IDEA: Project to help new people to VB
Author Message
 IDEA: Project to help new people to VB

I have an idea that would be beneficial for a _LOT_ of people.

What I propose is that a group of people get together and write a sample
program that shows how to use the most commonly asked about features.
Make it entirely freeware, or even public domain, with full source code.

I'm not talking about undertaking a massive project, but rather
compilable, working code snippets that will perform the most commonly
asked functions (beyond what the FAQ offers).  For example, my previous
post about the form with the ability to receive dropped icons, and move
icons around within the form.  If someone knows how to do this or has
done it, maybe throw together a quick packet that would actually run with
no extra modifications.  Then when others have a question on doing this,
they can look at this code and see how it runs and learn from that...

I know there have been several times when I have wished there was some
actual working code I could play with to figure something out when I was
having problems with some of my code...

Is this not a good idea?  More trouble than its worth?  I'm curious to
see what others think.

I'm willing to set up and work on this as much as I can, contributing the
few things I've picked up and to get the ball rolling, if others would be
willing to volunteer some code as well.

If others are willing, then I propose the distribution be such that the
entire package is free, but _NOT_ public domain.   Each contributor
retains the copyright for their code and so on, with permission granted
to others to use the code in their programs as long as the author is
given credit somewhere in the end user's final product.

Greg

Tue, 08 Apr 1997 00:17:48 GMT
 IDEA: Project to help new people to VB

Quote:
>I have an idea that would be beneficial for a _LOT_ of people.
>What I propose is that a group of people get together and write a sample
>program that shows how to use the most commonly asked about features.
>Make it entirely freeware, or even public domain, with full source code.
>I'm not talking about undertaking a massive project, but rather
>compilable, working code snippets that will perform the most commonly
>asked functions (beyond what the FAQ offers).  For example, my previous

Great idea! It might be an idea to make it a collection of small programs
with a hypertext intro/tutorial written in Winhelp to help people find
the example code they want, and giving some background about how Windows
works to help people understand why they have to do something.
I'll be happy to provide code for the project, but will have to restrict
my input to things relating to what I'm working on at the time due to
pressure of work.

Niall Barr, Zoology TILT Project, University of Glasgow, Scotland.

Wed, 09 Apr 1997 18:59:42 GMT
 IDEA: Project to help new people to VB

Quote:

>I have an idea that would be beneficial for a _LOT_ of people.

[kerchomp]

I think this would be a good thing to have.  I'll volunteer to do the {*filter*} ol'
GetPrivateProfileString section.  Greg, get back to us on whether this is
going to fly or not.  Are you going to put it together, etc?

Brad

Fri, 11 Apr 1997 23:53:55 GMT
 IDEA: Project to help new people to VB

Quote:

>Subject: Re: IDEA:  Project to help new people to VB
>Date: 24 Oct 1994 15:53:55 GMT

>>I have an idea that would be beneficial for a _LOT_ of people.
>[kerchomp]
>I think this would be a good thing to have.  I'll volunteer to do the {*filter*} ol'
>GetPrivateProfileString section.  Greg, get back to us on whether this is
>going to fly or not.  Are you going to put it together, etc?
>Brad

PMFJI - Have you heard about the on-line VB Study Group that's forming;  its
looking for books &/or projects ??     Its on the VBPJ forum on Compuserve.
Just thought I'd mention it in case you have access and might want to drop by
and discuss your project.       Later

Sun, 13 Apr 1997 05:00:52 GMT
 IDEA: Project to help new people to VB
: I have an idea that would be beneficial for a _LOT_ of people.

: What I propose is that a group of people get together and write a sample
: program that shows how to use the most commonly asked about features.
: Make it entirely freeware, or even public domain, with full source code.

I'll glad to do this. Please told me if these is anything I could do.
I have used VB for more than 2 years, and make some language learning
CD Title. So I think I could offer some source about MCI or  so.
                                        Paul May

Sun, 13 Apr 1997 21:31:38 GMT
 IDEA: Project to help new people to VB

Quote:

>PMFJI - Have you heard about the on-line VB Study Group that's forming;  its
>looking for books &/or projects ??     Its on the VBPJ forum on Compuserve.

