A MUD in QBasic
Author Message
 A MUD in QBasic

Greetings.

I just started on a rather ambitious (for me at least :) project.
I'm trying to make a 2 player (modem-to-modem) text based
adventure/role playing game in QBasic.  I have a couple of problems.

First, I'm not sure how to store the data for the game world.  Should
I create a seperate file for each "room" in the game, or should I
put it all into a single large file?  This is probably a stupid
question.

And second, does anybody know where I can find anything written in
QBasic that might give me some ideas on how to do the modem code?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Brennen Bearnes

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 09 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A MUD in QBasic

says...

Quote:

>Greetings.

>I just started on a rather ambitious (for me at least :) project.
>I'm trying to make a 2 player (modem-to-modem) text based
>adventure/role playing game in QBasic.  I have a couple of problems.

>First, I'm not sure how to store the data for the game world.  Should
>I create a seperate file for each "room" in the game, or should I
>put it all into a single large file?  This is probably a stupid
>question.

>And second, does anybody know where I can find anything written in
>QBasic that might give me some ideas on how to do the modem code?

>Any help will be much appreciated.

>Brennen Bearnes

>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/8994/

        To answer your question, I feel that you should store the data
for each room in separate files. This allows people to edit room easier
and makes the debugging process eaiser.

Fri, 09 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A MUD in QBasic

I would say you should go learn Pascal Because It can make bigger exe files, and though it may need the block command it is really powerful
(compared to qbasic)
--
A FISH!   *
           *
|           \
|/\_____/__\/
       /_/

Fri, 09 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A MUD in QBasic

Quote:

>And second, does anybody know where I can find anything written in
>QBasic that might give me some ideas on how to do the modem code?

Hi BB!

1) I wrote a BBS programm called EBBS years ago. I seem to recall it
is on the powerbasic web site, or Perhaps Dave Navarro's. It;s
freeware/PD these days, but teh COM routien examples should be enough
to get your going.

2) Also, let me point out that in MY opinion, PB3x is best suited for
writing serial applications, It INHERENTLY supports COM1-4, 115k max
baud, and auto 16550 initializing.

Otherwise, you'll have to to a bit mroe work to get this support for
QB4x/PDS7x or use a 3rd party library.

Good luck, Ep
Ed Parry - Southern California, USA

Sun, 11 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A MUD in QBasic

Hello Brennen!

 Bb> I just started on a rather ambitious (for me at least :) project.
 Bb> I'm trying to make a 2 player (modem-to-modem) text based
 Bb> adventure/role playing game in QBasic.  I have a couple of problems.
 Bb> First, I'm not sure how to store the data for the game world.  Should
 Bb> I create a seperate file for each "room" in the game, or should I
 Bb> put it all into a single large file?  This is probably a stupid
 Bb> question.
 Bb> And second, does anybody know where I can find anything written in
 Bb> QBasic that might give me some ideas on how to do the modem code?
 Bb> Any help will be much appreciated.

First, if you are talking about QBasic, and not QuickBASIC, you
can't access the modem because you can't use interrupts or LIB's.

Bye,
 Peace,
Eran Meuhas t iSWA BBS SysGOD t SuperWare WHQ t PowerNET RING_D t HKS ?
???????????????????????????????????????????[ ! ?? €? ,PowerNet €? ]???
... First Maxim of Computers
... To err is human, but to really{*filter*}things up requires a computer.
??? SuperEDiT v1.70 [REG'ED: The Author]
--- FMail/386 1.02
 * Origin: iSWA BBS t SuperWare WHQ t +972-3-6730436 t 1GB t 24H (23:600/600)

Sun, 11 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A MUD in QBasic

RG>>First, if you are talking about QBasic, and not QuickBASIC, you
RG>>can't access the modem because you can't use interrupts or LIB's.

The person above doesn't know what he is talking about. All you need to
write a program that supports com ports 1 to 4 at bps rates above 19200
is the INP, OUT, PEEK, and POKE commands. All of which QBASIC
supports... Besides, even if you DID need interrupts, you can emulate
the CALL INTERRUPT command in QBASIC by using CALL ABSOLUTE.

