Microsoft Delta - ANYBODY OUT THERE?
Author Message
 Microsoft Delta - ANYBODY OUT THERE?

Am wondering if anybody has had experience with the Microsoft Delta Product.

According to their documentation; this product is supposed to provide

Questions:
1) Is this product MULTI-USER:
   (ie: do we have to buy ONE copy of their system PER workstation?)

2) Does this product WORK?!
   (ie: order the items in the .MAK file correctly [big problem])

3) Does this product support Windows For WorkGroups and/or Novell?
   How well?!

Basically, does anybody have any exposure to this product?

(As an interesting sideline; it appears that Microsoft themselves don't
quite have a handle on what this product is...  We spent about about an
hour and a half today trying to get ANY information about this product;
(even getting the name was a minor triumph).)

We called Microsoft's FAX-Back server; and the information they sent back
is dated July 1993.  (with product version v1.0)

Does anybody have any good/bad experiences with this program, or ANY other
suggestions for revision control using VisualBasic/Windows over a networked
group of programmers?  (I *have* looked at the RCS155AX.ZIP file and found
it abysmal for support under windows)

Pointers to ANY information pertaining to this subject (programming VB apps
and/or RCS under the Windows environment) would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Sun, 29 Dec 1996 06:53:15 GMT
 Microsoft Delta - ANYBODY OUT THERE?

Quote:
Moen) writes:

I don't know too much about it, but this is what I do know:

1.  Delta is not language specific.  It works with ASCII files and
monitors the      changes that way.

2.  As far as I know Delta is still at 1.0.

Thats about all I can tell you.......

Brett

Mon, 30 Dec 1996 22:36:02 GMT
 Microsoft Delta - ANYBODY OUT THERE?
: Am wondering if anybody has had experience with the Microsoft Delta Product.

: According to their documentation; this product is supposed to provide

: Questions:
: 1) Is this product MULTI-USER:
:    (ie: do we have to buy ONE copy of their system PER workstation?)

Yes, it's multi-user.  Yes, ya gotta buy 1 copy per W/S.

: 2) Does this product WORK?!
:    (ie: order the items in the .MAK file correctly [big problem])

huh?  I use it for C++, mainly...  a vcs shouldn't have to worry about
ordering things "correctly"-- it just archives files and/or deltas to files.

: 3) Does this product support Windows For WorkGroups and/or Novell?
:    How well?!

I use it on novell.  What's well?

: Basically, does anybody have any exposure to this product?

yup.

: (As an interesting sideline; it appears that Microsoft themselves don't
: quite have a handle on what this product is...  We spent about about an
: hour and a half today trying to get ANY information about this product;
: (even getting the name was a minor triumph).)

: We called Microsoft's FAX-Back server; and the information they sent back
: is dated July 1993.  (with product version v1.0)

it's still 1.0.  Rumore (net lore) has it that MS will never update it;
that their in-house developers despise it; that it makes ya go blind...

It cost me $99 per copy, so it was the cheapest way (at that time) to get
a dozen users up & running.  I'd have preferred to go with PVCS, but
their Windows interface was (then) atrocious, and I couldn't afford to
hire a nearly full-time PVCS guru to handhold our non-vcs cognizant
programmers.  Delta had a SHORT learning curve.

--

Mon, 30 Dec 1996 14:06:25 GMT
 Microsoft Delta - ANYBODY OUT THERE?

[...snip...]

Quote:
>: Questions:
>: 1) Is this product MULTI-USER:
>:    (ie: do we have to buy ONE copy of their system PER workstation?)
>Yes, it's multi-user.  Yes, ya gotta buy 1 copy per W/S.

At $499.99 per workstation; that's a pretty pricey investment!

Quote:
>: 2) Does this product WORK?!
>:    (ie: order the items in the .MAK file correctly [big problem])
>huh?  I use it for C++, mainly...  a vcs shouldn't have to worry about
>ordering things "correctly"-- it just archives files and/or deltas to files.

Ah; but you are using a "real" language.. VB/Win experiences consternation
when confronted with a MAK file which is out of order.  (ie: ordering of
files within the MAK file *IS* important and can cause the program not to
run at all...)

Quote:
>: 3) Does this product support Windows For WorkGroups and/or Novell?
>:    How well?!
>I use it on novell.  What's well?

Ie: how well does it handle locking by various people of simultaneous
files; (the MS fluff mentioned that several people can edit a file at
the same time and then have Delta merge the results...)

Quote:
>: Basically, does anybody have any exposure to this product?
>yup.

How long have you been using this product; and what sort of impact has
it had on your organization?  Has it helped?  Tremendously?

Quote:
>it's still 1.0.  Rumore (net lore) has it that MS will never update it;
>that their in-house developers despise it; that it makes ya go blind...

Where was/are those rumors floating around?  Specifically; I'd be
interested in knowing of specific bugs which could impede integration
of this product into our environment...  (which group was that posted in?)

Quote:
>It cost me $99 per copy, so it was the cheapest way (at that time) to get
>a dozen users up & running.  I'd have preferred to go with PVCS, but
>their Windows interface was (then) atrocious, and I couldn't afford to
>hire a nearly full-time PVCS guru to handhold our non-vcs cognizant
>programmers.  Delta had a SHORT learning curve.

At $99 per copy; it could be possible to set up a dozen users; (that's only
$1200 plus change);but at $499.99; we're talking some fair sized coin for
a preliminary test....

Quote:
>: Pointers to ANY information pertaining to this subject (programming VB apps
>: and/or RCS under the Windows environment) would be GREATLY appreciated.
>: Thanks in advance...
>--

Thank you very much for replying!  I was beginning to think that Delta
was more vapourware...

Tue, 31 Dec 1996 00:17:44 GMT

1. Differential / delta copy -- how?

2. Differential / delta copy -- how?

3. Delta Files?

4. A control to perform WinDiff file deltas?

5. university EMR send outs

6. on the outs

7. Learning the ins and outs of Peek and Poke

8. How to handle print outs in VB?

9. Filesystem Time outs

10. Session Variable Time-outs

11. Time-outs