Are these things forwarded to Usenet here on the Internet?  If not, why not?

Cheers,  Ian S.

--

c/- P.O. Box 1054 MAREEBA          Phone  : +61 (0)70 921 555 Home 924 847
Queensland Australia 4880            Fax  : +61 (0)70 923 593   "   "   "

Sun, 13 Apr 1997 19:03:24 GMT
 IDEA: Project to help new people to VB

Quote:

> >Subject: Re: IDEA:  Project to help new people to VB

> PMFJI - Have you heard about the on-line VB Study Group that's forming;  its
> looking for books &/or projects ??     Its on the VBPJ forum on Compuserve.
> Just thought I'd mention it in case you have access and might want to drop by
> and discuss your project.       Later

Sounds great, only problem, I don't get on compuserve.

Thanks for mentioning it..

Greg

Sun, 13 Apr 1997 16:27:06 GMT
 IDEA: Project to help new people to VB
: I have an idea that would be beneficial for a _LOT_ of people.

: What I propose is that a group of people get together and write a sample
: program that shows how to use the most commonly asked about features.
: Make it entirely freeware, or even public domain, with full source code.

Ah, a "stone-soup group" type project! I considered starting a VB game
in this forum similar in nature to this thought, but haven't had the time
to write some "starting code" :(

If you get something going I'd be happy to submit some multimedia type
routines. Dunno what to suggest as a call for submissions or how to
make it available to everyone, many of us (myself in particular) don't
have ftp access - perhaps if a subject with the title "VBPROJECT" were
to be posted from time to time? Just an idea...

- Galen -

Mon, 14 Apr 1997 06:41:27 GMT
 IDEA: Project to help new people to VB

Quote:
> If you get something going I'd be happy to submit some multimedia type
> routines. Dunno what to suggest as a call for submissions or how to
> make it available to everyone, many of us (myself in particular) don't
> have ftp access - perhaps if a subject with the title "VBPROJECT" were
> to be posted from time to time? Just an idea...

Ahhh, you seem to know something.
I'm a VBDOS programmer and for my next project I want to do some multimedia so
I think VBWin would be a better choice, here's what I want to know about
programming VBWin:

Sound: how easy is it to play samples and music (midi will do)
(I'd just like some music in the background with the odd sample in the
forground)

DLLs: I know stuff all about DLLs but I get the impression they are like
LIBs for QB & VBDOS.

I'll need fast bitmap decompression routines, GIF or similar would do fine,
I'd like to be able to play FLICs aswell.

I assume VBWin doesn't support GIF & FLC (or similar), what about DLLs to do it?

Any info is appreciated.

Mon, 14 Apr 1997 10:55:42 GMT
 IDEA: Project to help new people to VB

Quote:
>>PMFJI - Have you heard about the on-line VB Study Group that's forming;  its
>>looking for books &/or projects ??     Its on the VBPJ forum on Compuserve.
>Are these things forwarded to Usenet here on the Internet?  If not, why not?

Because whenever Robert comes around he gets flamed.

Chuck Stuart
Mesquite TX USA
Contract Programmer.
Author of VBTrace, runtime VB Trace/Profile/XRef utility.

Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:47:15 GMT
 IDEA: Project to help new people to VB

Quote:

>I have an idea that would be beneficial for a _LOT_ of people.

>What I propose is that a group of people get together and write a sample
>program that shows how to use the most commonly asked about features.
>Make it entirely freeware, or even public domain, with full source code.

This is a fantastic idea!  Actually, for a while now I've been
toying with the idea of doing our FAQ in the hypertext .HLP
format so everyone could just download it right from here and then
cut and paste from it (just like VB Tips and Tricks or the KB).
I know I would have *loved* that when I first started learning
VB and I'm sure that others could benefit from it now.  A
hypertexted FAQ would help relieve a lot of the repeated newbie
questions that appear like clockwork.  You've got to make it
convenient for them to use before they'll use it.  Clicking
an icon is much easier and quicker than logging onto the
Internet, then calling up news, then getting the vb group...
Unfortunately, I wasted a lot of time with the ever-buggy
VB Helpwriter trying to get a descent .hlp to compile without
much success.  So I'm back at square number 1: writing the code
my own self.  If anything comes of, I'll let everyone know ;-)

                Still trying...
                        Shawn

Wed, 09 Apr 1997 01:10:55 GMT
 IDEA: Project to help new people to VB
: > If you get something going I'd be happy to submit some multimedia type
: > routines. Dunno what to suggest as a call for submissions or how to
: > make it available to everyone, many of us (myself in particular) don't
: > have ftp access - perhaps if a subject with the title "VBPROJECT" were
: > to be posted from time to time? Just an idea...

