", since PB never installed the promised BBS software which
allowed them to *selectively* offer e-mail addresses on  the "profile"
pages.

And even though I do not believe it, I'll add that part about "PB
privacy/security concerns" to the text. (What I believe is that you just
never got around to it).

MCM

Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:46:34 GMT
 PB Consultants' List

Quote:
> Maybe I'll add a "get email addresses for participating PB-BBS
participants
> at this site", since PB never installed the promised BBS software which
> allowed them to *selectively* offer e-mail addresses on  the "profile"
> pages.

Michael, we've covered this ground before. You're being disingenous, at
best. As you know, our BBS software itself has always allowed selective
publishing of email addresses. This facility was removed as a matter of
company policy when it became apparent that spammers were harvesting email
addresses from our forums. No promises have ever been made that the email
profile facility would be restored. Also as you know, it is perfectly simple
to set up your email address as part of your default BBS signature if you
really want to make it public.

Tue, 02 Dec 2003 06:49:13 GMT

 [ 23 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. PB Consultants - Help Wanted/ HIPAA

2. PB Contractors, Consultants wanted

3. Pb with 'Write and 'Read consistency

4. Ratio between agent's share and consultant's share

5. don't make smalltalk discussion group into consultant hunter's group

6. Top Ten Consultants' DON'Ts

7. Top Ten Consultants' DON'Ts

8. Ratio between agent's share and consultant's share

9. PB 3.5 Reserved Words List?

10. new JA 'CE' for PB/DLL, PB/CC OpenBeta3

11. PB 3.2.PB/Vision 2.0 Timerinstallcode.Shared Arrays

12. MX Lookup with PB/CC or PB/DLL