Tue, 13 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A MUD in QBasic

Quote:

>Hello Brennen!
> Bb> I just started on a rather ambitious (for me at least :) project.
> Bb> I'm trying to make a 2 player (modem-to-modem) text based
> Bb> adventure/role playing game in QBasic.  I have a couple of problems.
> Bb> First, I'm not sure how to store the data for the game world.  Should
> Bb> I create a seperate file for each "room" in the game, or should I
> Bb> put it all into a single large file?  This is probably a stupid
> Bb> question.
> Bb> And second, does anybody know where I can find anything written in
> Bb> QBasic that might give me some ideas on how to do the modem code?
> Bb> Any help will be much appreciated.
>First, if you are talking about QBasic, and not QuickBASIC, you
>can't access the modem because you can't use interrupts or LIB's.

Well, I have written a modem program in QBasic(not QuickBASIC) that
supprts: 19200 baud, com 1 & 2 and ansi graphics, but with no
upload/download support.
Quote:
>Bye,
> Peace,
> Eran Meuhas t iSWA BBS SysGOD t SuperWare WHQ t PowerNET RING_D t HKS ?
>???????????????????????????????????????????[ ! ?? €? ,PowerNet €? ]???
>... First Maxim of Computers
>... To err is human, but to really{*filter*}things up requires a computer.
>??? SuperEDiT v1.70 [REG'ED: The Author]
>--- FMail/386 1.02
> * Origin: iSWA BBS t SuperWare WHQ t +972-3-6730436 t 1GB t 24H (23:600/600)

Tue, 13 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A MUD in QBasic

 >> First, if you are talking about QBasic, and not QuickBASIC, you
 >> can't access the modem because you can't use interrupts or LIB's.
 r> Well, I have written a modem program in QBasic(not QuickBASIC) that
 r> supprts: 19200 baud, com 1 & 2 and ansi graphics, but with no
 r> upload/download support.

Maybe with OPEN COM or something like that, otherwise you can't
call any interrupts (or fossil for this matter), or any machine
code... besides, 19200 baud on com 1 & 2 is not enough.

Leave QBasic, get QuickBASIC/PowerBASIC/other shareware compilers.

Bye,
 Peace,
Eran Meuhas t iSWA BBS SysGOD t SuperWare WHQ t PowerNET RING_D t HKS ?
???????????????????????????????????????????[ ! ?? €? ,PowerNet €? ]???
... Boren's First Law
... When in doubt, mumble.
??? SuperEDiT v1.70 [REG'ED: The Author]
--- FMail/386 1.02
 * Origin: iSWA BBS t SuperWare WHQ t +972-3-6730436 t 1GB t 24H (23:600/600)

Thu, 15 Apr 1999 02:00:00 GMT
 A MUD in QBasic

 >> First, if you are talking about QBasic, and not QuickBASIC, you
 >> can't access the modem because you can't use interrupts or LIB's.
 r> Well, I have written a modem program in QBasic(not QuickBASIC) that
 r> supprts: 19200 baud, com 1 & 2 and ansi graphics, but with no
 r> upload/download support.

Maybe with OPEN COM or something like that, otherwise you can't
call any interrupts (or fossil for this matter), or any machine
code... besides, 19200 baud on com 1 & 2 is not enough.

Leave QBasic, get QuickBASIC/PowerBASIC/other shareware compilers.

Bye,
 Peace,
Eran Meuhas t iSWA BBS SysGOD t SuperWare WHQ t PowerNET RING_D t HKS ?
???????????????????????????????????????????[ ! ?? €? ,PowerNet €? ]???
... Boren's First Law
... When in doubt, mumble.
??? SuperEDiT v1.70 [REG'ED: The Author]
--- FMail/386 1.02
 * Origin: iSWA BBS t SuperWare WHQ t +972-3-6730436 t 1GB t 24H (23:600/600)

Thu, 15 Apr 1999 02:00:00 GMT
 A MUD in QBasic

: Greetings.