: Ahhh, you seem to know something.
: I'm a VBDOS programmer and for my next project I want to do some multimedia so
: I think VBWin would be a better choice, here's what I want to know about
: programming VBWin:

: Sound: how easy is it to play samples and music (midi will do)
: (I'd just like some music in the background with the odd sample in the
: forground)

Very easily.  Tehre's a control in VB Pro that will do this for you with very
little effort.

: DLLs: I know stuff all about DLLs but I get the impression they are like
: LIBs for QB & VBDOS.

Right.  They're like shared libraries.

: I'll need fast bitmap decompression routines, GIF or similar would do fine,
: I'd like to be able to play FLICs aswell.

: I assume VBWin doesn't support GIF & FLC (or similar), what about DLLs to do it?

I've got the Borland Visual Solutions Pack - it has VBX's to do extensive
image manipulation on BMP, DIB, TGA, and PCX files.
--

                       ** PGP encrypted email preferred! **

"What's the use of distant travel if only to discover - you're homeless in

Tue, 15 Apr 1997 14:32:25 GMT
 IDEA: Project to help new people to VB
: > If you get something going I'd be happy to submit some multimedia type
: > routines. Dunno what to suggest as a call for submissions or how to
: > make it available to everyone, many of us (myself in particular) don't
: > have ftp access - perhaps if a subject with the title "VBPROJECT" were
: > to be posted from time to time? Just an idea...

: Ahhh, you seem to know something.

Nah!

: Sound: how easy is it to play samples and music (midi will do)
: (I'd just like some music in the background with the odd sample in the
: forground)

Easy - two choices: Pro versions of VBWIN have an MCI control that makes
this a snap. You can also write a few fairly trivial routines to do this
yourself.

: I'll need fast bitmap decompression routines, GIF or similar would do fine,
: I'd like to be able to play FLICs aswell.

: I assume VBWin doesn't support GIF & FLC (or similar), what about DLLs to do it?

VB doesn't have "built-in" support. Autodesk has a driver for Windows that
adds FLI/FLC support to the Windows Media Player. Once the driver is
installed then you can easily access it via the MCI control. The drivers are
available freely via ftp from CICA and a number of other sites. An add-in VBX
is available for GIF support (one is included on the disk that comes with
the book "VB How-To" by the Waite Group Press).

Wed, 16 Apr 1997 06:09:43 GMT
 IDEA: Project to help new people to VB

Quote:

> >>PMFJI - Have you heard about the on-line VB Study Group that's forming;  its
> >>looking for books &/or projects ??     Its on the VBPJ forum on Compuserve.
> >Are these things forwarded to Usenet here on the Internet?  If not, why not?
> Because whenever Robert comes around he gets flamed.

I only saw flames from one particular idiot from AOL,
or did I miss something? (Hmm, time to clean out my
killfile, perhaps?)

--

Systems Mangler/Head Geek/Top Jolt {*filter*}, BFTSI

Thu, 17 Apr 1997 09:15:00 GMT

1. Any ideas for a high school VB project which highlights the features of VB

2. resources for new people learning VB

3. IRC, #Visualbasic, RippDogg and People Helping People

4. I am working on cool project, looking for creative idea to help

5. VB project Ideas

6. New Ideas = New Features?

7. New Idea--need help

8. NEW NEW NEW Project...

9. VB.NET - New Project - Form1.VB - ERROR: EnvDTR, or one of its dependencies, was not found

10. New Project: VB or VB.NET

11. New Project: VB or VB.NET

12. VB project, iam new to vb