USB Printer
Author Message
 USB Printer

Hi,

I have a USB-interfaced printer on my PC (running Win98). From a
Windows program, it appears as LPTUSB1 (no colon!) and I can select it
as the print device. But from within PB3.5 or PBCC, using this as an
output  device name, with or without the colon, just opens a file of
that name, and doesn't send anything to the printer.

We haven't found any way to assign a regular LPTn: name to this
printer.

Any idea on how to open this printer in either version of powerbasic?

Thanks,

John

Sun, 16 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 USB Printer
In order to use LPRINT in PB/DOS or PB/CC, you'll have to "capture" a
port.  Either the printer driver's Properties dialog will offer a way
to do that, or if you are using NT/2000, you can drop to a DOS box,
and use the command-line NET.EXE, ie:

NET USE LPT1: \\pcname\printername /YES

Other than that, you'll have to use the Windows Printing System to do
the work.  You can do this with PB/CC but not with PB/DOS.  If you
feel like learning how to do this (and it is much more complicated
than using LPRINT), then most Windows programming books like Charles
Petzold's "Programming Windows" or Rector/Newcomer's
"Win32 Programming" explain the concepts well.  There are some
examples available on the PowerBASIC web BBS site too.. search for
"StartDoc".

http://www.powerbasic.com/support/forums/Ultimate.cgi

Now, if you are looking for an easier solution, you may wish to look
at my DOSPRINT utility... it can be used with PB/DOS app's and PB/CC
app's too (and PB/DLL if you want!), although I also have a library
called DLLPRINT specifically for PB/CC and PB/DLL.

www.amerimports.com/dosprint

Regards,

Lance
(Author, DOSPRINT & DLLPRINT)

Quote:
>Hi,

>I have a USB-interfaced printer on my PC (running Win98). From a
>Windows program, it appears as LPTUSB1 (no colon!) and I can select it
>as the print device. But from within PB3.5 or PBCC, using this as an
>output  device name, with or without the colon, just opens a file of
>that name, and doesn't send anything to the printer.

>We haven't found any way to assign a regular LPTn: name to this
>printer.

>Any idea on how to open this printer in either version of PowerBasic?

>Thanks,

>John

Mon, 17 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 USB Printer
Lance,

thanks for the advice.

We've finally come up with a solution: buy a $200 used IBM 486 color
laptop, hook it to the printer, and sneakernet the listings to it on
floppies. After trying two different Pci parallel port cards, and one
USB printer adapter, and spending about 12 hours trying to get LPT2:
to work, this turns out to be the most sensible way to give Win98 the
printer functionality that Win95 (and DOS) used to have.

John

Thu, 20 Feb 2003 05:40:10 GMT
 USB Printer

Quote:

> We've finally come up with a solution: buy a $200 used IBM 486 color
> laptop, hook it to the printer, and sneakernet the listings to it on
> floppies. After trying two different Pci parallel port cards, and one
> USB printer adapter, and spending about 12 hours trying to get LPT2:
> to work, this turns out to be the most sensible way to give Win98 the
> printer functionality that Win95 (and DOS) used to have.

If you had a doller for every such instance of losing capability that
we used to have under DOS, you could retire to Tahiti. :-)
--

Sun Valley Systems    http://www.sunvaley.com

Sat, 22 Feb 2003 22:49:32 GMT

1. DOS printing to USB printer?

2. Problems with RPM and USB printers?

3. usb printer

4. Print with USB printer

5. USB Printers

6. USB Printer

7. USB printer connection

8. usb printer

9. USB Printers and Clipper 5.x

10. NET USE LPT1: to local USB printer (again)

11. USB printer

12. Clipper and that $#$%# USB printer