Qbasic vs QUICKBasic
Author Message
 Qbasic vs QUICKBasic

Apologies if this is covered in a FAQ...

I am currently running some programs in QBasic that use fairly large arrays.
I need to increase the array size, but I'm running into memory restraints.  So
my questions are:

1)  Does QUICKBasic make better use of extended (expanded?  I always forget
which is which) memory?  I assume that I would automatically gain some
extra array space since the program can be run in a compiled form, but is
additional array space available without compiling?

2)  Can all QBasic programs be run in QUICKBasic without modification?

Thanks in advance,

Brad.

-----
__  ..............................................................  __

Wed, 03 Sep 1997 02:35:18 GMT
 Qbasic vs QUICKBasic

Quote:

>Apologies if this is covered in a FAQ...
>I am currently running some programs in QBasic that use fairly large arrays.
>I need to increase the array size, but I'm running into memory restraints.  So
>my questions are:
>1)  Does QUICKBasic make better use of extended (expanded?  I always forget
>which is which) memory?  I assume that I would automatically gain some
>extra array space since the program can be run in a compiled form, but is
>additional array space available without compiling?
>2)  Can all QBasic programs be run in QUICKBasic without modification?

1]  Quickbasic works well with large arrays if you use the command line
        parameter AH (start QuickBasic by entering qb/AH )

2]  As far as I know.

Tracy Fletcher

Thu, 04 Sep 1997 02:04:38 GMT

------- We have a FAQ???

[> 1)  Does QUICKBasic make better use of extended (expanded?  I always forget
[> which is which) memory?  I assume that I would automatically gain some
[> extra array space since the program can be run in a compiled form, but is
[> additional array space available without compiling?

------- You need special libraries that access the EM for you. There are
quite a few such 'extenders' around, and I think most need to have a memory
manager installed. You are still limited to 64K as an array size though.

[> 2)  Can all QBasic programs be run in QUICKBasic without modification?

------- QBASIC is really a subset of QB; you will not be able to use SYSTEM
and other interpreter-specific commands. Most other things should work
fine. I do think that EOF state is raised at different times in QB and QBASIC,
so if you're reading files you might want to have a look at the EOF condition.
--
                 .------------.
--== Mariusz Zydyk at University of Calgary ==--

          \       \          /       /            I saw a tree fall and I
        ---=== Prince of Darkness ===---          didn't hear it...
            \       \      /       /              If a tree falls and there is
             \      /` .. '\      /               nobody to hear it, does it
              ` .. '        ` .. '                still squish the squirrel?

Fri, 05 Sep 1997 05:41:58 GMT
 Qbasic vs QUICKBasic

Quote:

> I am currently running some programs in QBasic that use fairly large
> arrays.  I need to increase the array size, but I'm running into memory
> restraints.  So my questions are:
> 1)  Does QUICKBasic make better use of extended (expanded?  I always forget
> which is which) memory?

QuickBASIC doesn't use expanded or extended memory at all.

Quote:
> I assume that I would automatically gain some
> extra array space since the program can be run in a compiled form, but is
> additional array space available without compiling?

Make sure your QBasic arrays are dynamic.  (Add the '$DYNAMIC metacommand,
or dimension them with a variable rather than a constant).  This will
allow you to use all available conventional memory for array storage.
You'll still be limited to 64k per array, though.

Compiled QuickBASIC programs have two advantages:  The smaller executable
leaves more free conventional memory, and you can compile with the /AH
switch, which permits dynamic arrays to be larger than 64k (although it
slows down array access).

Note that you still can't have more than 32k elements in an array,
though, so integer arrays are still effectively limited to 64k.  Arrays of
user-defined types must have elements whose size in bytes is a power of
two in order to exceed 128k.

Quote:
> 2)  Can all QBasic programs be run in QUICKBasic without modification?

There are some very minor differences, but mostly, yes.

---
Glen Blankenship

Fri, 05 Sep 1997 04:44:40 GMT

1. QuickBasic vs. QBasic

2. QBASIC vs. QuickBASIC

3. QBasic vs. QuickBasic

4. Qbasic 4.5 vs Qbasic 7.1PDS

5. qbasic or quickbasic?

6. QBasic/QuickBasic IRC channel

7. TCP/IP in Qbasic\Quickbasic

8. History of QuickBasic, QBasic, PDS, VB and VB DOS

9. command line from Qbasic/Quickbasic

10. command line from Qbasic/Quickbasic

11. Qbasic/Quickbasic & setting environment variables

12. History of QuickBasic, PDS, QBasic and Visual Basic