Compiler's..,Compiler's Explain
Author Message
 Compiler's..,Compiler's Explain

I'm sort of new to the Complier's game. I have programmed in QB4.5
for some time now and always use the built in MAKE AN EXE command
in the menu.
Are there differnt ways to make an EXE?

Whats the diffrence in Compliers? (Which file in QB4.5 is the
complier)

Fri, 05 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Compiler's..,Compiler's Explain

|> I'm sort of new to the Complier's game. I have programmed in QB4.5
|> for some time now and always use the built in MAKE AN EXE command
|> in the menu.
|> Are there differnt ways to make an EXE?
|>
|> Whats the diffrence in Compliers? (Which file in QB4.5 is the
|> complier)

The program BC.EXE is the compiler (it stands for Basic Compiler).

To compile a source code file from the command line, you
must first use BC.EXE to compile it to an object (OBJ) file.
Then you must use LINK.EXE to link it into an EXE file.

If your program uses a variety of external libraries (LIB
files) then your command line can get rather long, as you
must give the linker the path/name of every OBJ or LIB
file used by your program. All the details are in the
back of the QB45 manual.

If you intend to pursue command line compiling and
linking, you might want to look into a program called
SMAKE.EXE. It lets you embed some of the link commands
into your source, where you won't have to type them
each time at the command line.

Brian M.

Sat, 06 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Compiler's..,Compiler's Explain

Quote:

>I'm sort of new to the Complier's game. I have programmed in QB4.5
>for some time now and always use the built in MAKE AN EXE command
>in the menu.
>Are there differnt ways to make an EXE?

 Yes command-line compiling and linking. these also offer some
 better control to the programmer. You can use alternate
 library/object files for routines, etc.

Quote:
>Whats the diffrence in Compliers? (Which file in QB4.5 is the
>complier)

 BC.EXE is the compiler which translates Basic source code into
        an OBJECT file [A series of records about the program.]

 LINK.EXE is the linker which combines records from 1 or more
          OBJ/LIB files to produce a solid binary executable.

 LIB.EXE is the library manager and allows you to extract, copy,
         replace, etc OBJ files stored in libraries.

 QB??.EXE is the IDE [Integrated Development Environment] which
          permits you to edit, compile, and run programs without
          the tedious task of learning the command line options.

Sat, 06 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Compiler's..,Compiler's Explain

ZE>I'm sort of new to the Complier's game. I have programmed in QB4.5
ZE>for some time now and always use the built in MAKE AN EXE command
ZE>Are there differnt ways to make an EXE?

Well, in QuickBasic there are a few things you can do to your EXE's. You
can make them standalone, or dependant on BRUN45.EXE for example.

ZE>Whats the diffrence in Compliers? (Which file in QB4.5 is the
ZE>complier)

The compiler for QuickBasic is BC.EXE.
The difference between compilers is simply the difference in how the
compilers were programmed. For example, one compiler may have very
well programmed graphic commands, but may be lacking in other areas. A
compiler simply converts high level programming (like BASIC) into
machine language instructions.

Sun, 07 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Compiler's..,Compiler's Explain

Quote:

>I'm sort of new to the Complier's game. I have programmed in QB4.5
>for some time now and always use the built in MAKE AN EXE command
>in the menu.
>Are there differnt ways to make an EXE?
>Whats the diffrence in Compliers? (Which file in QB4.5 is the
>complier)

I am not new to compilers burt I AM new to Windoze etc. When my last
PC died I had tape backup of my software but the new machine came with
WIN95.    To cut to the chase ..  How would I set up a shortcut to run
BC & Link  on whatever source I happened to be working on at the time.
I presume I would ned more than one for various modes etc.

Thanks in advance:   -   Skip

Sun, 28 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Compiler's..,Compiler's Explain

Quote:
> Might help if you specified which compiler you're using!  QuickBasic,
> powerbasic, etc., all have Win95 versions, I believe, and they may each
> have different ways of doing that.

Whoa!!  Slow down there!  Where are you getting your information?  :-)
Production of QuickBASIC was discontinued after 1989, and PowerBasic is
only for DOS.  PB/DLL is for Windows, but it is much closer to VB than
PB, and I don't believe that there is a Win95 version of PB/DLL yet.

-Jesse

Quote:

--
====================================
Very funny Scotty!

Sun, 28 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Compiler's..,Compiler's Explain

Quote:

> I am not new to compilers burt I AM new to Windoze etc. When my last
> PC died I had tape backup of my software but the new machine came with
> WIN95.    To cut to the chase ..  How would I set up a shortcut to run
> BC & Link  on whatever source I happened to be working on at the time.
> I presume I would ned more than one for various modes etc.

> Thanks in advance:   -   Skip

Might help if you specified which compiler you're using!  QuickBasic,
PowerBasic, etc., all have Win95 versions, I believe, and they may each
have different ways of doing that.

Anyway, there should just be a menu item (under Run?) in your version of
BASIC that says Make EXE, which will compile and link your source code.

Good luck,

Brent P. Newhall
"Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating
than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill-will." -- Martin
Luther King (1929-1968), American civil rights leader

Sun, 28 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Compiler's..,Compiler's Explain

Whoa!! But PB/DLL still makes vb zillions of times faster under than Win95
than without it.
--
   --- Barry
   http://www.epix.net/~berick

Quote:
> Whoa!!  Slow down there!  Where are you getting your information?  :-)
> Production of QuickBASIC was discontinued after 1989, and PowerBasic is
> only for DOS.  PB/DLL is for Windows, but it is much closer to VB than
> PB, and I don't believe that there is a Win95 version of PB/DLL yet.

> -Jesse

Thu, 01 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. compiler said 'not enough memory'

2. Good shareware compiler on PowerBASIC's site

3. Microsoft BASIC compilers--What's out there?

4. QuickBasic compiler doesn't use the FPU!

5. COMPILER'S BUG?

6. RTF to Help files using Microsoft's Help Compiler

7. Where's the Help Compiler?

8. Compiler doesn't work... (VB 6)

9. Vb's Help Compiler

10. Where's the Help Compiler?

11. VB's help compiler & Word 97

12. Compiler switches for MS Basic Compiler 5.35