Looking for direction on game design.
Author Message
 Looking for direction on game design.

Hi there.

I am looking to design a game and am hoping to get some recommendations
on what language to develop it in.  First of all, here are some
charactersistics of the game:

    Typical RPG with a top-view of the game world (similar to the older
Ultimas and to some extent Heroes of Might and Magic II)
    Character would move around the world by going from square (or hex)
to square with the size of the game world being around 15 screens by 15
screens in size (relatively small for our first project).

I am relatively inexperienced at most graphics work, however have a
pretty strong background in lower-level programming.  I have VB5, Visual
C++ 5, Borland 5, Photoshop 4, and quite a few other applications that I
could use to start on the project.

As of right now, I have been doing a lot in Visual Basic 5...more to
just get a handle on what will be needed than an actual end result.  Is
VB5 a suitable development environment or would I want to go to
something like Visual
C++ 5.0?  Also, what is the best way to incorporate animation into the
game?

Lastly, I hear a lot about OpenGL and DirectX these days, and other than
knowing they are necessary to run certain games really don't know a lot
about them.  I assume that these are tools that one can interface with
through various programming languages (i.e. I know VB5 and VC++ each
have interfaces to at least DirectX) to do game-style graphics?  I that
right?  How can I learn more information about programming in it?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Sat, 11 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Looking for direction on game design.

Quote:

> Hi there.

> I am looking to design a game and am hoping to get some
> recommendations
> on what language to develop it in.  First of all, here are some
> charactersistics of the game:

>     Typical RPG with a top-view of the game world (similar to the
> older
> Ultimas and to some extent Heroes of Might and Magic II)
>     Character would move around the world by going from square (or
> hex)
> to square with the size of the game world being around 15 screens by
> 15
> screens in size (relatively small for our first project).

> I am relatively inexperienced at most graphics work, however have a
> pretty strong background in lower-level programming.  I have VB5,
> Visual
> C++ 5, Borland 5, Photoshop 4, and quite a few other applications that
> could use to start on the project.

> As of right now, I have been doing a lot in Visual Basic 5...more to
> just get a handle on what will be needed than an actual end result.
> Is
> VB5 a suitable development environment or would I want to go to
> something like Visual
> C++ 5.0?  Also, what is the best way to incorporate animation into the

> game?

> Lastly, I hear a lot about OpenGL and DirectX these days, and other
> than
> knowing they are necessary to run certain games really don't know a
> lot
> about them.  I assume that these are tools that one can interface with

> through various programming languages (i.e. I know VB5 and VC++ each
> have interfaces to at least DirectX) to do game-style graphics?  I
> that
> right?  How can I learn more information about programming in it?

> Thanks a lot for your time.

Well Jeff, it seems to me the best way to go is with C++. As far as
learning about DirectX, go to www.microsoft.com and download the latest
version of the SDK, which will also contain some help files. The help
files should be enough, unless you want to learn certain techniques in
game programming. Then, I would recommend buying the book, Windows 95
Game Developers Guide with DirectX. Hope this helps.

Sat, 11 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Looking for direction on game design.

Quote:

> > I am looking to design a game and am hoping to get some
> > recommendations
> > on what language to develop it in.  First of all, here are some
> > charactersistics of the game:
> Well Jeff, it seems to me the best way to go is with C++. As far as
> learning about DirectX, go to www.microsoft.com and download the latest
> version of the SDK, which will also contain some help files. The help
> files should be enough, unless you want to learn certain techniques in
> game programming. Then, I would recommend buying the book, Windows 95
> Game Developers Guide with DirectX. Hope this helps.

     Since you do have experience in C++, I would suggest you try out
C++ Builder. It's a superb RAD environment for this yucky language.
Don't get stuck using Visual C++ or Borland C++. Also, look up Games
Programming in Yahoo. There are a few excellent sites on game
programming with DirectX.

Sun, 12 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Looking for direction on game design.

2. Experienced Game Programmer Looking for Assistance with 2.5D Game

3. Need help on direction to start looking

4. looking for direction

5. looking for direction to auto update

6. looking for direction

7. Looking for Documentation/Direction on File Attributes

8. Game designed for Programmers

9. vb game design help...

10. vb games design help!!

11. Brain storm on game design