: First, I'm not sure how to store the data for the game world.  Should
: I create a seperate file for each "room" in the game, or should I
: put it all into a single large file?  This is probably a stupid
: question.

: And second, does anybody know where I can find anything written in
: QBasic that might give me some ideas on how to do the modem code?

Depending on how much information you want to store you could either use a
database or separate files.  Both have their advantages.

As one person pointed out, using separate files will mean easier editing
and debugging.  On the other hand, you now have to parse those files.

Using a database means that all the information will be structured.  This
can make the parsing of the information easier but also limits expansion.

I think the first thing you need to do is decide what type of game you're
creating.  Is this going to be a "Roam around a world and pick-up objects
and kill monsters" type of game or will players be able to actually create
their own little worlds in your MUD?

LPMud has it's own programming language.  In order to create anything you
need to define objects in separate files.  These files contain the code
that drives the MUD engine.

Then there is also a MOO type MUD which is more like a giant database of
objects.  Each object has verbs which it will recognize and again there is
a language that is associated with those verbs.

As far as the comm routines, I'd say those are the least of your worries.
You can use a fossil driver and make direct calls to the driver to access
any com port and interrupt you can think of.  Another good option, if you
have QB4.5 is the QBSERIAL routines.  These allow you to access any com
port and interrupt at any baud up to 57600.

So the big question is: How will this game work? Hard coded? or Buildable
World?

Mike Stone

Sun, 18 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A MUD in QBasic

Wasn't RBBS written in QB?  That would have some great examples if it
was.  I know *some* BBS was ... I think it was RBBS.

Robert

: >Hello Brennen!

: > Bb> I just started on a rather ambitious (for me at least :) project.
: > Bb> I'm trying to make a 2 player (modem-to-modem) text based
: > Bb> adventure/role playing game in QBasic.  I have a couple of problems.
: > Bb> First, I'm not sure how to store the data for the game world.  Should
: > Bb> I create a seperate file for each "room" in the game, or should I
: > Bb> put it all into a single large file?  This is probably a stupid
: > Bb> question.
: > Bb> And second, does anybody know where I can find anything written in
: > Bb> QBasic that might give me some ideas on how to do the modem code?
: > Bb> Any help will be much appreciated.

: >First, if you are talking about QBasic, and not QuickBASIC, you
: >can't access the modem because you can't use interrupts or LIB's.

: Well, I have written a modem program in QBasic(not QuickBASIC) that
: supprts: 19200 baud, com 1 & 2 and ansi graphics, but with no
: upload/download support.

: >Bye,
: > Peace,
: > Eran Meuhas t iSWA BBS SysGOD t SuperWare WHQ t PowerNET RING_D t HKS ?
: >???????????????????????????????????????????[ ! ?? €? ,PowerNet €? ]???
: >... First Maxim of Computers
: >... To err is human, but to really{*filter*}things up requires a computer.
: >??? SuperEDiT v1.70 [REG'ED: The Author]
: >--- FMail/386 1.02
: > * Origin: iSWA BBS t SuperWare WHQ t +972-3-6730436 t 1GB t 24H (23:600/600)

--
 .-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.

 | Computer Science & Psychology - http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;  [KaNiN] |
 `-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-.-_-'

For every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill.
                -- R. Clopton

Sun, 18 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Getting Text from a MUD

2. mud

3. MUD Client in Visual Basic - source code available

4. MUD client in VB... help

5. MUD in VB

6. NEWBIE: my wheels are stuck in the mud

7. VB for graphical MUD

8. Building A Windows Based Mud/Databases/Internet

9. WIndows MUD-Database-SQL-IPDAEMON.VBX

10. ANSI Text Box, Mud Client, IPPort.vbx

11. MUD implementation in VB

12. QBasic Homepage With All Cool QBasic Goodies